Could Tarvaris Jackson become our starting QB?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First we need to outbid everyone else for his services in 2013. I saw him play a lot with the Seahawks in 2011. He was OK. Not that great. He played hurt part of the year to his defense. I wouldn't be against re signing him, but he would have to win the job in training camp. He might, you never know. I suspect our opening day starter will be Ryan Nassib, not Tarvaris Jackson.

If you're going that route Matt Moore is the better option. Tarvaris Jackson isn't the worst, but he's not an improvement. There's a reason MN & SEA let him walk and why he didn't dress all season. He's not very accurate and doesn't make great decisions. He's like Fitz in that he's a great backup but a mediocre starter at best.

Tarvaris wasn't an SEC Quarterback, so you may want to change that.

To answer your question, Yes, he could... I don't think he'd be as effective as some other veterans, but he could start.

The value I see in having Tarvaris around, is having an extra whip to push guys in training camp. I don't see him beating anyone who's worthy out of a job.

Good Backup. I'd keep him on the roster.

He is an UFA.

I guess I never really looked into this before, so Nix traded a sixth round pick away for a QB that did nothing but show up at practice and wear street clothes on game day so that the pick wouldn't escalate to a higher draft pick and he's a free agent at the end of the year? Why is Nix still around? What exactly did they gain by trading for Jackson? My God it's worse than I thought.

I guess I never really looked into this before, so Nix traded a sixth round pick away for a QB that did nothing but show up at practice and wear street clothes on game day so that the pick wouldn't escalate to a higher draft pick and he's a free agent at the end of the year? Why is Nix still around? What exactly did they gain by trading for Jackson? My God it's worse than I thought.

And paid him somewhere between 1.7M to 2.5M to do just that :wallbash: :wallbash: Nix deserves to be kicked out of this organization for what he did to the QB situation over the past three years.

Realistically though, that's all a 6th round pick is worth. You have a tiny chance of the player becoming a quality starter.....similar to the chance that TJ is/was going to become a quality starter.

Realistically though, that's all a 6th round pick is worth. You have a tiny chance of the player becoming a quality starter.....similar to the chance that TJ is/was going to become a quality starter.

The difference was that we paid him somewhere between 1.7 to 2.5M, something you don't do when you draft a guy in the 6th round. And I think it is a big difference.

The difference was that we paid him somewhere between 1.7 to 2.5M, something you don't do when you draft a guy in the 6th round. And I think it is a big difference.

It is a big difference.....but maybe they thought there was a larger chance TJ could pan out compared to a rookie 6th rounder QB.

IMO the error that they made was to not draft a QB in rounds 2-4 last year. Having made that choice(error) they are then in the position of needing a backup QB and determined that TJ was the best option(which he likely was a good option under those considerations).

QB with NFL experience, we already paid for him with a draft pick so why not use him?

no

Tarvaris wasn't an SEC Quarterback, so you may want to change that.

To answer your question, Yes, he could... I don't think he'd be as effective as some other veterans, but he could start.

The value I see in having Tarvaris around, is having an extra whip to push guys in training camp. I don't see him beating anyone who's worthy out of a job.

Good Backup. I'd keep him on the roster.

I see you're a big Nassib fan ;)

And paid him somewhere between 1.7M to 2.5M to do just that :wallbash: :wallbash: Nix deserves to be kicked out of this organization for what he did to the QB situation over the past three years.

Hopefully he "resigns" after the draft. It maybe a situation like Modrak were he had too much time invested into that years draft and then as soon as it was over he was gone.

We owe a 7th that would have escalated to a sixth if he had gotten an opportunity to put on a uniform this year (I believe the cutoff was 6 games).

QB with NFL experience, we already paid for him with a draft pick so why not use him?

Let go. Set your sights way higher. It's kind of like settling for Honey Boo Boo's mom when you know Erin Andrews is what you're really hoping for.

The whole Tarvaris Jackson trade thing is one of life's unexplained mysteries.

Tarvaris is essentially what Fitz is - a statistically middle-of-the-pack NFL starter who can both win and lose games for you, and who is not and will never be elite. He has a somewhat better arm and a somewhat worse ability to read and react to defense. There is good reason why both the Vikes and the Seahawks moved on - the latter by both drafting AND FA signing.

That's not to say TJax couldn't be a servicable interim solution with the right people and game plan around him - but so could Fitz and the later is signed. (I'll be surprised if we pay him his $3 million roster bonus, though)

You got it, except it's a 7th round pick since TJax didn't start >6 games. Good question. Got no answer for you.

I will be mightily disappointed (along with lots of other fans) if we start the season with the current quarterback roster. And like Seattle, I'd prefer to see us both sign a FA and draft a QB

Edited by Hopeful

The whole Tarvaris Jackson trade thing is one of life's unexplained mysteries.

Tarvaris is essentially what Fitz is - a statistically middle-of-the-pack NFL starter who can both win and lose games for you, and who is not and will never be elite. He has a somewhat better arm and a somewhat worse ability to read and react to defense. There is good reason why both the Vikes and the Seahawks moved on - the latter by both drafting AND FA signing.

That's not to say TJax couldn't be a servicable interim solution with the right people and game plan around him - but so could Fitz and the later is signed.

You got it, except it's a 7th round pick since TJax didn't start >6 games. Good question. Got no answer for you.

One difference though...Fitz would cost us 7.5M in actual cash next year (3M roster bonus and 4.5M in Salary). However, if Tavaris is simply given a chance to compete for a job, may be he re-signs for the same 2-3M for this year with incentives. At least you are getting a slightly cheaper QB.