It was very depressing to watch two QBs who throw the ball like that

eball

Flacco was not good yesterday, the out jump, or turn around and wait for it completions are a credit to his wide outs. Don't over react because his team won. Kaepernick has an absolute rifle on the other hand.

Some people are blind no matter how well they claim to see.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure of this story that is purported that Buddy was 'sold' on Fitz. He prioritized other areas of the team and while there's certainly plenty to criticize him there. I've seen nothing beyond they thought they could win games with Fitzpatrick while upgrading other areas of the team. Given the state of our Defense and where our offense was ranked, I'd say they were right. That the Defense was a bigger problem than QB was.

Everyone wants to go Al Davis on this team.

This^

Fotz was a caretaker plain and simply. They gave him a contract that a QB like him gets. A solid starter in the NFL.

Flacco was not good yesterday, the out jump, or turn around and wait for it completions are a credit to his wide outs. Don't over react because his team won. Kaepernick has an absolute rifle on the other hand.

Flacco looked posessed in the 1st half. That was damn impressive

All I could think about last night, watching those two guys throw dart after dart, is how depressing it has been to look at the parade of QBs march through Buffalo over the past dozen years.

Kaepernick looks absolutely sick. He throws an unbelievable ball, with pinpoint accuracy. His pick was just an overthrow that sailed. That being the first game of his I've watched from start to finish, I am totally sold and understand completely why Harbaugh made the decision he did.

If Kaep stays healthy, the 49ers will be the team to beat for years to come. I'd take him over RGIII (even before his injury) straight up and hands down.

Flacco, meanwhile, showed what he can do with protection and some good receivers, and his ability to hit the deep throw is uncanny.

Please, Buddy/Doug, find us a QB.

What these two qbs demonstrated is that the most important attributes for the success of a qb is not the type of qb you are (running or pocket passer or a combo of both) what is critical is arm strength and accuracy. Both are attributes that you either have or don't have. I thought Flacco was spectacular in this game. His accuracy, even under duress, was stunningly good. If you consider Kaep's lack of experience his composure on this stage was also quite impressive. Just think Buddy Nix drafted Aaron Williams in the spot that Kaepernick was available? Simply laughable. In Nix's three year stint his stable of qbs are Fitz, Thigpin, T. Jackson, V. Young and Levi Brown.

There are a number of good qbs in this year's draft. It's the GM and his staff's job to get the right one for this team. There are no more excuses for this pathetic situation to continue. Isn't a generation long enough?

I don't have any faith that we'll get a decent QB here any time soon. Our FO is horrible.

But even if we did, we don't have any dynamic WRs to throw to, so what's the point. We have one guy that can get open 5-10 yards down the field, and everyone else you can cover with a sloth.

:D :D :D Cardinal you qb guru you are at it again! Flacco won the MVP and had 12 td's 0 Int's in the postseason IIRC. Show the man some love, i know he's no #14 but he crushed it all playoffs. Agree to Disagree times 40 million.

Flacco played immaculate QB (outdueled Peyton anyone?). Shook Aldon Smith out of his shoes at point blank range. I mean not good is not the correct term IMO.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I'm not sure of this story that is purported that Buddy was 'sold' on Fitz. He prioritized other areas of the team and while there's certainly plenty to criticize him there. I've seen nothing beyond they thought they could win games with Fitzpatrick while upgrading other areas of the team. Given the state of our Defense and where our offense was ranked, I'd say they were right. That the Defense was a bigger problem than QB was.

Everyone wants to go Al Davis on this team.

Buddy signed him to his current starter money contract. His effort at upgrading the competition have been to bring in a 7th round pick, a pistol offense guy off the scrap heap, Vince Young, and a guy that the coach promised would never see the light of day. If he was really worried about the talent at the position, he has a bizarre track record over 3 years of showing it.

I love Fitz' attitude but it was depressing. Fitz just throws screens and slants. These guys got cannons. Fitz isn't the close to the worst QB in the league like some make him out to be but we were so limited with him.

Geno Smith can make all those throws. Manuel has a more than strong enough arm. Barkley has the resume. Just please draft a QB capable of throwing the ball down the field. It's been so long.

Buddy signed him to his current starter money contract. His effort at upgrading the competition have been to bring in a 7th round pick, a pistol offense guy off the scrap heap, Vince Young, and a guy that the coach promised would never see the light of day. If he was really worried about the talent at the position, he has a bizarre track record over 3 years of showing it.

The only hope is that Gailey told him Fitz is the guy and to do what you can to make him productive. But it's pretty inexcusable to not have a developmental QB at worst on the roster.

The only hope is that Gailey told him Fitz is the guy and to do what you can to make him productive. But it's pretty inexcusable to not have a developmental QB at worst on the roster.

And that is squarely on the GM. Even if the coach can't see that his QB situation is a dumpster fire, someone in the organization has to have the talent evaluation skills and foresight to lay down a path into the future. Nix just collected pedigrees under the "once upon a time, I think he did something" slogan.

For every Kaepernick/RGIII/Luck, there's two or three Tebows, Gabberts, Lockers, Ponders, Kolbs, Cassels. Too many people look backwards with 20/20 hindsight and talk about how all the "professionals" should have been able to predict who would be great and who would be busts. There's simply no way to predict with unfailing accuracy who will be great and who will be average.

Tom Brady had to endure *six* other QBs being selected before him before New England threw him a bone. That's every single team in the league passing on one of the NFL's best QBs in history.... numerous times. And yet you are ready to burn Buddy Nix in effigy for not selecting Kaepernick when the defense was ranked in the bottom of the NFL for several years.

Fitz was so bad in 2012 (83.3 QB rating) that he was only a few points better than Andrew Luck (76.5). And Fitz didn't have Reggie Wayne to throw to.

Fitz may not be elite status, but to throw him under the bus is just plain stupid. The odds of getting a rookie who will outperform a veteran when the current roster is so devoid of receiving talent seems ludicrous. But flip that same argument to the receivers and the odds of getting a WR who can outperform the others are actually very good. Any GM should look at which position will receive a BIGGER upgrade, WR or QB? And at the moment, the odds favor the WR position.

Flacco did perform wonderfully in the Super Bowl. But it's also pretty evident that Boldin, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta and Torry Smith are talents that make the Bills receivers look like high schoolers. Boldin and Jones could arguably have been the games MVPs. Boldin was a BEAST in that game who made clutch catch after clutch catch to keep the sticks moving.

And that is squarely on the GM. Even if the coach can't see that his QB situation is a dumpster fire, someone in the organization has to have the talent evaluation skills and foresight to lay down a path into the future. Nix just collected pedigrees under the "once upon a time, I think he did something" slogan.

Yeah, I don't know but if the Bills don't spend a 1st or 2nd on a QB this year, there's no reason he should be with the team. Personally, I think he might be gone after the draft anyways. And if the 1st or 2nd pick doesn't work out, draft another QB high next year.

It's really embarrassing to teams like Buffalo and several others for passing on guys like Kaepernick and Wilson. I appreciated Kap going in, but seeing him last night... yeah, his arm and accuracy are sick. Once he learns to read NFL defenses in his sleep...he will be amazing.

Simms even hinted at it...you need arm strength in today's NFL.

I've been a Glennon guy going into this draft because he has a sick arm, and Flacco-ish mobility. I feel like if we draft Nassib, the Bills are getting, maybe a slightly upgraded Fitzpatrick. I dunno.

No it's not. If San Francisco knew he was that good they would have taken him in the first. Don't get me wrong, they deserve some credit, they did trade up for him.

For every Kaepernick/RGIII/Luck, there's two or three Tebows, Gabberts, Lockers, Ponders, Kolbs, Cassels. Too many people look backwards with 20/20 hindsight and talk about how all the "professionals" should have been able to predict who would be great and who would be busts. There's simply no way to predict with unfailing accuracy who will be great and who will be average.

Tom Brady had to endure *six* other QBs being selected before him before New England threw him a bone. That's every single team in the league passing on one of the NFL's best QBs in history.... numerous times. And yet you are ready to burn Buddy Nix in effigy for not selecting Kaepernick when the defense was ranked in the bottom of the NFL for several years.

Fitz was so bad in 2012 (83.3 QB rating) that he was only a few points better than Andrew Luck (76.5). And Fitz didn't have Reggie Wayne to throw to.

Fitz may not be elite status, but to throw him under the bus is just plain stupid. The odds of getting a rookie who will outperform a veteran when the current roster is so devoid of receiving talent seems ludicrous. But flip that same argument to the receivers and the odds of getting a WR who can outperform the others are actually very good. Any GM should look at which position will receive a BIGGER upgrade, WR or QB? And at the moment, the odds favor the WR position.

Flacco did perform wonderfully in the Super Bowl. But it's also pretty evident that Boldin, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta and Torry Smith are talents that make the Bills receivers look like high schoolers. Boldin and Jones could arguably have been the games MVPs. Boldin was a BEAST in that game who made clutch catch after clutch catch to keep the sticks moving.

Fitz' repetoire of throws is painfully limited. He could have the 89' Nners skill guys on the recieving end instead of the Bills group of no-bodies and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I've seen nothing to believe anything beyond they thought they could win games with Fitz. Given the offense's ranking and the way the Defense performed. It seems they were right that they Defense is an issue and games could have been won with Fitz at QB.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. People want a dynamic QB and Buddy should be criticized for not addressing the position more aggressively, but the fan on this forum have changed the narrative that they thought they could win with Fitzpatrick with improved performance from other areas to "They believed Fitzpatrick was a long lost Manning brother".

The results seem to indicate had the defense improved (another area for criticism), they would have been ok with Fitz at QB.

It's not like he was the one avoiding pressure, scrambling around, and making pin point throws all over the field where only his guys could get it in the biggest game of his career in a contract year capping off one of the best post seasons a QB has ever had...

But please proceed to give him no credit.

2010 QB draft class:

Round 1 - Sam Bradford (STL), Tim Tebow (DEN)

Round 2 - Jimmy Clausen (CAR)

Round 3 - Colt McCoy (CLE)

Round 4 - Michael Kafka (PHI)

Round 5 - John Skelton (ARI), Johathan Crompton (SD)

Bradford was selected with the first pick in the first round. Buffalo had the 9th pick (C.J. Spiller). I don't think too many people would look at this draft class and swap out Spiller for one of the others.

2011 QB Draft Class

Round 1 - Cam Newton (CAR), Jake Locker (TEN), Blaine Gabbert (JAC), Christian Ponder (MIN)

Round 2 - Andy Dalton (CIN), Colin Kaepernick (SF)

Round 3 - Ryan Mallet (NE)

Round 4 - none.

Round 5 - Ricki Stanzi (KC), T.J. Yates (HOU), Nathan Enderle (CHI)

Buffalo had the #3 pick. Marcell Dareous (round 1), Aaron Williams (round 2, pick #3).

Here I can say that Nix and company blew it. Williams is not showing his potential. He may have the tools to be a good cornerback, but he's getting beaten way too often. Picking Dalton (pick #4) or Kaepernick (pick #5) here would have been significantly better. But you can't really fault the picking of Dareus given the circumstances.

2012 Draft Class:

Round 1 - Andrew Luck (IND), RGIII (WAS), Ryan Tannehill (MIA), Brandon Weedon (CLE)

Round 2 - Brock Osweiler (DEN)

Round 3 - Russell Wilson (SEA), Nick Foles (PHI)

Round 4 - Kirk Cousins (WAS)

Round 5 - none

Luck, RGIII and Tannehill were already off the board by the time the Bills selected at the #10 pick. Wilson was a surprise to everyone. Nobody saw that coming given that the Seahawks had already signed Matt Flynn by the time the draft happened. The jury is still out on Tannehill, Weedon, Foles and Cousins.

Overall

Okay, so in 3 draft classes it's possible to point to ONE out-and-out mistake by Nix. Pooh-pooh happens. Given just how bad the defense has been, I can't lay too much blame at Nix's feet given that we now have Spiller, Dareus and Gilmore. If Nix selects a QB in the first round, I gotta think there's an above average chance he'll be decent.

I've seen nothing to believe anything beyond they thought they could win games with Fitz. Given the offense's ranking and the way the Defense performed. It seems they were right that they Defense is an issue and games could have been won with Fitz at QB.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. People want a dynamic QB and Buddy should be criticized for not addressing the position more aggressively, but the fan on this forum have changed the narrative that they thought they could win with Fitzpatrick with improved performance from other areas to "They believed Fitzpatrick was a long lost Manning brother".

The results seem to indicate had the defense improved (another area for criticism), they would have been ok with Fitz at QB.

I wouldn't dispute that. I think there is a lot of truth to the idea that Gailey was convinced he could scheme around Fitz's limitations. That Fitz wasn't the Big Problem and thus they needed to address defense primarily. On the other hand, their plan has been exposed: drafting runners and defensive players is outdated thinking. Today's NFL trend is all about throwing the football and having a QB that can light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine.

Gailey was an enigma. Despite focusing on fixing the defense (draft and free agency) and drafting Spiller very high, he just seemed to disappear into his role as an OC and let his defense be run by others (who turned out to be overmatched) and built an offense around a QB that had the will but not the talent to operate it consistently at a high-level. If the only talent one is going to add to the offense is a RB and tinkering with the line, one might think an identity of running the ball is coming ... until you see empty backfield sets used in every situation...

Overall

Okay, so in 3 draft classes it's possible to point to ONE out-and-out mistake by Nix. Pooh-pooh happens. Given just how bad the defense has been, I can't lay too much blame at Nix's feet given that we now have Spiller, Dareus and Gilmore. If Nix selects a QB in the first round, I gotta think there's an above average chance he'll be decent.

Who was responsible for converting from DJ's Tampa 2 to a 3-4 and then back to a 4-3, in just 3 years? Doesn't Nix deserve blame for never sticking to a scheme, not drafting adequately to fit either, and ultimately ranking near the bottom in most statistical categories?

And why would a QB taken by Nix in the first have an above average chance at success? He's told us how so many QB's in the 2011-12 weren't good enough already.

I really hope they keep Nix out of the draft room and give him a gold watch the following day at his retirement.