Dehaven out, Crossman in for ST

l< j

The first move that has me shaking my head. Dehavens punt coverage last year was questionable but good results and kick offs. We have had successful returners be it McKelvin, Rodgers, Spiller, and Easly when he got to play so who returns the ball seems to be irrelevant most likely our ST take a step back this year. Just hope not enough to effect games.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit`s ST`s were horrible last year. Absolutely brutal! Not overly happy about this one. Maybe it was a case of staffing in Detroit, but he has the most to prove out of the hirings so far. He has an NFL track record with some poor results.

This sums up my feelings.

that says a lot about Detroit if he wanted out of his contract.

It also says a lot in that guys want to work for Marrone and this organization. Finely, for the first time in a long time I feel like we are a top tier destination.

:thumbsup:

Will Crossman put the kibosh on Ruvell Martin bobblehead day?

How Ruvell Martin saw the field on offense before Easley always pissed me off. If he was a better blocker then u pretty much T'd up the D to play the run b/c we sure know dude could not catch jack.

How Ruvell Martin saw the field on offense before Easley always pissed me off. If he was a better blocker then u pretty much T'd up the D to play the run b/c we sure know dude could not catch jack.

I saw Ruvell make a couple of nice catches for the Bills. One that stands out was a nice sideline catch vs Patsies last year. He is like so many of our players, inconsistent. Hopefully Doug will find us some consistent players or, through his superior coaching skills, turn them into consistent players.

Will be interesting to see what Easley does or doesn't do with a new coaching staff.

Edited by reddogblitz

Dehaven's units were crap and would have been absolute crap if it wasn't for the Bills having decent returners.

+1. So defensive "ST" for the past three seasons.

The first move that has me shaking my head. Dehavens punt coverage last year was questionable but good results and kick offs. We have had successful returners be it McKelvin, Rodgers, Spiller, and Easly when he got to play so who returns the ball seems to be irrelevant most likely our ST take a step back this year. Just hope not enough to effect games.

IF we have the same players, I don't understand why it will take a step back. DeHaven played scared, like his Head Coach.

The first move that has me shaking my head.

This is Third move that has me shaking my head. The first was Marrone instead of Lovie. The second of course was Hackett for OC. Now this. I hope is buddies can actually coach at the NFL level. We'll see.

The guy I would have liked to see the Bills at least interview is Alan Lowry who has a long history of above average special teams at Tennessee. He is the author of "Home Run Throwback" and was fired last week by the Titans.

I was thinking this guy could be a good hire as well. However his unit did give up a TD return to us at the Ralph. I do like the fact though that he got his NFL coaching career started under Tom Landry. The Tom Landry coaching tree has been especially fruitful.

Guys, assistant coaches (beyond the coordinators) are ALWAYS cronies. The HC is looking for guys who are going to implement what he wants and will be on the same page. This is so not a big deal. If Marrone trusts them, so should we -- until and unless proven otherwise.

Thank you for being level headed....Too many negative nancies on this board.

was thinking this guy could be a good hire as well. However his unit did give up a TD return to us at the Ralph. I do like the fact though that he got his NFL coaching career started under Tom Landry. The Tom Landry coaching tree has been especially fruitful.

Well, Danny's learned from Scott O'Brien who's special teams are usually among the best, so you've got that going for you. If you want to talk about coaching trees and all.

I can't get too worked up about this hire either way. ST coaches are tough to measure, because (as others have said already) so much depends upon the amount of time in practices dedicated to special teams - a decision made principally by the head coach. Some head coaches value special teams more than others, and it makes a huge difference in the product. Another key ingredient is depth - teams with better depth tend to end up with better special teams because the depth players play on the coverage units.

I have no idea if this guy will be successful here, because his track record is mixed. I will say that where the Bills have tended to get into trouble is when they've hired ST coaches with little or no experience, i.e., Ronnie Jones. This guy has plenty of experience, so as long as Marrone makes special teams a priority, we should be fine.