A few thoughts...

1. The NFL is becoming more like college and I don't mean the spread offenses. I mean the quality of NFL defenses is awful. The rules are so in favor of the offense and there are simply not enough athletes on defense to keep up with the multiple skill position athletes on offense.

2. Spend high draft picks on the lines. Yes I know QB's are the key to SuperBowls. But the offensive line is just as important. Want to know why the BIlls have been awful for so long, two first round draft picks on the offensive line in twenty years.

3. I think Clay Mathews was on steroids just like Cushing was at USC. Mathews has only gone downhill since his rookie year. Cushing got caught and Mathews probably stopped using or at least cut back.

4. I can't stand Jim Harbaugh but I do not see how they aren't the SB favorites now that Denver is gone.

5. I changed my mind. If the Bills can't sign either Byrd or Levitre I think they should tag Levitre. I know it is more expensive to tag a guard as opposed to a FS, but they need to keep the line intact. Williams can move to safety if they can't bring them both back. I had thought Levitre would be easier to replace but there are too many holes at LB, WR, and QB to use a middle round draft pick on a guard.

3. I think Clay Mathews was on steroids just like Cushing was at USC. Mathews has only gone downhill since his rookie year. Cushing got caught and Mathews probably stopped using or at least cut back.

4. I can't stand Jim Harbaugh but I do not see how they aren't the SB favorites now that Denver is gone.

3. so 13 sacks in 14 games is terrible, must have got back on the juice this year, must have gotten some from JJ Watt.

4. so you don't like winners that teach hard - nosed, physical football?

3. so 13 sacks in 14 games is terrible, must have got back on the juice this year, must have gotten some from JJ Watt.

4. so you don't like winners that teach hard - nosed, physical football?

For the record I think Watt is juiced as well.

I like Harabugh's approach. I just can't stand the rah rah, viloent hansdshake, bravado crap. He is not out there playing physical football. He was a POS QB who appears to be a very good and maybe excellent coach. Of course he inherited a top 3 defense and a great OL and very good running back. Have to give him credit for the guts to switch QB. It is also painful because i like the 49ers. Just rubs me the wrong way.

1. The NFL is becoming more like college and I don't mean the spread offenses. I mean the quality of NFL defenses is awful. The rules are so in favor of the offense and there are simply not enough athletes on defense to keep up with the multiple skill position athletes on offense.

2. Spend high draft picks on the lines. Yes I know QB's are the key to SuperBowls. But the offensive line is just as important. Want to know why the BIlls have been awful for so long, two first round draft picks on the offensive line in twenty years.

5. I changed my mind. If the Bills can't sign either Byrd or Levitre I think they should tag Levitre. I know it is more expensive to tag a guard as opposed to a FS, but they need to keep the line intact. Williams can move to safety if they can't bring them both back. I had thought Levitre would be easier to replace but there are too many holes at LB, WR, and QB to use a middle round draft pick on a guard.

1) Tell that to the Ravens who shut down future HoF QB Peyton Manning and his good WR corps. Tell that to the 49ers who shut down the Packers offense .and arguably the very best QB in the league the last few years

2) no argument there from me. A big reason the Bills lost those 4 SB's was all the injuries to their O line at the end of the season. The Cowboys, Giants, Redskins lines were better. Just look at the Niners with those 3, 1st round O line draft picks dominate. I'm still not convinced the Bills have a top O line. RG & RT are very questionable. Plus, how many seasons do the Bills have to lose Center Eric Wood to the IR before they think about upgrading the backup at C.

3) I think its more the Packers lost some players to free agency after the SB and haven't replaced them properly. DE Cullen Jenkins wanted to stay and they let him walk. I'm not so certain Dom Capers is really a top DC anymore. GB was 32nd in defense in 2011. then they got better in 2012 but not by allowing Adrian Peterson 200 yards rushing. The 49ers literally dominated the Pack with the run, QB & RB's. The 49ers had 579 total yards and 323 on the ground.

4) tell that to Seattle who beat the Niners 42-13 in week 16

5) One of the biggest problem with the Bills is the refusal to keep certain players. Tell me the Bills couldn't have used LB Paul Posluszny the last 2 years, 106 tackles this season. Or CB Antoine Winfield as the Bills must have drafted about 20 DB's since they let him walk to Minnesota, and all he did was spend the next 9 years making tackles for the Vikings.

The one O linemen who has played injury free since being drafted and would look so much better with better talent around him is Andy Levitre. Wood might have more talent but what good is it if you spend 1/2 the year on IR? Both Byrd and Levitre are no brainers that need to be kept on the team

Seattle is one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now IMO. The Hawks vs the Falcons should be a good one.

1) Tell that to the Ravens who shut down future HoF QB Peyton Manning and his good WR corps. Tell that to the 49ers who shut down the Packers offense .and arguably the very best QB in the league the last few years

If allowing 35 points and 400 yards of offense, and 31 points and 350 yards of offense qualifies as "shut down" in this day and age then I think the OPs point is obviously made.

2) no argument there from me. A big reason the Bills lost those 4 SB's was all the injuries to their O line at the end of the season. The Cowboys, Giants, Redskins lines were better. Just look at the Niners with those 3, 1st round O line draft picks dominate. I'm still not convinced the Bills have a top O line. RG & RT are very questionable. Plus, how many seasons do the Bills have to lose Center Eric Wood to the IR before they think about upgrading the backup at C.

3) I think its more the Packers lost some players to free agency after the SB and haven't replaced them properly. DE Cullen Jenkins wanted to stay and they let him walk. I'm not so certain Dom Capers is really a top DC anymore. GB was 32nd in defense in 2011. then they got better in 2012 but not by allowing Adrian Peterson 200 yards rushing. The 49ers literally dominated the Pack with the run, QB & RB's. The 49ers had 579 total yards and 323 on the ground.

5) One of the biggest problem with the Bills is the refusal to keep certain players. Tell me the Bills couldn't have used LB Paul Posluszny the last 2 years, 106 tackles this season. Or CB Antoine Winfield as the Bills must have drafted about 20 DB's since they let him walk to Minnesota, and all he did was spend the next 9 years making tackles for the Vikings.

The one O linemen who has played injury free since being drafted and would look so much better with better talent around him is Andy Levitre. Wood might have more talent but what good is it if you spend 1/2 the year on IR? Both Byrd and Levitre are no brainers that need to be kept on the team

Seattle is one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now IMO. The Hawks vs the Falcons should be a good one.

Watching the games yesterday, it is clear to me the Bills are pretty far away from being competitive against the top teams. Simply do not have the horses to play at that level. Any of the 4 teams from yesterday would slaughter the Bills in that situation. We don't have the powerful LBS, the versatile fearless cool headed QB, the dominating WRs ... heck the kickers on those teams are power players. We can imagine it, but we are sooo far away. As far as todays games, We competed well against Houston , but Seattle, Atlanta and NE would run us off the field. Sad. Bills are a D3 team in a D1 league. Maybe that will change, but some really big pieces need to be put in place fast...

This is indisputably true ... the Bills have let several talented players walk; OR, has it been they just want to go no matter how much the Bills are offering because they want to be on a winning team in healthy organizations?????

And I fear that's where Levitre is. He knows there are a number of teams out there looking for top quality lineman (with injuries, and the general lack of quality line play around the league, every team would say they want to improve their line, this is not just a Bills problem), and there are certainly winning teams that will be more than happy to pay him whatever the Bills offer.

So, does he think things can turn around in Buffalo, and is he willing to take that chance? Does he go to a proven winner, or stay at a "I hope we win next year" team? If he leaves, don't be surprised, he will be following a long line of solid players that have exited Buffalo for the same reason, its not about money, it's about winning. I hope he doesn't go--we certainly need him, but if he does, who can fault him?

1. I think it's just part of the cyclical nature of the NFL. 10 years ago, defenses ruled, now it's the offense's turn...a few years down the road, defenses will adapt and you'll see the trend shift again...at least, that's the way it's been for as long as I can remember.

2. Yes, the lines are important. Not nearly as important as the QB. The 49ers do have 3 first rounders starting on their OL, Seattle has just 1. Houston has 1, New England 2, Baltimore 2 (although McKinnie was a FA), Denver 1, Atlanta 1, Green Bay 1. I think that, when it comes to the OL, it's more important to have 2 versatile depth players dressed for every game. That's why a guy like Rinehardt is so valuable to Buffalo, as he can play either guard position, which means he can sub for Levitre or Urbik, and also allow Urbik to kick inside to center if Wood gets hurt. Hairston is the same way, as he seems to be a decent stop-gap at either tackle spot. The important thing to remember, IMO, is that OL guys get hurt, so you need more than 1 of each type of those guys, so Buffalo should really be looking for another Rinehardt and another Hairston as depth players to back up their top backups, so to speak.

3. Perhaps he was on 'roids, but you're wrong about his production. He's been very good.

4. Totally agree. Harbaugh is a jerk and always has been. Same with Pete Carroll, which makes it tough, because I'd love to cheer for players like Kaepernick and Russell Wilson...great kids with a ton of ability and very, very fun to watch.

5. I agree that Levitre would be the better tag option, but I don't think it should be an issue. They have the cap room, and Nix/Whaley haven't let a single FA go that they really wanted to sign.

1. Baltimore did NOT shut down Manning, as others have pointed out.

2. 2 more depth players would make all the difference for this line.

3. Agreed, Jenkins was a big loss that neither E.J. WIlson, Mike Neal, or Ryan Pickett have been able to fill as of yet...maybe Jerel Worthy can do the job, but he hasn't shown it so far.

4. Not for nothing, but they did split during the regular season...49ers beat Seattle 13-6 in the first game.

5. Poz and Whitner are the only 2 that they've let walk...Poz's stats look nice and shiny, until you realize that Jax still had the #30 ranked defense in the NFL...he is not an impact defender, which is what I'd like if I'm paying a guy $7M per at LB. Whitner is one small part of a totally dominant defense, and is by no means a major piece. He's not even the best safety on that team.

Sad. Bills are a D3 team in a D1 league. Maybe that will change, but some really big pieces need to be put in place fast...

We played Seattle and San Fran this year. The combined score was 95-13. That's embarrassing. That is a harsh reminder how wide the margin is between the goods team from a hollow team.

Sometimes the challenge seems too daunting to climb back into relevancy again. The best approach for the new regime (under Brandon) is not to look for the quick fix that in the long run won't get you anywhere meaningful. What they need to do is assemble the best staff you can and function well as an organization. It appears that is exactly what they are doing. The new coaching staff appears to be an upgrade and the ascension of Whaley over Nix is an indication of new energy and more creative thinking.

The hiring of Levy and then the follow up with Nix wasted five years in a rebuild process that should have already been concluded. Atrocious personnel decisions are too numerous to count. It is infuriating to watch Kaepernick and Wilson excelling in the playoffs (Nix passed on both qbs) while the Bills continue on with their belated search for a franchise qb.

I never felt that as long as Ralph Wilson had any involvement in the team that this franchise stood a chance in the NFL of today. That is no longer the case. Brandon is overseeing the operation and it appears from his early moves that he is taking this franchise out of the stone ages and into the modern world. It is going to take time. But it is certainly better when moving forward than moving backward.

I agree that we need some play makers on D. But I have also observed that when the opportunity to make a tackle was there we were pretty sure at it. The thing I noticed about this D was we were so out of position during a play, and never generated any pressure. Those things I believe were coaching issues more than talent. This is coming from a comfirmed pessimist.

1. Yes, the defenses are bad. We saw a combined 149 points between the four playoff teams yesterday...that's 37 points per team. However, I agree with bandit in that it is all cyclical. The problem with most of the mobile QBs you see today is they open themselves up to vicious hits. Kaepernick got away with it last night because the Packers didn't cover him well at all, leaving much of the field open. You don't think Ray Lewis would like a shot at Kaepernick?

2. The offensive line is extremely important. As Joe Theismann. My hometown Browns actually have a pretty good O-line now, and it's anchored by a six-time Pro Bowler whom the Browns spent a #3 overall pick on.

3. Disagree. Matthews came back strong this year, but couldn't catch up last night with Kaepernick.

4. Three words to consider: New England Patriots.

5. Makes sense. However, I would like the Bills to trade down for picks so they can shore up the lines (and I know, this runs a bit counter to #2).

If allowing 35 points and 400 yards of offense, and 31 points and 350 yards of offense qualifies as "shut down" in this day and age then I think the OPs point is obviously made.

+1. Beat me to it. I'm with the OP.

Did any of you actually watch the game ? Peyton Manning a top candidate for MVP had 2 INT's and was responsible for 3 turnovers

Two TD's of those 35 points of the Broncos came from kick returns. a 90 yard opening kickoff returned by Trindon Holiday and a 104 yard kick return in the 4th quarter. 248 total return yards

Without the two special teams scores the score would have been 21-35. That INT Manning threw caused the Broncos to go ultra conservative near the end of regulation. On a 3rd down and 7 when the Broncos should have clearly tried to make a first down passing they ran Hillman for no gain.

Denver had the #4 offense in the NFL this season The #6th overall passer with 4659 yards and 37 TD's. I'd say that 17th ranked Raven defense with some players just returning from injuries did very well considering. Plus the game did go into double overtime.

Who would have thought that the older Ravens defense could go up to Mile high stadium in the bitter cold and play as well as they did just after getting blown out 34-17 less then a month ago at Baltimore ... not me thats for sure!

We played Seattle and San Fran this year. The combined score was 95-13. That's embarrassing. That is a harsh reminder how wide the margin is between the goods team from a hollow team.

Sometimes the challenge seems too daunting to climb back into relevancy again. The best approach for the new regime (under Brandon) is not to look for the quick fix that in the long run won't get you anywhere meaningful. What they need to do is assemble the best staff you can and function well as an organization. It appears that is exactly what they are doing. The new coaching staff appears to be an upgrade and the ascension of Whaley over Nix is an indication of new energy and more creative thinking.

The hiring of Levy and then the follow up with Nix wasted five years in a rebuild process that should have already been concluded. Atrocious personnel decisions are too numerous to count. It is infuriating to watch Kaepernick and Wilson excelling in the playoffs (Nix passed on both qbs) while the Bills continue on with their belated search for a franchise qb.

I never felt that as long as Ralph Wilson had any involvement in the team that this franchise stood a chance in the NFL of today. That is no longer the case. Brandon is overseeing the operation and it appears from his early moves that he is taking this franchise out of the stone ages and into the modern world. It is going to take time. But it is certainly better when moving forward than moving backward.

The thing is...nobody really knows if new HC Doug Marrone and his college OC can make the transition from college to the NFL with great success. This hire could turn out to be a brilliant move by Brandon. OTOH it could be just another excuse to waste another 3-5 years of precious time. Brandon's core job it seems to me is to find new and creative ways to fill Ralph Wilson stadium as cost effectively as possible.

Can the Buffalo Bills with a HC from college that never won more then 8 games compete against arguably the very best HC in the NFL in Bill Belichick ? In 4 years at Syracuse 4-8, 8-5, 5-7, 8-5. The Big East conference, Syracuse came in 4th this year behind Louisville 11-2, Cincinnati 10-3, Rutgers 8-4.

Exactly how would Syracuse fair against in the SEC, against Alabama or even Notre Dame, would they even be competitive on the same field? Or would it be like the Bills played against Seattle and San Francisco 95-13 this year?

Now, Oregon HC Chip Kelly with a 46-7 college record, I can see actually having a chance in the NFL. But don't forget men like Nick Saban of Alabama (15-17 at Miami) and Steve Spurrier (12-20 at Redskins) failed at the NFL level like so many other college coaches.

Interesting article before this season started 6/25/12 http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/33872/any-big-east-coaches-on-the-hot-seat

The first and most obvious choice for a new HC by fans was Lovie Smith (81-63), along with forcing him to hire a top OC in Norv Turner or Cam Cameron.

I have to admit I'm estactic about the hire of new DC Mike Pettine (former DC of the Jets) who could be the fall back plan should Marrone fall on his face hard http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/mike_pettine_says_he_called_va.html

The Jets had the 8th overall defense this year W/O their star CB. 5th in 2011, 3rd in 2010. 1st in 2009.

But from everything I've read so far says that Brandon made the correct choice with Doug Marrone. It reads good, but will it translate to wins in the NFL, and against Bill Belichick?

All I can say is I genuinely hope this move works out well for the Bills as they are in desperate need of someone who knows WTF he is doing as HC.

i have been thinking about aaron rodgers lately and his percieved talent level. hes obviously a great qb, but is not currently in the manning or brady class. i just look at the way his team is built there in comparison to the way these indy or ne teams have been built. he has arguably more talent on both sides of the ball then some of brady or mannings teams. a better coach then peyton ever saw, and always falls a little short. he is the third best quarterback in the game easy, but he is not yet to the level of either of those 2. switch rodgers to denver or ne and gb wins more games per season. it just seems the intellect that brady and manning bring week in and week out is superior. both are their own oc at this point, rodgers not so much

i have been thinking about aaron rodgers lately and his percieved talent level. hes obviously a great qb, but is not currently in the manning or brady class. i just look at the way his team is built there in comparison to the way these indy or ne teams have been built. he has arguably more talent on both sides of the ball then some of brady or mannings teams. a better coach then peyton ever saw, and always falls a little short. he is the third best quarterback in the game easy, but he is not yet to the level of either of those 2. switch rodgers to denver or ne and gb wins more games per season. it just seems the intellect that brady and manning bring week in and week out is superior. both are their own oc at this point, rodgers not so much

IMO Rodgers is the best QB in the league. But no QB can do it all himself.

Aaron Rodgers was the MVP last year, his Packers were 13-0 at one point in 2011. The hapless KC Chiefs who were 6-8 beat the Packers 19-14. Geez... Then they lost to the NY Giants in the first round of the playoffs. Those Giants went on to win the SB.

In that game against the Giants the Packers receivers had a lot of dropped balls plus Rodgers was off his usual pinpoint accuracy. But, I mean how far can you go with the worst defense in the NFL? Yeah, thats right! The packers were 32nd in yards allowed in 2011

My take is that every NFL offensive scheme gets figured out by opposing defenses and they learn how to defeat them. The Pack runs a version of the WCO that relies heavily on only Rodgers making plays. In the past Rodgers would break out of the pocket to buy time to find the open receiver and hit him. The problem IMO is now with pass protection and injuries. GB is much like the Buffalo Bills in they lack depth across the O line.

The lack of a dominate running game also hurts Green Bay as sometimes QB's have bad days, and all teams need balance to help the QB out now and again. If the Packers ever find their version of CJ Spiller, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte they would be unstoppable....well, they also need to fix that defense and O line. :D