Matt Flynn may be available from Seattle, Bills interested?

Hopefully they will and I want no part of Flynn, but we must have a capable backup and that will most likely be a vet unless the Bills pull a Snyder.

I'd just keep Fitz. IMO, he is absolutely perfect for the backup/ mentor/ spot starter role. Levi Brown raved about Fitz helping him when he was here.

It's my hope the Bills can find a team to switch picks with in the 20-29 pick range that's willing to give up their 2014 first round pick (target Minter LB, Jones C, Olgetree LB, Austin WB). The reason being is that I want the Bills to use their 2nd round pick this year on EJ Manuel then also have some serious "insurance" ammunition to move up for a franchise QB in the 2014 draft (that is of course if EJ Manuel doesn't look like the real deal by seasons end).

Manuel is interesting and reminds me a bit of Russel Wilson. The only thing is he seems really inconsistent and misses too many throws. I have doubts if can develop into a full time starter. Personally though, I'd have 0 problems with them going QB with their 1st 2 picks.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, no wonder he didn't make it.

If JP Losman say them game like Fitz does, he'd still be our QB. Fitz gets every ounce out of his physical ability. How many people can say that? 7th rounder from Harvard that is undersized and has a weak around made a good NFL career and started a bunch of games for 3 different teams. He'd be a great mentor.

I mean, the Bills only have three choices right now, as far as a starting QB goes in 2013:

1.) They could start a veteran nobody else wants. Trade for Flynn, hope Smith gets cut, sign Jason Campbell in free agency. If these guys were great options, they wouldn't be available.

2.) Go with a rookie. 2012 was a great year for rookie QBs, but 2013 doesn't look like it. I think there's talent and value there, but expecting Nassib and Barkley to live up to RG3 and Wilson isn't realistic. We can get a guy and take our lumps and hope.

3.) Start Fitz again.

Those are the options. We're not going to get a slam dunk for 2013. If you like the 2014 QB class, you're probably best served with Fitzpatrick and waiting. Otherwise, how much is a marginal upgrade from Fitz worth to you for one season?

If Seattle cuts him, sure, bring him in to compete but I wouldn’t trade anything for him. He had a few good games but IMO that was more a product of a great GB team going against 2 bad defenses. He was an UFA last season and really didn’t have a whole lot of teams going after him. If he did, he’d have been able to sign for more than $19.5 million over 3 years, which I know is a ton to you or me but that’s not even low level starter money in the NFL. If Seattle is able to trade him, I can’t see them getting more than a low round pick unless a team is really desperate. I don’t think the Bills are to that point yet.

Manuel is interesting and reminds me a bit of Russel Wilson. The only thing is he seems really inconsistent and misses too many throws. I have doubts if can develop into a full time starter. Personally though, I'd have 0 problems with them going QB with their 1st 2 picks.

The Bills picking a QB in the 1st means that they would be passing on "slam dunk" players like Warmack, Werner or Milliner. That starts looking like a Ngata situation where you look at that one player for the next ten years and say "ok…again, why didn't we pick Ngata?"

The only 2 QBs I'd even consider picking in the first is Geno Smith or possibly EJ Manuel (highest upsides, but still have big question marks). However, I'd still pick the "slam dunk" player and wait to see who's there at our 2nd round pick. BTW, I think that Geno Smith will be drafted by the Chiefs. He will become Reid's next McNabb.

Edited by 1billsfan

The Bills picking a QB in the 1st means that they would be passing on "slam dunk" players like Warmack, Werner or Milliner. That starts looking like a Ngata situation where you look at that one player for the next ten years and say "ok…again, why didn't we pick Ngata?"

The only 2 QBs I'd even consider picking in the first is Geno Smith or possibly EJ Manuel (highest upsides, but still have big question marks). However, I'd still pick the "slam dunk" player and wait to see who's there at our 2nd round pick. BTW, I think that Geno Smith will be drafted by the Chiefs. He will become Reid's next McNabb.

Honestly, there are no slam dunk players. Weren't Aaron Curry, Rolando McClain, Dorsey, etc. slam dunk players? You aren't going to lose because you passed on a LB or DL. but you have a chance to change your franchise with a QB.

Honestly, there are no slam dunk players. Weren't Aaron Curry, Rolando McClain, Dorsey, etc. slam dunk players? You aren't going to lose because you passed on a LB or DL. but you have a chance to change your franchise with a QB.

I see a lot of "JAG" QBs in this draft. Passing on players with much much higher ratings would be a highly questionable approach IMO. I don't mind taking a flyer on a QB like Manuel in the 2nd, but I'd rather target their franchise QB in the 2014 draft when Manziel, Bridgewater and Boyd will all probably be available and all have the games to compete with NFC elite QBs if they were ever to find themselves in the Superbowl in the next ten years. Tell me that any QB in this 2013 draft could compete with Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Kaepernick, RGIII, Wilson or Newton. I just don't see it. I want the Bills to trade back in the 1st this year for a 2014 1st round pick as ammunition for a 2014 trade up for their QB of the future with true elite franchise QB talents.

Edited by 1billsfan

I see a lot of "JAG" QBs in this draft. Passing on players with much much higher ratings would be a highly questionable approach IMO. I don't mind taking a flyer on a QB like Manuel in the 2nd, but I'd rather target their franchise QB in the 2014 draft when Manziel, Bridgewater and Boyd will all probably be available and all have the games to compete with NFC elite QBs if they were ever to find themselves in the Superbowl in the next ten years. Tell me that any QB in this 2013 draft could compete with Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Kaepernick, RGIII, Wilson or Newton. I just don't see it. I want the Bills to trade back in the 1st this year for a 2014 1st round pick as ammunition for a 2014 trade up for their QB of the future with true elite franchise QB talents.

Russell Wilson and Kaepernick were 3rd and 2nd rounders. Flacco was a later pick in the 1st round. Point is, you don't know. But you need to take a chance once in a while. You don't wait on college guys that aren't coming out yet. Too many variables.

Before this season, you wouldn't have had Wilson or Kaepernick in that sentence, and Cam Newton has as many playoff appearances as the Bills do during his career. QBs are found in many places - early in the draft is the surest bet, but not the only one. Most likely, I see Marrone targeting both a vet and a rookie that he likes. There is no guarantee that you get the guy you want in 2014 unless you plan to lose all games in 2013. Any coach or front office who thinks like that should be summarily dismissed.

Russell Wilson and Kaepernick were 3rd and 2nd rounders. Flacco was a later pick in the 1st round. Point is, you don't know. But you need to take a chance often once in a while. You don't wait on college guys that aren't coming out yet. Too many variables.

Pick QBs and keep picking 'em. This year we must use one of our first 3 picks on a QB, probably one of our first 2. Down the road 5th, 6th or 7th round. Draft QBs.

Pick QBs and keep picking 'em. This year we must use one of our first 3 picks on a QB, probably one of our first 2. Down the road 5th, 6th or 7th round. Draft QBs.

Yup.

Honestly, I hate the prospect of investing in Collin Klein as an NFL QB, but here's a kid for whom there is fairly universal agreement that he is not going to be an NFL QB. He does not have the mania associated with Tebow surrounding him. He could be a versatile weapon if he's there with a 5th round pick, and I would take him, after taking another QB earlier. I'm thinking Mike Alstott with the ability to run some creative plays that offer a short passing option threat.

Maybe Carroll is just toying with the Bills, to see if they will get scukered into another "deal". They could complete the trifecta (they got Lynch for the pick of Hairston), they unloaded T Jackson (a guy who never took a snap) for a pick (AND they got Russell Wilson after we blew the pick on Stone Hands Graham)...and now "RJ" Flynn?

Russell Wilson and Kaepernick were 3rd and 2nd rounders. Flacco was a later pick in the 1st round. Point is, you don't know. But you need to take a chance once in a while. You don't wait on college guys that aren't coming out yet. Too many variables.

Just so you know, I was on board with Kaepernick in the second and Wilson in the third in the last two drafts respectively. Just as I am on board with them picking either Manuel, Nassib in the second or Dysert in the third this year. What I'm against is them picking them picking a QB in the first this year because I just don't see any worthy of that pick and passing over a great player.

My trade down scenario is a forward thinking "insurance" policy. I want the Bills to win a Superbowl. The only way to do that is to find a QB that can compete against the NFC QBs that I mentioned. I have no problem with them taking a flyer in the 2nd or 3rd this year. But having ammunition for next years draft is at least another possible avenue towards the goal of finding that elite QB.

Edited by 1billsfan

It's a valid point IMO. Tell me who was the last QB traded who went on to success at the team that traded for him? Serious question because I can't remember. RoJo? Bledsoe? Colb? Cassel? TIMTEBOW!!!?

There must be one in the last few years but I'm at a loss (E. Manning/P. Rivers don't count)

Daryl Lamonica.

Flynn played one good game against the Lions a year ago when the Lions (I believe) had already made the playoffs and they had their second string in. I doubt he will average 480 yards and 6 touchdowns a game. In saying that, I wouldn't mind giving up a 6th or 7th for Flynn or pick up Smith from waivers and bringing in a rook drafted in the first two rounds to have open competition. As we saw with RG III, anything can happen and to have one of those guys come in and finish a game/season puts my mind at ease. Having Tyler Thigpen as a backup to an already erratic Fitzmagic doesn't spell playoffs.

I guess with trades, like the draft, is trying to answer two questions:

(1) What % chance is there that this guy will be a franchise QB.

(2) What % chance do I need to spend an nth round pick.

A 5% chance is surely worth a 7th. A 75% chance is worth a first. But all our options this year are somewhere in between. My gut tells me the odds are against Flynn. And I don't want to spend a 1/2/3 on anything less then a 1 in three shot.

Seattle Seahawks will listen on Matt Flynn, GM says

"I'd be lying to you if I told you that we wouldn't be listening to people," Schneider told KIRO-AM on Wednesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127256/article/seattle-seahawks-will-listen-on-matt-flynn-gm-says

Maybe Carroll is just toying with the Bills, to see if they will get scukered into another "deal". They could complete the trifecta (they got Lynch for the pick of Hairston), they unloaded T Jackson (a guy who never took a snap) for a pick (AND they got Russell Wilson after we blew the pick on Stone Hands Graham)...and now "RJ" Flynn?

They hardly "suckered" us on anything :

- we were the ones openly shopping lynch after the team had soured on his off field issues, and had a stacked roster at RB. Seattle simply offered the best deal

- nix had made clear he had been watching TJ for years and when he saw an opportunity made a play for him

- they had no influence on who we drafted ahead of them

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack