Kiper/McShay mock draft 2.0

Wayne Cubed

Quite a difference between these 2 mocks.

Lande has Nassib #1 on his list of 200 best prospects for the draft. We have 1 QB going in RD1,and he goes to Philly at #4.

He or Nassib I'm fine with at #8, pending their combine and pro day.

Combine and pro day shouldn't matter with Nassib since Marrone and Hackett already know him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may sound harsh, but people who don't want to draft a QB at #1 are fools (in my opinion, obviously). The basic rule of today's NFL: you have to have a QB to win. Fact: the Bills don't have one. Solution: seek one at the first possible moment every year until you find one. If the team actually practiced that mentality, Joe Flacco would be the QB of the Bills. The best LB in the world isn't going to get this team past 6-10 given their current QB situation. You literally have to roll the dice and get the best QB possible -- even if you have doubts.

Wow. I cannot even fathom a scenario where no QB is taken in the top 15.

Neither can I. I think expectations have been raised by the past two draft classes.

Specifically the great talents of Newton, Kaepernick, Luck, RG3 and Wilson.

But not all of those guys gave indication of just how impressive they would be in the NFL.

In fact, I think RG3 may be the only one who didn't have significant detractors.

Newton, for example, had a very inaccurate throwing session at his individual workout, raising concerns he was too inaccurate to be a good NFL QB. His stock rose into the first round and eventually to #1 gradually in the postseason.

Luck was considered the safest and most polished prospect, but his arm strength was questioned by some.

Luck, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson all seemed to gain a great deal of arm strength upon entering the NFL. Depending on where you read, the NFL ball is longer and slightly narrower than the NCAA ball, but one thing seems sure, it does seem to be more passer friendly.

Which brings me to this class. Has Matt Barkley really shown that he isn't a top QB prospect? What if he comes to the NFL and gains those same extra mph on his fastball? I mean, a year ago he would have been a top 5 draft pick in a great QB draft and I think in the last 20 years he may have been the first pick in 10 of those drafts based on his film. I think had the last two drafts not produced so much ready-for-primetime talent this draft would be viewed differently. There are some decent prospects.

Neither can I. I think expectations have been raised by the past two draft classes.

But not all of those guys gave indication of just how impressive they would be in the NFL.

In fact, I think RG3 may be the only one who didn't have significant detractors.

Newton, for example, had a very inaccurate throwing session at his individual workout, raising concerns he was too inaccurate to be a good NFL QB. His stock rose into the first round and eventually to #1 gradually in the postseason.

Luck was considered the safest and most polished prospect, but his arm strength was questioned by some.

Luck, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson all seemed to gain a great deal of arm strength upon entering the NFL. Depending on where you read, the NFL ball is longer and slightly narrower than the NCAA ball, but one thing seems sure, it does seem to be more passer friendly.

Which brings me to this class. Has Matt Barkley really shown that he isn't a top QB prospect? What if he comes to the NFL and gains those same extra mph on his fastball? I mean, a year ago he would have been a top 5 draft pick in a great QB draft and I think in the last 20 years he may have been the first pick in 10 of those drafts based on his film. I think had the last two drafts not produced so much ready-for-primetime talent this draft would be viewed differently. There are some decent prospects.

Really good post. You raise some intriguing points. My feeling on this class of QB's is an odd one. I have a feeling that everyone is underestimating this class. It's just a gut feeling with no basis or facts to support it. I could very well be terribly wrong, and that's fine, but I can't shake this feeling that people will be surprised how this QB class shakes out.

I agree about Barkley, The situation at USC was lousy (you just know it's not going to end well with Kiffin), and one guy can't prop an entire team. Moreover, if you actually look at his numbers in 2012 - http://www.sports-re...-barkley-1.html - they were terrific. 36 TDs/15 INTs, 63.6 completion pct., and and 8.5 ypa (best of his career at SC).

It's tough to lose a game where you lead the team to 51 points yet still lose by two scores because your defense gives up 730 yards: http://www.sports-re...california.html .

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't see the big deal with no QB drafting in the first 15, or even the first round. Heck remember a few years ago when tebow was the only one drafted. And none of the other QBs that were rated high didn't go until late 2nd or third round.

I don't see the big deal with no QB drafting in the first 15, or even the first round. Heck remember a few years ago when tebow was the only one drafted. And none of the other QBs that were rated high didn't go until late 2nd or third round.

You did miss one QB taken in that draft.

Sam Bradford.

Really good post. You raise some intriguing points. My feeling on this class of QB's is an odd one. I have a feeling that everyone is underestimating this class. It's just a gut feeling with no basis or facts to support it. I could very well be terribly wrong, and that's fine, but I can't shake this feeling that people will be surprised how this QB class shakes out.

I will add this, I don't think there is ANY question that the NFL game is also less physical for quarterbacks than the NCAA. Not having to worry too much about those kill shots takes a load off their minds and keeps them healthier.

I agree about Barkley, The situation at USC was lousy (you just know it's not going to end well with Kiffin), and one guy can't prop an entire team. Moreover, if you actually look at his numbers in 2012 - http://www.sports-re...-barkley-1.html - they were terrific. 36 TDs/15 INTs, 63.6 completion pct., and and 8.5 ypa (best of his career at SC).

It's tough to lose a game where you lead the team to 51 points yet still lose by two scores because your defense gives up 730 yards: http://www.sports-re...california.html .

The single biggest reason this organization has had so many woeful seasons is that they haven't tried hard enough and smart enough to get good quarterbacks.

Said it so many times, the Bills could have drafted a QB with their first pick every year for the past 13 non-playoff seasons and they would be no worse off than they are today. In fact, they would be better because, as you mentioned, they would have their starting QB.

Also said it many, many times: the Bills have not drafted a QB with their first pick in any draft since Richie Lucas in 1960. Inexcusably short sighted.

And I don't even think they have actually traded for or signed another teams starting QB since the SB era began......unless Vince Ferragamo was still a starter in LA.

All this, while only having a franchise QB for 10 of those 53 seasons. Inexcusable.

I understand that they made some attempts, when you don't have one, you gotta go ALL IN sometimes. Not NEVER.

The single biggest reason this organization has had so many woeful seasons is that they haven't tried hard enough and smart enough to get good quarterbacks.

Said it so many times, the Bills could have drafted a QB with their first pick every year for the past 13 non-playoff seasons and they would be no worse off than they are today. In fact, they would be better because, as you mentioned, they would have their starting QB.

Also said it many, many times: the Bills have not drafted a QB with their first pick in any draft since Richie Lucas in 1960. Inexcusably short sighted.

And I don't even think they have actually traded for or signed another teams starting QB since the SB era began......unless Vince Ferragamo was still a starter in LA.

All this, while only having a franchise QB for 10 of those 53 seasons. Inexcusable.

I understand that they made some attempts, when you don't have one, you gotta go ALL IN sometimes. Not NEVER.

What round was George Shaw picked in?

What round was George Shaw picked in?

The Bills have used first round picks on QB's and they have traded them for other teams backups. But since 1960, never drafted one with their actual first pick.

Their is a distinction because when it is more important for you to draft Tony Hunter than Jim Kelly, well, you were certainly luckier than you were good that day.

That's where the luck ran out though. That was 30 years ago.

Chris Brown stated on the radio yesterday that he spoke with Nix during the season and Nix stated Smith only was told to read half the field and make a decision. Brown intimated basically that Nix may think he's limited mentally because he said the Wonderlic and other team test will impact opinions on QBs like Smith.

I guess that explains Buddy's pursuit of Vince Young. :flirt:

I am not sold on any of the QB prospects. This is a defense heavy draft, and the Bills are just as likely to succeed with someone like Dysert who carried arguably one of the worst offensive supporting casts out of this draft class, than a Gino Smith who cooled off towards the end with a decent team around him. Similar arguments can be made for Barkley's situation. Wilson also looks like he could develop into a starter. I guess my point is that with no clear standout in the group why reach so high?