Pats: Bad winners, even worse losers

I'll admit it's part jealousy for me, too. But I think that's human nature to hate something/someone because they keep getting what you want. For the same reason someone said about the Dolphins, I'm tired of being the Pats' B word.

What I can't stand is the arrogance. Belichick acts like he is God's gift to football and then is a sore loser (what the H was up with him keeping the hood on last night during the postgame handshake with Harbaugh?). Brady gets the calls on the field and then whines like a little girl when he doesn't. This seems true of the entire team, also.

Don't get me started about the fans, either. I know a good amount of Boston-based fans and not all are bad. However, the majority are just God-awful arrogant and ignorant about their team. If they don't win, it's the officials' fault. If they do win, they could have won by more. True story...during the 2007 season, I met a Patriots fan while on vacation. When he shook my wife's hand he asked how it was to be touching perfection. That said it all right there.

:huh: ...so he actually thought that he was perfect due to the fact that he was a Pats* fan, as if he as a fan had anything to do with the Pats* records and SB wins??.... :doh: :doh:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: I should add, the Packers, Steelers, Giants et al have not dominated even remotely as the Pats have dominated. 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years to begin their dynasty is more dominant than any team since the AFL-NFL merger.

Aikmans cowboys won 3 of 4 SB's

I didn't just mean the 3 Super Bowl wins, I meant the "dynasty" overall although it doesn't read that way. The 3 wins in 4 years was just the start but they've consistently dominated for 12 years, much longer then those other teams. The Cowboys tailed off pretty quickly. The 49ers extended run is probably pretty comparable.

:huh: ...so he actually thought that he was perfect due to the fact that he was a Pats* fan, as if he as a fan had anything to do with the Pats* records and SB wins??.... :doh: :doh:

Correct. And this was in November of that year when the Pats* went 16-0...they still had about 4-5 games left.

I think I pulled a muscle in my face, since my jaw dropped so fast.

Has anyone said that Ray Ray actually stabbed those guys, or just obstructed justice?

I lived in Atlanta at the time of the incident. It appears Lewis covered for some of his friends that were involved. Basically, he lied to the cops about what he knew but he was never really a suspect in the "murders". I quote "murder" because the suspects were eventually acquitted based on self-defense. Basically, it looks like a fight broke out and Lewis' friends brought knives to that fist-fight. Lewis actually testified against his friends as part of a plea deal. It is reported that Lewis broke away from his childhood friends after that incident and made friends with better people. Oddly, Lewis now gives a free physical conditioning program to local cops in Baltimore.

Hey, wait a minute! I'm a Celtics fan.

Ditto - have been since the Russell era. (Never could stand Wilt, Lareem, Magic, Worthy, Jerry West, Rambis, etc.)

Plenty of green jerseys in my house, Promo. Hats, too!

How about the Red Sox? Biggest team in the city for decades and they go down the crapper for a few years and fans are embarrassed to be associated with them now.

Gotta disagree, my friend. You don't know Sox fans very well.

They've been thru the same hell as Bills fans - no title from 1918 until 2004, and tantalzingly close so many times (I was a season ticket holder for the 1986 fisasco) - but they supported the team and ALWAYS drew their 2 million at Fenway, no matter what.

They may rag on their team, just like we Bills fans do when we lose, but it's out of love and frustration. There're no shortage of Red Sox gear being worn in Boston. And just go ahead and try to buy a ticket at Fenway.

JMO, of course.

Edited by The Senator

And just go ahead and try to buy a ticket at Fenway.

I went to RedSox.com and bought tickets for a game this past May... Paid like $25/each for outfield on the first base side (is that right field? Shows how much I know about baseball), 3-4 rows up from the field (on an aisle too!). There were a ton of seats available, and I bought outfield only because I didn't want to pay a couple hundred bucks for infield seats.

Scanning some of the Chowderhead message boards, their defense of Belichick's pissiness comes down to two main points:

1. He and Brady hate losing.

Yes, so we should all lay off and be sensitive about their feelings. After all, this league made up entirely of world-class athletes and coaches who have dedicated their lives to a sport? All of THOSE guys like to lose. Brady and Lord Grumbledore are the only ones who are ACTUALLY competitive and DISLIKE defeat.

2. The media have mistreated Belichick ever since "Spygate" (chowderheads actually put it in quotes) and so therefore he doesn't owe the media nothin'.

This point is pretty funny because it completely ignores the constant fawning-over the Pats receive.

So basically it all comes down to hurt feelings, according to the Massh*les. Well, boys, I think you could all just pop a Midol and get in front of the camera for 90 seconds instead of looking like the bunch of sore-ass losers you are.

Happy Patriots Schadenfreude Day, everyone!

I went to RedSox.com and bought tickets for a game this past May... Paid like $25/each for outfield on the first base side (is that right field? Shows how much I know about baseball), 3-4 rows up from the field (on an aisle too!). There were a ton of seats available, and I bought outfield only because I didn't want to pay a couple hundred bucks for infield seats.

Yes, that would be right field (Dwight Evans' turf, back when I lived there - 1st base was, of course, Bill Buckner).

Obviously, you bought those seats on the street and they came from someone who couldn't make the game. I know that - back when I had season tix - it was tough dragging yourself to five games a week, no matter how much you love baseball or the Red Sox!

Am suprised you were able to get seats so cheaply (a bleacher-seat costs more than that at the box office), but probably 'cause is was only May (very early in the season) - and also all the BU kids, who usually fill the cheap seats, were probably gone already.

Yes, that would be right field (Dwight Evans' turf, back when I lived there - 1st base was, of course, Bill Buckner).

Obviously, you bought those seats on the street and they came from someone who couldn't make the game. I know that - back when I had season tix - it was tough dragging yourself to five games a week, no matter how much you love baseball or the Red Sox!

Am suprised you were able to get seats so cheaply (a bleacher-seat costs more than that at the box office), but probably 'cause is was only May (very early in the season) - and also all the BU kids, who usually fill the cheap seats, were probably gone already.

No, it was directly from the RedSox, not from a fan. Unless fans can give tickets back and the Sox re-sell them themselves? I don't know, but the billing was directly to the Sox and I just looked up the order confirmation email as well. (and tickets were $28, not $25). And there were a ton of seats to choose from when I ordered.

To see if it was a fluke, I just went to RedSox.com, selected the May 6th game against the Twins, and there are $28 bleacher seats available to purchase right now...

And I was one of those BU kids - it was graduation week, and I went there on vacation to get my masters degree. :)

KSK with an excellent summary. Happy Patriots Schadenfreude Day everyone!!

One might think with the amount of recent postseason failure that the Pats have endured that our reveling in their downfall might start to wane. Quite the contrary. If anything, it only grows with each new disappointment, with each report that Bill Belichick refused to meet with the media after being humiliated on the field, with each critical Wes Welker drop that produced disbelief from fawning media. Like a connoisseur who finds new things to love about a fine art or craft, our appreciation for Patriots failure has only matured and broadened.

I guy I play hockey with is a pats STH. He texted me calling Brady a kitty and Welker sux yadda yadda. New England fans are fair weather. Just look at the Celtics. Win an NBA title and everyone's a fan. Green jerseys everywhere. Try finding one now.

PTR

The most fickle fans in sports, at least outside of LA.

Look at the Bruins earlier in the 2000's. You couldn't give tickets to those games away. They put a good product on the ice and all of a sudden the Chowdaheads love dere Bruins again.

Like you said, look at the Celtics. They've ridden the wave of popularity from the bottom to the top, and are sinking toward the bottom again.

Look at the Patriots before the Belicheat era. No fan support.

They're terrible fans, and even worse (just like Philly fans) they expect their team to win every game, and cry like it's the end of the world when they don't. The difference is, Philly fans will spew vitriol about the team, the players, the coaches, the refs, the owners, the league, etc. and still show up next year. They love their sports and they are super passionate about it, and knowledgeable too, as obnoxious as their mannerisms are.

Boston fans knowledge is basically: 1) We're winning. Championship baby! 2) We're losing, we suck. 3) Shut up, the Sox/Celts/Bruins/Pats have ____ more rings/titles/cups/trophies than (insert your team here)

I lived in Atlanta at the time of the incident. It appears Lewis covered for some of his friends that were involved. Basically, he lied to the cops about what he knew but he was never really a suspect in the "murders". I quote "murder" because the suspects were eventually acquitted based on self-defense. Basically, it looks like a fight broke out and Lewis' friends brought knives to that fist-fight. Lewis actually testified against his friends as part of a plea deal. It is reported that Lewis broke away from his childhood friends after that incident and made friends with better people. Oddly, Lewis now gives a free physical conditioning program to local cops in Baltimore.

This was my basic understanding of it too. They were at a Super Bowl party, a fight broke out between some of Lewis' friends and the group including the deceased individuals. Ray Lewis was not actually "involved" in the part of the scuffle that ended up with 2 people getting stabbed to death, but obviously knew who was, and supposedly disposed of the lovely white suit he was wearing that night.

If he was guilty of anything, obstruction of justice/tampering with evidence. He probably should have just been smarter and not dumped the suit. His celebrity status would have earned him the benefit of the doubt.

No, it was directly from the RedSox, not from a fan. Unless fans can give tickets back and the Sox re-sell them themselves? I don't know, but the billing was directly to the Sox and I just looked up the order confirmation email as well. (and tickets were $28, not $25). And there were a ton of seats to choose from when I ordered.

To see if it was a fluke, I just went to RedSox.com, selected the May 6th game against the Twins, and there are $28 bleacher seats available to purchase right now...

And I was one of those BU kids - it was graduation week, and I went there on vacation to get my masters degree. :)

OK, I'm wrong on all counts!!!

Except, clearly what you call "seats in the outfield" are actually in the bleachers (they used to cost 6 bucks), where most of the BU troublemakers sit. B-)

(A good many of them are actually Yankees fans!)

Edited by The Senator

Except, clearly what you call "seats in the outfield" are actually in the bleachers (they used to cost 6 bucks), where most of the BU troublemakers sit. B-)

I told you I know next to nothing about baseball! :lol: I was in section L42, row 5, and it was pretty awesome though! :)

In my experience (in Northern VA) Spygate looms large in the minds of fans of other teams. Personally, I started hating the Patriots long before they were caught cheating, and it was because they were suffocatingly dominant. I actually rooted for them in the Super Bowl against the Rams and felt it was a great story. That feeling quickly dissipated.

It's hard to say, though. The petulance and whining wasn't evident right away. I think the tantrums came along because they expect to win like a spoiled child expects to get the toy he/she wants. Maybe it's all so intertwined that it's difficult to split hairs at this point.

Anyway, !@#$'em.

EDIT: I should add, the Packers, Steelers, Giants et al have not dominated even remotely as the Pats have dominated. 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years to begin their dynasty is more dominant than any team since the AFL-NFL merger.

Really? Steelers had 4 in 6 years. Then the Steelers had 2 in 4 years. 49ers had 5 in 11 years. I think both of those franchises are much better dynasties and dominated much more than the patsies have. The difference was when they did lose, the fans didn't disappear and they weren't whining about it.

I have a friend who is a Browns fan who told me that when Hoodie was in Cleveland the team hated him. He said that Kosar had Hoodie in a headlock and people had to pull him off the guy. Now he's in New England. With Tom Brady. The team is well-coached, and they seem to have the home field advantage even on the road. But without Tom Brady they would be in deep trouble.

Plus, they cheat. Anybody remember the game in November 02? They ran about 16 screen plays, and every one went for at least 15 yards. It was as if they knew our defense calls. Turns out they did. They cheated. How fun is it to cheat?

Really? Steelers had 4 in 6 years. Then the Steelers had 2 in 4 years. 49ers had 5 in 11 years. I think both of those franchises are much better dynasties and dominated much more than the patsies have. The difference was when they did lose, the fans didn't disappear and they weren't whining about it.

The Patriots are still winning convincingly on a regular basis and continue to be legitimate Super Bowl contenders in year 12 since their first Super Bowl win. The Steelers teams of the '70s fell off pretty quickly after their 4th Championship. The 49ers were pretty comparable as I said in another post, but by the time they won their 5th, Dallas had overcome them as the league's dominant franchise.

My point was about consistency over the longhaul. The Patriots have been considered the NFL's "premier" franchise over the course of the past 12 years and the standard by which other team's are judged. Cheating almost certainly played a role, I wouldn't argue that. In fact, I'd argue in favor of it being a key factor leading to their success. Regardless, they and their fanbase have devolved into whiny bitches.