Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

I just sent that link to my wife to decipher. It's WAAAAY too soap opera for me to even begin to understand. I do like the angles that could happen in the near future.

A) This has already been initiated... The damage control angle, where Te'o gets ND to back him and they both claim hoax. This is a great angle, because if he is lying, then he also drags ND down with him.

B) Te'o is gay and this is all a big cover to hide his true lover. The Catholic university as well as his own and family's Mormon faith play a large role too, especially since his father is now either in on the coverup or is being used by his son unknowingly.

C) Te'o and his co conspirators made up the whole thing to enhance his position.

D) Te'o was hoaxed, he found out, and was blackmailed. this could tie into the gay angle.

I don't watch too much in the way of soap operas, but this is like a February Sweeps storyline here.

or

E) He was the victim of a hoax. Couldn't that also be possibility?

Not sure why everyone finds the online relationship so hard to believe. And the kid doesn't need to be *stupid* to believe it was real, just naive...

Anyone watching the ND Press Conference?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or

Not sure why everyone finds the online relationship so hard to believe. And the kid doesn't need to be *stupid* to believe it was real, just naive...

I'd get the online hoax if he didn't vacation with her in Hawaii. Aren't people claiming that happened? I still don't know what the !@#$ is going in here but didn't he say that? I don't know. This is a mind !@#$.

or

No no no. First of all, hes talked openly about meeting her in person, which of course he never did. Also, even if he had and he really considered her his girlfriend, dont you think when she died if he would have gone to her funeral? Kinda seems something a boyfriend would do.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

if you believe that i have a cooler for sale.... :D

or

No no no. First of all, hes talked openly about meeting her in person, which of course he never did. Also, even if he had and he really considered her his girlfriend, dont you think when she died if he would have gone to her funeral? Kinda seems something a boyfriend would do.

exactly, or when she was in coma and fighting cancer, he would at least visit her in hospital, at least once?

And another of his tweets:

You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing.

Draft this guy now. He's awesome.

Can we please ban the word "kid" from this thread? He was a senior in college, living on his own for 4 years.

And another of his tweets:

You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing.

99% sure that isn't a verified account. I feel like I remember checking that.

if you believe that i have a cooler for sale.... :D

Ha :D

Missed the HI meeting part - though Swarbrick from ND is sort of explaining it. Guess we'll know more tomorrow when he speaks and takes questions.

Strange, strange, strange story no matter how this turns out!

Freaking. Bizarre.

I posted this on Facebook earlier: This is the most bizarre day I can think of since Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on the same day.

Obama gun control press conference? Kucinich joining Fox News? Chip Kelly going to the NFL after all? And finally, Manti Te'o and the imaginary girlfriend.

This day couldn't get any weirder, could it?

(Edit: I thought I told Poojer -- I posted it, but I can't find where I thought I told him.)

Edited by TheFourHorsemen

Freaking. Bizarre.

I told Poojer this on Facebook earlier: This is the most bizarre day I can think of since Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on the same day.

Obama gun control press conference? Kucinich joining Fox News? Chip Kelly going to the NFL after all? And finally, Manti Te'o and the imaginary girlfriend.

This day couldn't get any weirder, could it?

We can only hope!

I'd get the online hoax if he didn't vacation with her in Hawaii. Aren't people claiming that happened? I still don't know what the !@#$ is going in here but didn't he say that? I don't know. This is a mind !@#$.

Two possibilities explain that

1) he lied about really meeting his online gf cause he didnt want to admit he had an online gf he hadnt met cause that sounds super lame

2) the girl in the picture really is behind this and he met her using the fake name

And as a by the way - it's now rumored the guy had used this account for other fake relationships and it was opened in 2008. Teo claiming they met in 2009, right? Just some further info

Two possibilities explain that

1) he lied about really meeting his online gf cause he didnt want to admit he had an online gf he hadnt met cause that sounds super lame

2) the girl in the picture really is behind this and he met her using the fake name

And as a by the way - it's now rumored the guy had used this account for other fake relationships and it was opened in 2008. Teo claiming they met in 2009, right? Just some further info

When his "girlfrieid" died, Te'o just said forget it and didn't go to her funeral? Or did the hoax team also created a fake funeral for Te'o to attend?

Edited by syhuang

Among the 501 things about this that are hard to believe - Nobody who knew the girl in the picture (friend, family, friend of a friend, professor, cashier at the coffee shop she frequents....whoever) recognized her in any of these stories espn/cbs ran and said "hey she's not dead"?

It would be nice to hear some psychiatrists,psychologists,even those with psych majors reply to this thread. I have some background in Psych. I know a guy who also was caught lying about a fake Girlfriend showing off a fake pic of her to friends(one which he obtained from an unknowing real girls facebook page). My take is Mr. Teo is trying very hard to appear normal in his sexuality and hiding something completely abnormal, (attraction to dogs,kids,cartoon characters,or small aquatic plants) Or just gay and afraid to come out.

Might not make him a bad guy just struggling. Probably explains why he sucked so bad in his final most important game.Had to be hard to focus on playing knowing what was about to surface.

When his "girlfrieid" died, Te'o just said forget it and didn't go to her funneral? Or did the hoax team also created a fake funneral for Te'o to attend?

He had a game that day

If you were running the hoax you'd pick a day he'd have a game and tell him to play. Him trying to attend blows it all up.

He had a game that day

If you were running the hoax you'd pick a day he'd have a game and tell him to play. Him trying to attend blows it all up.

and never visit her grave afterward even once? how about when she was in coma and fighting cancer in hospital, he also never visit her once?

and never visit her grave afterward even once? how about when she was in coma and fighting cancer in hospital, he also never visit her once?

That could very well be why this came apart in the first place

Perhaps he was pushing to visit and that's why she died suddenly and he found out at the end of the semester when he tried? Just thinking out loud