Kiper Mock 1.0 is out

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're raising a red flag and basically calling Teo a dog (read: Aaron Maybin) based off of one game? And you freely admit you haven't really paid attention to his collegiate performance otherwise? Do I have that about right?

Brilliant!

On the other hand, how many of Von Miller's college games did you watch? Must've been all of 'em for you to proclaim that he "never" had a game where he was overmatched or had a bad day.

You're laying some pretty hefty whoppers on us.

Teo plays with a fire that Aaron Maybin couldn't duplicate if he drank a gallon of gasoline and swallowed a match. Maybin basically played one year at PSU and was given the "future star" tag by a bunch of geniuses who probably never picked up a football. Teo, meanwhile, is a four-year standout who just completed a senior year in which he was a Heisman finalist.

Yeah, your comparison totally makes sense!

C'mon, the dude -- and the entire team, by the way -- has one stink-ola game and suddenly he's trash. Well, I guess Thurman Thomas' career was complete garbage for his performances in three Super Bowls, right?

Here's my analogy on Te'o...

I play beer league hockey. I'm a goalie. Two seasons in a row I lead my league in wins and goals against average. So when a higher league filled with college level players needed a fill-in goalie, they asked me to play. I got destroyed.

So what is the lesson? Did I just have one bad game and my career in the beer leagues shows I'm a quality goalkeeper, or did playing against superior talent expose the limits of my ability?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No way on this guy. I hate to say it but this weird stuff with his girlfriend is a huge red flag.

A guy drafted in the top 10 needs to be a cornerstone player for this team- no red flags or weird off the field things unless we are talking about the next Ray Lewis.

Te'o is so overrated. Many of the teams he played against will be lucky to have more than one guy get drafted. He got blown up and run over by an Alabama offensive line that was very good but still not elite and by running backs that are second rounders at best. Te'o in round three - sure. Otherwise no thank you. He is all Notre Dame hype.

No way on this guy. I hate to say it but this weird stuff with his girlfriend is a huge red flag.

A guy drafted in the top 10 needs to be a cornerstone player for this team- no red flags or weird off the field things unless we are talking about the next Ray Lewis.

You mean the mormon kid beating off in his college dorm room while having phone sex with his fake girl friend... I want my LB in the strip club thank you very much...

As a Notre Dame fan I'm totally against that pick. The guy has a ton of heart, but he's just the kind of player that the Bills have been trying to win with for the past decade, high character instead of high athleticism. If the Bills wer picking more in the middle toads first then I'd be more comfortable with it, but 8 is way too high in my opinion.

I'd take Jarvis Jones but he plays 3-4 and I think (hope) we still run a 4-3 so not sure if thats gonna occur with Te'o coming in second.. NO TO NASSIB IN THE FIRST FOR THE LOVE OF THE GUY ABOVE.... I sick of people saying a guy is to small.. I could name a 10 players right now that have been said to be to small that play better than guys prototypical size. So please in the words of the great MC Shan "KILL THAT NOISE"...

LMAO! Now I'm a Ray Lewis fan till the end but you do know this guy had a murder charge right??? You gotta be kidding me if you think Ray Lewis murder charge isn't a far worst red flag than lying about a dead girlfriend thats not dead because she doesn't exist. Nobody died my good sir..

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Ogletree

I guess I don't share the same opinions on draft value as many others here at TBD.

Shouldn't the top 10 - for the most part - be reserved for QB's, blind-side tackles, and pass-rushers?

Exceptions can include likely Pro Bowlers at other positions who are so good that they can regularly impact the direction of a game for roughly 50% of the total plays. Examples at ILB/MLB would be Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis. In Buffalo Bills terms, that would be RB's like Adrian Peterson or CB's like Darrelle Revis.

Now of course this isn't a rigid drafting "rule of thumb" of mine. A lot depends on the depth of the draft and the peculiar needs of a franchise at any given time. But for the most part, a team shouldn't make its fans suffer through such a miserable season for the privilege of drafting a guy that projects as a quality starter but one who otherwise can't significantly change the fortunes of the team.

To get more specific, I like Ogletree and think he will make a fine 4-3 LB. But would he make as big of a difference in a game's outcome as one of the projected blue chip pass rushers in the 2013 draft? There are thought to be 5 of them in this one (Moore, Werner, Jones, Mingo, Jordan), with at least one of them who will fall to us when you factor in the QB's, Joeckel, Lotulelei, and even Milliner going top 7. The Bills can still get quality 4-3 LB's in rounds 2-6 if they do their scouting homework. But the chance to land a regular 10-15 sack guy to pair opposite Mario Williams and flanking Dareus and Kyle Williams? That would give Pettine's attacking defense a chance to be regularly top 5 in the NFL.

Buffalo's top 8 at the moment should be the 5 aforementioned pass rushers plus Joeckel, Geno Smith, and Tyler Wilson.

Edited by Marc Miller

Cant judge these players on one game. TeO was outstanding in college, he won a ridiculous amount of awards, had a pretty solid body of work and we happen to have the worst linebackers in the NFL. Shep is just awful, that was huge miss in a spot where we needed a homerun.

I want us to take the BPA from the available pool of receivers, LB or QB for the first two days of the draft. Take all three positions, rank em up and take the best of the best.

Here's my analogy on Te'o...

I play beer league hockey. I'm a goalie. Two seasons in a row I lead my league in wins and goals against average. So when a higher league filled with college level players needed a fill-in goalie, they asked me to play. I got destroyed.

So what is the lesson? Did I just have one bad game and my career in the beer leagues shows I'm a quality goalkeeper, or did playing against superior talent expose the limits of my ability?

PTR

Its those college kids gettin in your head PTR. Go back out there and take one more shot at em, keeping in mind the New England Patriots model for winning. Get lucky and cheat. As the saying goes, Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

I guess I don't share the same opinions on draft value as many others here at TBD.

Shouldn't the top 10 - for the most part - be reserved for QB's, blind-side tackles, and pass-rushers?

Exceptions can include likely Pro Bowlers at other positions who are so good that they can regularly impact the direction of a game for roughly 50% of the total plays. Examples at ILB/MLB would be Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis. In Buffalo Bills terms, that would be RB's like Adrian Peterson or CB's like Darrelle Revis.

Now of course this isn't a rigid drafting "rule of thumb" of mine. A lot depends on the depth of the draft and the peculiar needs of a franchise at any given time. But for the most part, a team shouldn't make its fans suffer through such a miserable season for the privilege of drafting a guy that projects as a quality starter but one who otherwise can't significantly change the fortunes of the team.

To get more specific, I like Ogletree and think he will make a fine 4-3 LB. But would he make as big of a difference in a game's outcome as one of the projected blue chip pass rushers in the 2013 draft? There are thought to be 5 of them in this one (Moore, Werner, Jones, Mingo, Jordan), with at least one of them who will fall to us when you factor in the QB's, Joeckel, Lotulelei, and even Milliner going top 7. The Bills can still get quality 4-3 LB's in rounds 2-6 if they do their scouting homework. But the chance to land a regular 10-15 sack guy to pair opposite Mario Williams and flanking Dareus and Kyle Williams? That would give Pettine's attacking defense a chance to be regularly top 5 in the NFL.

Buffalo's top 8 at the moment should be the 5 aforementioned pass rushers plus Joeckel, Geno Smith, and Tyler Wilson.

Agreed. I'd vote against drafting ogletree @8 if I had a vote. Werner, j jones, Jordan and mingo in that order. Grab a coverage LB in rd 3-5

I'd take Jarvis Jones but he plays 3-4 and I think (hope) we still run a 4-3 so not sure if thats gonna occur with Te'o coming in second.. NO TO NASSIB IN THE FIRST FOR THE LOVE OF THE GUY ABOVE.... I sick of people saying a guy is to small.. I could name a 10 players right now that have been said to be to small that play better than guys prototypical size. So please in the words of the great MC Shan "KILL THAT NOISE"...

LMAO! Now I'm a Ray Lewis fan till the end but you do know this guy had a murder charge right??? You gotta be kidding me if you think Ray Lewis murder charge isn't a far worst red flag than lying about a dead girlfriend thats not dead because she doesn't exist. Nobody died my good sir..

We're likely going to mix it up a lot. I don't really see us having a base defense. Pettine likes to mix it up and put our players talents to use.

Kiper's an idiot. Have a hard time believing that no QB will be taken in top 10, or even as he says in the first round. Last time that happened was 1996 with no QBs in first round and 2000 with no QB in top 10. Very unlikely.

Not that I'm a huge Kiper fan, but the first thing he says is:

A few things are going to happen between now and the end of April, shifting what you see here:

• A quarterback will rise -- maybe more than one. Based on my current evaluations, and in talking to teams, it's fair to say there's a really lukewarm feeling on this QB class. But the draft process is huge for QBs, and by April, need and draft economics will push some QB (or two) up the board.

Not that I'm a huge Kiper fan, but the first thing he says is:

In other words, this is a useless mock draft which will change 100 times between now and April, including the 5 iterations the mock draft will go through in the week leading up to the draft.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

ARRRRRGGGGGHHH. There is no such thing as a "stretch" for a QB in the first round if your decision makers believe you have found a guy to lead your team for the next ten years. And Nassib is WAY too obvious.

Sure, it's not a stretch for the FO.

But it's a stretch in real life, when our STAR QB OF THE FUTURE ends up being another failure in a long string of failures. :)

I'd rather see the Bills trade down and pick up Minter in the late 2nd and then use the other picks to get another LB, a WR, and a QB. If the Bills did pick at 8 I'd want them to go for Jarvis Jones if he's still there or Dee Millner. Ogletree looks really small for a linebacker and reminds me of a more talented Brian Scott. I wouldn't be too upset if the Bills got him but I feel that there are better players.

In other words, this is a useless mock draft which will change 100 times between now and April, including the 5 iterations the mock draft will go through in the week leading up to the draft.

They really all are, useless that is, except to generate discussion.

Sure, it's not a stretch for the FO.

But it's a stretch in real life, when our STAR QB OF THE FUTURE ends up being another failure in a long string of failures. :)

Success or failure has little to do with whether the guy is drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round. If they identify a guy to lead this team and be our next QB, grab him asap. It's a QB league and we need one badly.

How about Ogletree or J. Jones? I think I'd rather have either one of them at LB than Te'o at this point.

I agree. Jones won't be there at 8. Ogletree will, though. I think if we want to go LB with our first pick it will have to be Ogletree, unless we trade up for Jones. There are some interesting prospects at LB who might be there in rounds 2 and 3, also - not a ton, but we could come out of the first four rounds with 2 starting caliber LB'ers. Add a WR and QB and I'd be very happy.