Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For real? 51 pages on this stupid topic? It's really such a stupid story...so stupid MTV has a regular series dedicated to this type of thing. Why on earth is this stupid story still being talked about here or in the media still? I mean who really cares about a made up girlfriend? Nobody even got hurt other than Teo supposedly...yet it's getting more attention than more serious news stories.

For real? 51 pages on this stupid topic? It's really such a stupid story...so stupid MTV has a regular series dedicated to this type of thing. Why on earth is this stupid story still being talked about here or in the media still? I mean who really cares about a made up girlfriend? Nobody even got hurt other than Teo supposedly...yet it's getting more attention than more serious news stories.

I just opened this thread to laugh about 1000 replies to a thread about some guys imaginary girlfriend. You beat me by 3 minutes. :lol:

I just opened this thread to laugh about 1000 replies to a thread about some guys imaginary girlfriend. You beat me by 3 minutes. :lol:

Although I sort of agree, I think it's obvious why--- a player the Bills have been tied to in several mock drafts at a position of desperate need has been accused by the media of essentially being a sociopath (though this is likely not the case). In light of the Bills' season being over, the new coach and staff being hired--- that's pretty relevant, no?

Edited by Punch

And this is why I said that it would be logical for Team Te'o to no longer pursue this issue. Again, if he chooses to sue Tuiasosopo, it would only bring greater scrutiny on evidence which may not help Te'o's case. There is a vast grey area here and it is far from a black and white issue.

Dibs did not miss anything. There is a wide range between those who are stating that Te'o is absolutely innocent in all his actions and those stating the opposite.

The Notre Dame people said that they "did not examine cell phone records, e-mails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te'o's communication over the past few years with the person claiming to be Lennay Kekua…."

The entire issue of Te'o's embellishment of facts (again, HIS WORDS) has not been determined. He admitted to perpetuating the belief that he had met Lennay. Some of his teammates do not believe that Manti is a totally honest or innocent person in this situation. If a person repeatedly talked about a girlfriend and marathon phone calls all the while gaining enormous positive publicity, there is a chance that he not only was naive, but also acted badly within his circumstances.

Faustus, there is an equal and equally vocal number of people here (actually more by my count) who think Manti is completely innocent of everything. I think that belief is equally delusional as those who think he was completely complict in this scheme (not me).

Why is it hard to believe that Manti was deceived, but also that he made a bad decision to take the ball (enormous positive publicity with little or no basis) and run with it?

Because it's too easy to get caught! I'm not saying it didn't happen, but since you ask why it so hard to believe, that's why. I find it VERY hard to believe that someone who knows good and well how intense media attention can be would make a decision to pursue such an easily dissected lie. I find it far more easy to believe that he was taken in by the scam and panicked when he learned the truth.

Either way, my question above stands. Why would anyone's standby position be "just wait, hopefully we can destroy his life when a little more info comes out!!!!" ?

First of all, I certainly don't want to "destroy anyone's life." I'm much too busy making sure I don't destroy my own. :)

This is an interesting discussion to me about how people choose to become invested on sides of an issue. Nothing I've said in my posts in this thread is incorrect and I've not been carrying a vendetta like others have.

I don't know how to make it any more clear: I asked the question bolded above. Your reply is also bolded. You think that "because it's too easy to get caught" is the reason Manti wouldn't fudge things but in fact he admitted that he did. He admitted to embellishing the relationship. My "standby" position is not a standby position. It's a position based on Manti's own words.

Again, I agree with those upthread who said that Manti was fooled by the hoax but then likely tried to capitalize on it (his embellishments). Then without him anticipating it, the whole thing blew up into something he hadn't anticipated.

Unbelievable and quite pathetic these people are doing this to a 21 year old kid. I know sjbf will never admit he's wrong when it comes to football, but this isn't about football, its about this guys future. What a p#ss poor showing by him and orhers.

Teo was the target of a very elaborate hoax. Introduced by a family friend, even his cousin told him lennay was real. He was provided with pictures , a female spoke to him on the phone. I can't imagine NOT falling for that for some period of time.

2 other people have come forward to say renaiah pulled this crap on them too, including miss Hawaii. Are they in on it too covering for teo ? With everything that's come out to believe teo was "in on it" approaches the degree of paranoia to conclude bush was "in on 9/11".

I never admit I'm wrong?

A piss poor showing by me?

You easily have over 60 posts in this thread, all ridiculously biased against any objectivity (BTW, didn't you have a Manti Te'o avatar or was I only imagining that?).

I'm giving Manti exactly the benefit of the doubt that he deserves from what we know. I've not condemned him nor am I giving him a free ride.

Your Manti crusade in this and other threads should compel you to look in the mirror before insinuating that others are claiming infallibility and that you're somehow on higher moral ground here.

I don't know if you lack the ability to be honest on this topic or if it's simply beyond your ability to comprehend.

edit: Until more information comes out, I'm done with this thread.

Like I said earlier, Manti would probably do well to let this die, as opposed to the numerous suggestions upthread that he file a legal action.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Good Lord! I even pasted some of the relevant part of the article so you wouldn't have to read it.....and I get that response????

The article states that upon questioning, the university said that the investigators didn't interview T'eo....nor his family....nor Tuiasosopo....nor any of his family. They didn't look into T'eo's phone records....nor his emails....nor any other electronic communications he had in relation to the situation.

In short.....they took T'eo at his word and didn't investigate anything in relation to whether he might or might not have been in some way complicit in the situation.

With all of the strangeness involved in this(Tuiasosopo being known to T'eo.....close enough for T'eo to plug his youtube single on twitter, the picture of the girlfriend being a prom queen from T'eo's high school, the extraordinary amount of time/effort that the as yet unnamed "girlfriend" put in to the hoax, etc, etc, etc).....it is fully reasonable to think that T'eo might well have been involved.

I have said before, all T'eo need do is show his phone records to one of the hundreds of reporters that would love to be able to break the story that he was indeed a victim and not a perpetrator in the hoax.

Girl was not from Te'os school, the media got that wrong, might want to check several sources next time.

LOL SO FUNNY,t 19-LOLOLOLOL.

Katie Couric interviewing Te'o along with his parents. Will be aired Thursday.

Still nothing from that chicken s#*+ renaiah.

More proof of T'e'o's attention whoredom. More proof that he is another Lance Armstrong. The kid is a liar. Plain and simple.

First of all, I certainly don't want to "destroy anyone's life." I'm much too busy making sure I don't destroy my own. :)

This is an interesting discussion to me about how people choose to become invested on sides of an issue. Nothing I've said in my 5-6 posts in this thread is incorrect and I've not been carrying a vendetta (double digit posts in this thread) like others have.

I don't know how to make it any more clear: I asked the question bolded above. Your reply is also bolded. You think that "because it's too easy to get caught" is the reason Manti wouldn't fudge things but in fact he admitted that he did. He admitted to embellishing the relationship. My "standby" position is not a standby position. It's a position based on Manti's own words.

Again, I agree with those upthread who said that Manti was fooled by the hoax but then likely tried to capitalize on it (his embellishments). Then without him anticipating it, the whole thing blew up into something he hadn't anticipated.

The "standby position" wasn't directed at you, just like my original question wasn't directed at you. But I also think your taking the embellishment point in the completely wrong direction. He has said he embellished because he didn't want people to think he was weird for having a relationship with someone he never met. You may believe that or not, but to continue to use his statement as an admission of using this fake girlfriend story for publicity purposes is just plain false.

How do you figure?

I figure, because he rode this as long as he could.

He waited until after Heismans and bowl games.

He was too naive to know he was being fooled, yet he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut until he could stage an interview with Katie Couric after the NFL Conference championship games, but before the Super Bowl. I'll buy that. I'll buy it while I'm signing the lease on my oceanfront property in Arizona.

This guy is a fraud.

I can't believe no one sees through this guy.

I figure, because he rode this as long as he could.

He waited until after Heismans and bowl games.

He was too naive to know he was being fooled, yet he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut until he could stage an interview with Katie Couric after the NFL Conference championship games, but before the Super Bowl. I'll buy that. I'll buy it while I'm signing the lease on my oceanfront property in Arizona.

This guy is a fraud.

I can't believe no one sees through this guy.

Heisman voting was done by Dec 6th when he found out, BCS Champ game he had the weight of knowing this was going public since HE HAD REPORTED IT TO NOTRE DAME OFFICALS!!!

Heisman voting was done by Dec 6th when he found out, BCS Champ game he had the weight of knowing this was going public since HE HAD REPORTED IT TO NOTRE DAME OFFICALS!!!

I'm sorry, but I simply refuse to think this kid is a victim of anything other than mental illness. And I hope he gets the help he needs.

Hmmmm. Any way to tell exactly who has been posting in this thread and how many times they have been?

More proof of T'e'o's attention whoredom. More proof that he is another Lance Armstrong. The kid is a liar. Plain and simple.

And, if he didn't do an interview, you'd be calling for his head, like everybody saying Come on it's been 36 hours!