Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notre Dame Fighting Irish - OK

Edinboro Fighting Scots - OK

Florida State Seminoles - OK because FSU writes a royalty check

Idaho Vandals - OK

Indiana University of PA Indians - not OK and forced to change even though they are in the same Conference as Edinboro

North Dakota Fighting Sioux - not OK

San Diego State Aztecs - OK

St. John's Redmen - Not OK

Hofstra Flying Dutchmen - not OK

Monmouth Fighting Scots - OK

USC Trojans - OK

There are a million more examples - the general trend is the same, we're OK with having some ethnic groups portrayed in this way and not with others. Often the dividing line seems to be money which makes the entire argument BS. Something tells me that if they named them the Washington Nanticokes and started cutting a royalty check that this would go away. Sort of like how FSU still gets away with dressing up a white kid in war paint and having him throw a flaming spear into the end zone before homegames...yeah...

According to Oxford Dictionary:

Redskin

referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. In time, however, through a process that in linguistics is called

pejoration

, by which a neutral term acquires an unfavorable connotation or denotation,

redskin

lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement.

The original definition of the term had nothing to do with skin color. Its a term that was slandered by people who associated it with skin color(Racist

& Non).

Today, the only people using the term are people who associate it with skin color or are talking about an NFL football team. So, the only people who have a problem with it are the very people who are creating it!

Protesting the use of "Redskin" is championing racism.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish - OK

Edinboro Fighting Scots - OK

Florida State Seminoles - OK because FSU writes a royalty check

Idaho Vandals - OK

Indiana University of PA Indians - not OK and forced to change even though they are in the same Conference as Edinboro

North Dakota Fighting Sioux - not OK

San Diego State Aztecs - OK

St. John's Redmen - Not OK

Hofstra Flying Dutchmen - not OK

Monmouth Fighting Scots - OK

USC Trojans - OK

There are a million more examples - the general trend is the same, we're OK with having some ethnic groups portrayed in this way and not with others. Often the dividing line seems to be money which makes the entire argument BS. Something tells me that if they named them the Washington Nanticokes and started cutting a royalty check that this would go away. Sort of like how FSU still gets away with dressing up a white kid in war paint and having him throw a flaming spear into the end zone before homegames...yeah...

Why is the Atlanta Braves not considered to be as objectionable as the Washington Redskins?

Why might the Fighting Scots be considered OK but not the Redskins?

Take all the time you need….

If you met an North American indian and you called him a Redskin, how do you think he would feel about that?

If you met an Irish person and you called him a Fighting Irishman do you think he'd be insulted?

Again, think about it…. don't rush.

Has nothing to do with the PPP. I was calling you a moron ®

As I said, like in PPP, calling people names instead of sticking to the subject. What do you expect when agree to disagree is not enough? I'm above that PPP crap, like I said.

As I said, like in PPP, calling people names instead of sticking to the subject. What do you expect when agree to disagree is not enough? I'm above that PPP crap, like I said.

Bro, I remember your email to that Albany(?) reporter. You aren't above anything.

Ok, I have stayed out of this thread, but seeing as DrD has been active it piqued my interest.

Would these teams be ok with you...

Columbus Black Sox

Montreal N*ggers (that I would probably get banned for just saying that is telling enough to what society thinks)

San Antonio Beaners

No, none would be ok but this country is full of tards. In Toledo there was a coffee place that changed its name from Sufficient Grounds to Beaners in a re-branding effort. Well, was not long before the Hispanics got that changed. This country is a free one - supposedly. Why not let the free market decide if the name is acceptable.

I would give up the Bills to cheer any team given a racist name just so I could wear the shirt.

Why is the Atlanta Braves not considered to be as objectionable as the Washington Redskins?

Why might the Fighting Scots be considered OK but not the Redskins?

Take all the time you need….

If you met an North American indian and you called him a Redskin, how do you think he would feel about that?

If you met an Irish person and you called him a Fighting Irishman do you think he'd be insulted?

Again, think about it…. don't rush.

Don't bother man. These kind of people aren't looking for reasoning, it's a deep seated fear that motivates their resistance. A Buffalo Bills message board is an unlikely place to change racist viewpoints.

<snip>

No, none would be ok but this country is full of tards. In Toledo there was a coffee place that changed its name from Sufficient Grounds to Beaners in a re

-branding effort. Well, was not long before the Hispanics got that changed. This country is a free one - supposedly. Why not let the free market decide if the name is acceptable.

I would give up the Bills to cheer any team given a racist name just so I could wear the shirt.

That is seven kinds of stupid... not that I actually believe you.

Let the free marke decide? That's... four kinds of stupid?

Personally, I wouldn't want to do anything that would make people wonder if I was a racist, sexist, unkind, or uneducated. I don't feel like my free speach is being curtailed or that I'm somehow being harmed by conversations about the Redskins, feminism, spirituality etc..

People who are worked up about others being offended by the Redskins name, do you feel like you're actually being harmed or threatened? (Really?) If so, I'm sorry you do. I don't think anyone, or hardly anyone, raising those points in the real world (not a message board where posts can get snarky) is trying to harm or threaten you.

People who are worked up about others being offended by the Redskins name, do you feel like you're actually being harmed or threatened? (Really?) If so, I'm sorry you do. I don't think anyone, or hardly anyone, raising those points in the real world (not a message board where posts can get snarky) is trying to harm or threaten you.

Eventually the so-called offensive language, names, and other aspects of society will be so filtered and or/removed that any assemblance of free speech in this country will cease to exist. That is tyranny by the minority, and that is why I am so against the Redskins changing their name or it even being an issue. Political correctness has gone so overboard it is ludicrous...

Eventually the so-called offensive language, names, and other aspects of society will be so filtered and or/removed that any assemblance of free speech in this country will cease to exist. That is tyranny by the minority, and that is why I am so against the Redskins changing their name or it even being an issue. Political correctness has gone so overboard it is ludicrous...

You do realize that people like yourself are just as bad don't you? Of course as a white man (assuming), the name Redskins doesn't affect you. But obviously it bothers others. And guess what if Irish people didn't like the name fighting Irish? They have everything right to try and change it as well.

Sure, the world gets a little crazy with the PC so. At the same point, it makes me ill that some people can't envolve in 2013. Like 50 years, we had races separated. 70 years ago, people were putting other people in ovens. People who cling to this idea of America is getting too PC are just as bad as the folks who jump down everyone throats about every off color joke that is made.

My solution is get a representation of Native America groups and leaders to vote on whether to keep the name. And I'd love for someone to go to a reservation and call someone a redskin.