Could Tarvaris Jackson become our starting QB?

What's everyone yapping about--this is proof that Buddy didn't ignore the QB situation. He addressed it just fine.

An excellent point. And one that might even be worth mentioning had I said anything even remotely related to that discussion. <_<

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB with NFL experience, we already paid for him with a draft pick so why not use him?

He would know his role. He is better than Fitz as a pocket passer and has a longer arm.

could be a reasonably priced short term solution. Maybe.

I am of the camp we do NOT pay or trade for a FA quarterback. Its Fitz with a significant restructuring or TJ.

I think Marrone is going to start who ever he drafts. I really think thats the plan.

If the kid fails thats one scenario i wont consider , but if he struggles let him learn. Marrone and Hackett can run a simplified offense fairly well from what i have read. Just to get the rookie confidence and ramp it up when we have more impact WR's next year.

If he gets injured thats another scene.

Marrone and Hackett were able to use the run game well enough and i think that might be our strength this coming season.

so all said yes Tavaris Jackson could. IF Hackett likes him enough.

ps yes i know he is ufa : )

Edited by 3rdand12

Who is the post that said keep him because he is cheaper that Fitz. WoW Real brain there. We need a good quarterback- not a cheap one. Thank you!

The comparison was between Fitz and TJ. Between the two, the talent level is no different. However, the cost is significantly different.

OMFG. I never imagined such hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over a 7th rd pick...for a b/u QB no less.

Did it ever occur to y'all that there was NEVER any intention to start Tarvaris Friggin Jackson unless Fitz went down & the sole purpose of the move was to have a better backup? What is so hard to understand about that?

Common Sense. Don't spoil the party !! Please God let me out of this topic :worthy: Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

The difference was that we paid him somewhere between 1.7 to 2.5M, something you don't do when you draft a guy in the 6th round. And I think it is a big difference.

And there's more to be ticked off about than just that. For one - this is the NFL. Why would you have any QB on the roster that you didn't believe could step in and maybe take you places? What is the sake of having players on a roster - especially at the most critical position - that you know are totally limited and aren't even capable of dressing? Jackson was paid that money as insurance against Fitz getting hurt - that is all. I believe they kept Jackson from dressing because they tied themselves to Fitz, and didn't want a better option just sitting on the bench while Fitz stunk it up week in and out. Can you imagine! They were so worried that either Fitz would be intimidated and lose out in a competition with any QB with real talent, or they didn't want to look foolish for signing him to that contract. Either way, their decision for not having QB's on the roster with a spark of potential is unforgivable. It screams that they were NOT trying to win it all, at all costs, but were trying to cover their butts. That is worth getting fired over, IMO.

My only question in regard to that whole situation is this: was it Gailey who insisted on the QB situation remaining the way it was? If Nix wanted to bring in someone else, but Gailey said, "trust me - I can win with Fitz" then it is more palatable. But, still - it's a GM's job to make sure the best talent is there, and to keep the coach's perspective straight, if need be.

One difference though...Fitz would cost us 7.5M in actual cash next year (3M roster bonus and 4.5M in Salary). However, if Tavaris is simply given a chance to compete for a job, may be he re-signs for the same 2-3M for this year with incentives. At least you are getting a slightly cheaper QB.

A fair point. I for one would like to see the Bills pursue either Seattle's path (going for the best FA QB they can identify as well as a quality draft pick at QB) or Redskins (draft 2 quality QB)

There's something unexplained and unfathomable about the whole TJax thing. I don't think "slightly cheaper" should drive a QB decision.

Edited by Hopeful

A fair point. I for one would like to see the Bills pursue either Seattle's path (going for the best FA QB they can identify as well as a quality draft pick at QB) or Redskins (draft 2 quality QB)

There's something unexplained and unfathomable about the whole TJax thing. I don't think "slightly cheaper" should drive a QB decision.

One thing to consider guys and gals is why didn't TJ usurp Thigpen at some point.

Jackson's skill set and experience are far superior. i mean after the draft pick clause was avoided.

Was Buddy trying to be cute ? i dont understand it.

Is he just trade bait? did they stash him for this seasons backup. Just odd management. :thumbdown:

OMFG. I never imagined such hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over a 7th rd pick...for a b/u QB no less.

Did it ever occur to y'all that there was NEVER any intention to start Tarvaris Friggin Jackson unless Fitz went down & the sole purpose of the move was to have a better backup? What is so hard to understand about that?

Yeah - that's fair really - when they brought him in, they hadn't given up on Fitz yet, and all they had behind Fitz was Thigpen.

(TJ == Fitz) > Thigpen

Agree with others regarding Matt Moore - the guy's pretty underrated really - he's one of the better FA options out there, assuming Flacco is re-signed. You could argue Moore over Alex Smith with a lot of credibility.

Edited by BobChalmers

It's hard to understand why waste pick, and spend so much money for a qb who was not a backup, but a 4th qb who didn't run plays at practice or dress for games. Don't kid yourself, fitz' backup was thingpen, and his backup was smith. We should have the extra 1.5mil and 7th rnd pick right now, and it may sound like much, but repeated missteps like that accumulate to a failing organization with sub par personel...which is what the bills have been...I think that's why people make a big deal about things like this.

What respectable organization would trade a pick and pay that salary to get a guy for ONE YEAR, and not even dress him?...I can't think of one.

It's hard to understand why waste pick, and spend so much money for a qb who was not a backup, but a 4th qb who didn't run plays at practice or dress for games. Don't kid yourself, fitz' backup was thingpen, and his backup was smith. We should have the extra 1.5mil and 7th rnd pick right now, and it may sound like much, but repeated missteps like that accumulate to a failing organization with sub par personel...which is what the bills have been...I think that's why people make a big deal about things like this.

What respectable organization would trade a pick and pay that salary to get a guy for ONE YEAR, and not even dress him?...I can't think of one.

Come on, man. It's not that hard. If the Bills are 6-4 after 10 games and Fitz breaks his throwing arm, you bet your ass TJ would dress and there's a good possibility he starts. Imagine if we were 6-4, Fitz goes out, Thigpen's our QB, and the only QB behind him is Brad Smith. Do you think in that situation you'd say, "I'd much rather have a 7th round pick and save roughly 2% of the payroll (that won't count against next season's cap) than have a viable b/u QB now that our playoff run is on the line and Brad Smith is our safety net"?

The only way your version of events makes sense is if they went into the season expecting to lose.

I think its only fair to take into consideration how they got him. Nix had his eye out for him it seemed. Reports i read said that Buddy had already made some attempts to get him. The deal was done at the end of camp so he had nothing to work with. still...

http://www.nfl.com/n...rtedly-unlikely

"One possible quarterback candidate in New York? Tarvaris Jackson, according to Schefter, based on shared ties with new general manager John Idzik. When he was with the Seattle Seahawks, Idzik was a supporter of Jackson, who spent the past season with the Buffalo Bills."

Please no TJ, let him go to the Jets!

Edited by santoro770

http://www.nfl.com/n...rtedly-unlikely

"One possible quarterback candidate in New York? Tarvaris Jackson, according to Schefter, based on shared ties with new general manager John Idzik. When he was with the Seattle Seahawks, Idzik was a supporter of Jackson, who spent the past season with the Buffalo Bills."

Please no TJ, let him go to the Jets!

Just saw this scroll a across on NFL Network

I guess I never really looked into this before, so Nix traded a sixth round pick away for a QB that did nothing but show up at practice and wear street clothes on game day so that the pick wouldn't escalate to a higher draft pick and he's a free agent at the end of the year? Why is Nix still around? What exactly did they gain by trading for Jackson? My God it's worse than I thought.

Retarded beyond belief. Why is Nix still on this staff?