Chip Kelly Hired as New Eagles Head Coach

@ESPN_Numbers

The Patriots had the fastest time per play in the NFL this season at 24.9 seconds. Under Chip Kelly- Oregon was 20.9. That's fast. #Eagles

Going to be interesting to see how defenses try to keep up.

makes sense - kelly worked with BB in the offseason.

it really is about total offensive plays more than time of possession when you talk about grinding a team down. as long as he has success on 3rd downs, his own defense should be able to hang.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Can't wait to see how many Bills Fans complain how cheap the Bills are for not getting Kelly when money wasn't the issue

Not this one.

He will have zero impact in the NFL. Zero. See "Steve Spurrier".

Then, see "Bobby Petrino".

Edited by Mr. WEO

@ESPN_Numbers

The Patriots had the fastest time per play in the NFL this season at 24.9 seconds. Under Chip Kelly- Oregon was 20.9. That's fast. #Eagles

Going to be interesting to see how defenses try to keep up.

Contrary to popular belief, the Ducks did not run plays at blur speed at all times. They never huddle, but they have three different speeds (medium, fast and blur) at which they run plays and they change up the timing during the game. This prevents the defense from adjusting.

It will definitely be interesting to see how he adapts to the pro game. I don't think he will just install the U of O system in Philly and let it rip, but certainly he will be aggressive and innovative. I predict he will be a big success and I'm jealous of the Eagles. Not unhappy with Marrone, though.

Edited by mannc

yeah i don't even know who he is, but i thought it was interesting...especially the part about stanford and the qb situation...but something tells me that he had a bigger payroll at Nike U then he will at Philly...

evans says a lot of things. ive never been a big fan of his predictions.

i assume these means the eagles search was going poorly and they essentially privately told him to name his price and demands and got it finalized.

im looking forward to seeing what his scheme does. with mccoy and brown in the backfield and jackson/maclin outside.... if he finds his qb it could be fun to watch. even if it flops, im curious as a fan of the game.

Eagles def have the weapons, but they still need a QB who can run that offense. Wonder who the new Oregon coach will be. Nike will prob pay $$$$$$ to get a top coach there. Who is left? Lovie Smith??!!

Not this one.

He will have zero impact in the NFL. Zero. See "Steve Spurrier".

Then, see "Bobby Petrino".

That is a lazy comparison. I can't say for sure that Kelly will succeed in the NFL, but to state that he will have "zero impact" because Petrino and Spurrier failed is utter nonsense. Kelly is infinitely smarter and harder working than either of those guys.

Eagles def have the weapons, but they still need a QB who can run that offense. Wonder who the new Oregon coach will be. Nike will prob pay $$$$$$ to get a top coach there. Who is left? Lovie Smith??!!

It is unlikely that the Ducks will go outside the program for the next hire. Supposedly, Mark Helfrich (Kelly's right-hand man) is set to take over. There are some boosters, however, who are pushing for a splashy hire like Chris Peterson of Boise State. I don't think that will happen though. I think they will go for continuity.

Contrary to popular belief, the Ducks did not run plays at blur speed at all times. They never huddle, but they have three different speeds (medium, fast and blur) at which they run plays and they change up the timing during the game. This prevents the defense from adjusting.

It will definitely be interesting to see how he adapts to the pro game. I don't think he will just install the U of O system in Philly and let it rip, but certainly he will be aggressive and innovative. I predict he will be a big success and I'm jealous of the Eagles. Not unhappy with Marrone, though.

I could see it going either extremely well or horrible. This is the ultimate boom or bust hire IMO

yeah i don't even know who he is, but i thought it was interesting...especially the part about stanford and the qb situation...but something tells me that he had a bigger payroll at Nike U then he will at Philly...

he was the pats fullback, then saints....

he isnt the worst out there but i dont feel like hes incredibly insightful on these kinds of things.

I'm thinking that Kelly might have heard that the NCAA is going to come down on Oregon more forcefully than he originally thought, and thought better of spurning the NFL again.

Exactly. The NCAA has been investigating for a long time. This is the Pete Carroll story over again: take the big $$$ and clear out just before the Sheriff shows up.

That is a lazy comparison. I can't say for sure that Kelly will succeed in the NFL, but to state that he will have "zero impact" because Petrino and Spurrier failed is utter nonsense. Kelly is infinitely smarter and harder working than either of those guys.

Not lazy. Spurrier was also regarded as an innovator in college who would bring his "fun and gun" game to the pros. It didn't happen.

The Petrino reference was comparing Petrion's bolting from Louisville to the Falcons and back to the college before the end of the season. Given Kelly's very public vacillation between staying in Oregon, leaving for the NFL, then staying in Oregon, then leaving for the NFL--I thought the possibility that Kelly could pull a Petrino was possible, and the comparison was therefore obvious.

I see no evidence so far that Kelly is "infinitely smarter" than Spurrier.

and that really sucks if it turns out to be true...oregon will be screwed and chip kelly will face no penalties even though he and knight were probably the drivers...the kids get punished....

Exactly. The NCAA has been investigating for a long time. This is the Pete Carroll story over again: take the big $$$ and clear out just before the Sheriff shows up.