Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

Marrone is going to be fun. As others have mentioned, if you parse his press conference statements, Hackett fits exactly what Marrone was looking for in an offensive coordinator -- "someone who has been in the NFL." I will expect the defensive coordinator to have a lot more experience though based on Marrone's words...

Why would Marrone hire anyone with more experience than he has and be a threat to take his job. No, expect similiar hires accross the board where Bills players will think they just regressed back to a college program.

The excuses will be:

1) Well this is a staff with limited NFL game day experience (they need more time to learn on the job/transition to the NFL)

2) They need to put their own players in place (like has been done every three years)

3) They need more time to develop their players or learn the new system (can't make lemonade out of lemons)

4) "This mess didn't happen overnight and we are going to need more time to fix it". (throw in an apology or two from the last coaching hire)

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....he started as a quality control coach just like a lot of up and comers do, why is it so hard to believe that Hackett can do the same? A lot of NFL people and various websites have tabbed the guy as a rising star yet this board has him condemned before he even gets here lol. The negative comments and reactions on this board are embarrassing to say the least!!!!!

Dear god, speaking of embarrassing...

-The differences between McDaniels' and Hackett's situations and experience are like night and day, but nowhere have I said he *can't* be successful. As a matter of fact, I have repeatedly stated that he very well may succeed, I merely suggested that aside from age, the comparison is not a fair one.

-I haven't made any negative comments. I have consistently said "I'm nervous about his inexperience, but remain optimistic". It is a completely natural and pragmatic reaction. To suggest otherwise is inane.

-If I wanted to make negative comments, this would be the place to do so. If you don't like negative comments regarding the Bills' decision making, you have a strange way of showing it by reading this board.

-If you're going to participate and accuse other posters of actions and opinions of which you disapprove, perhaps it is best to read through the entire thread and obtain context before you do so.

-If having no NFL OC experience doesn't make you even a little bit anxious then you're not really paying attention.

I'll hang up and listen.

I would think the bills plan of attack is to try and trade down about 10 picks and grab him. If they can't trade down, I can see them taking nassib at 8. If they really like him, you can't risk losing him. The plan might be to take him at 8. It makes sense. While I prefer other QBs in this draft over nassib, the situation fits. QB, HC and OC all having a special relationship is huge IMO. I'm looking forward to it, if indeed that's the plan

Its kind of funny cause Miami basically did the same thing last year with Tannehill at the exact same pick...take a guy at 8 noone thought should have gone there...for what its worth, Nassib is considered a better prospect than Tannehill was and could and I dare say SHOULD be the guy now...it would maintain continuity and would allow him to come out of the gates much faster than he would normally since he already knows the offense and more importantly the concepts...Miami did the same thing with Tannehill and hiring Mike Sherman Tannehills OC in college...

Sheesh. A lot of folks need a nap. Let the HC bring in whomever he wants. Not a damn one of you know how this is gonna shake out. Let it run it's course. By the beginning of October we'll know what we've got. Any whining right now is totally stupid.

chip kelly has never called plays against NFL defenses either, but everyone had a huge boner for him. Atacking defenses is the same in college as it is in the pros.

Well, it isn't really. The blocking schemes in the pros are more complicated. Is this guy going to be able to teach and implement all of the necessary reads, blocking schemes, sight adjustments, audibles, option routes, fakes, etc., and then make necessary in-game adjustments? I dunno, I'm very skeptical about this hire.

So Marrone and Hackett run an uptempo, quick-strike spread offense that is known for distributing the ball all over.

Where are we gonna find a vet QB who has familiarity with that kind of offense and who can manage the offense while a young QB is being developed? Hmm....

Been reported they run a modified K Gun offense that he learned from Kelly and AVP while in Buffalo with spread and Saints offensive concepts mixed in...was considered a very fun offense to watch and set school records averaging 487 yards per game...

Well, it isn't really. The blocking schemes in the pros are more complicated. Is this guy going to be able to teach and implement all of the necessary reads, blocking schemes, sight adjustments, audibles, option routes, fakes, etc., and then make necessary in-game adjustments? I dunno, I'm very skeptical about this hire.

He probably learned all that stuff from his Dad by the time he was 16

FYI Greg Roman of the 49ers and Dirk Koetter of the Falcons had no NFL experience as OCs either and its worked out just fine for them hasn't it?

He probably learned all that stuff from his Dad by the time he was 16

Maybe so. And perhaps he is truly a rising star prodigy and everything clicks.

But they've given themselves a small margin for error doing it this way. It's one thing to hire an unproven, paper boy-aged first-time OC to run your offense. It's quite another thing to pair him with a first time head coach. This type of hire would make much more sense if Hackett was coming into a stable coaching situation and replacing a departing OC on an otherwise unchanged staff. Even then it would be a stretch because you'd think it would be best to start him out as QB coach. But to put him with Marrone, who has never coached an NFL game before, is asking for trouble.

Again, it may work, and I certainly hope it does - but it's not the direction I would've gone.

And also - it's not just scheming and playcalling. He'll need to COACH on gameday, as well. Is 33 year-old Hackett gonna get in Stevie's face on the sideline for too much improvising? Is he going to reassure Freddie after yet another fumble?

His greenness will be an issue.

I'll add one more thing: it's pretty common for the team to delay an announcement about the HC, since there are a lot of contract terms to be worked out. But it's somewhat unusual for a team to delay announcing a coordinator hire, esp. where the media has already announced it. Does anyone else wonder whether Marrone jumped the gun on this one? Perhaps he interpreted his "final say" authority re: coaching hires too broadly, and told Hackett he could have the job before clearing it with OBD. Just pure, abject speculation on my part, but reading the tea leaves, I wonder how this went down...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Still not a fan of daddy boys' coaches because they have everything handed to them, but maybe it's a good thing. Kyle Shanahan was a joke his first 2 years as an OC and then the Skins got RG3. If you get a good QB, magically you become a better coach. Maybe we just caught a rising star instead of a falling one.

YE OLE is less than impressed with all of this. This may or may not be an accurate assessment, as there are obviously other factors, but if we essentially port a rather young, relatively inexperienced (at the NFL level) coaching staff from Syracuse and end up with Nassib as our prospective "franchise QB" it's a bit concerning that the best that all of these fellows could muster was an 8-5 record in the Big East?

Now, I'm sure some folks will don the rose colored glasses and say "Yeah but YE OLE, just look where THE 'CUSE was prior to all of this..." or point to the fact that with better talent surrounding these guys they'll take off. Those are, indeed, salient points. But, the fact is, you look at a HC/QB/OC (again, just assuming Nassib as part of the equation for argument's sake) as being a major nucleus of a program that while much improved over recent renditions of ORANGE FOOTBALL, was still rather pedestrian at the NCAA level. YE OLE is not seeing any evidence to support the fact that these guys will go from 8-5 in the Big East to some kind of ass kicking machine in the AFC East. Rather it's more likely, we will once again play the role of one legged man in the ass kicking contest that is the AFC East.

YE OLE had such high hopes when this offseason started. First, rumors of ownership change... rumors of Polian returning... we get Russ Brandon as President. YE OLE brushed it off, and thought... well maybe we'll get a big time coach up in here... perhaps we are willing to spend top dollar this time... we get Doug Marrone. YE OLE even tried to justify this for a day or two, thinking maybe this guy could put together a decent staff... and now: Nathaniel Hackett. This smacks of 2001 when Gregg "High School" Williams assembled high school caliber staff from his vast collection of dossiers.

Agree. I am still not excited. Maybe Marrone is already worn out from being super-duper really excited because he only used the word 792 times on his first day (you have to watch/listen to ALL the interviews, it adds up... jk) and interviewed how many candidates? Was their even an interview? Or, was it like "Hey Nate, pack your sh*t! We're going big time!"

Still not a fan of daddy boys' coaches because they have everything handed to them, but maybe it's a good thing. Kyle Shanahan was a joke his first 2 years as an OC and then the Skins got RG3. If you get a good QB, magically you become a better coach. Maybe we just caught a rising star instead of a falling one.

I hear you. FWIW, I think Harbaughs are coaches kids. Man, this is a ballsy move.

Well, they ran a pro-style offense at Syracuse and he's been around pro offenses since he was a teenager and was in the NFL for a few years so I think the answer to your question is yes.

I would think Marrone would want at least one familiar face at a new big job-- makes sense to bring a trusted deputy. And Marrone was an OC himself, so he can help on that side of the ball a lot. If Hackett has talent as many say, 33 for an OC is no big deal. Everyone has to be an OC in the NFL for the first time sometime, every great coach was a virgin at one time-- as was every failure. I'd give it a chance.