Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

Its funny how guys were falling all over themselves here wanting Chip Kelly here to run this team, Yet they complain that the new OC hire doesn't have enough experience when he has more NFL experience then Kelly, and almost as much experience as a college OC as Kelly.

Chip Kelly is widely seen as a once in a lifetime innovator. I, and many other fans, have never heard of Nathan Hacket before today. Having said that, I'm giving Marone the benefit of the doubt until I see his OC in action.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season people on this forum were saying that a 13 year-old playing Madden could call plays better than Chan. It looks like next season we will get to see if that's true.

:thumbsup:

It's been sort of fun watching TSW try to come to grips with Brandon / Marrone moving their cheese...

It's threads like this that make me wish next year's schedule was released so we could start the "Dinner's On Me, Smartass" Competition.

We know the opponents, you could start it and just put "1st jets game, 2nd jets game." I guess the order doesn't matter, right?

I'm all in on Marrone - and so far I feel like he's doing good things. Heckart for O.C. is no problem. In fact, I really, really like how young he is - HE WILL BE ABLE TO RELATE to these players. Heck, most of the team is not far from college age. With Marrone, Pettine, and I'm sure there'll be other, older men to come, the staff is YOUNG, but experienced. We fans need to remember: every time the Bills blew things up, in the last 20 years, they turned to men who are all of the same mold, mind, and ability level. If we'd gone and hired Wisenhunt, or Lovie Smith, guys like that who've been in the league, we'd be seeing more of the same stuff we've seen for the last two decades. This staff IS YOUNG, but it is also NEW, and HUNGRY, and together with Brandon's getting control, and Whaley taking a bigger role - the Bills team is NO LONGER the Bills that we're sick of seeing.

This team is now severed from the past. The players AND coaches can all start fresh, and they can redefine what the Buffalo Bills are going to be. I am just so impressed with all these moves.

shut your mouth - this is inspired and new. he will even be bringing back the all new playbook kelly gave him last time he was here. i mean....

(just giving a hard time on this one)

Frankly, at this point, I'd take DJ and his staff if it brought us back to 7-9 over 6-10.

That's not depressing, I swear.

Let me preface this with the fact that I do like the marrone hire. the more I read and hear, the more qualified he becomes. This is clearly not the same Buffalo FO. That alone is quite refreshing. When I got the ESPN alert that Marrone was more or less hired I was shocked, but restrained oppinion until I became knowledgable on the guy. Turns out the top minds and pundints in the NFL are thrilled with the hire for the Bills. We hired a guy on his upward trajectory for the first time in a very long time.

with that

I keep trying to find reasons to get behind Hacket the same way I did with Marrone (truly excited). The best I can muster in emotion is tolerant after doing my research. Add that to the trust I have given to Marrone considering his hires at DC. I hope it goes well, just a little tolerant. This will be a boom or bust decision I think

This team is now severed from the past. The players AND coaches can all start fresh, and they can redefine what the Buffalo Bills are going to be. I am just so impressed with all these moves.

Umm.... The OC was our quality control coach when we signed fitz. The head of the organization has been here 10+ years. Our GM was a scout when our OC was working with fitz in 2009.

I'd say its a bold choice but cut ties with our past?

According to Gregg Rosenthal at NFL.Com, Hackett will be the OC, Of particular note, Hackett apparently relied heavily on the Bills playbook from the 90s, and we can expect to see a return of the K-Gun and an overall high speed offense. Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124048/article/nathaniel-hackett-reportedly-will-be-buffalo-bills-oc

It's threads like this that make me wish next year's schedule was released so we could start the "Dinner's On Me, Smartass" Competition.

I'm happy to submit my 2013 picks right now... B-)

Game 1 -- WIN

Game 2 -- WIN

Game 3 -- WIN

Game 4 -- WIN

Game 5 -- WIN

Game 6 -- WIN

Game 7 -- WIN

Game 8 -- WIN

Game 9 -- WIN

Game 10 - WIN

Game 11 - WIN

Game 12 - WIN

Game 13 - WIN

Game 14 - WIN

Game 15 - WIN

Game 16 - WIN

(AFC Divisional Playoff - WIN)

(AFC Championship ---- WIN)

(Superbowl XLVIII - February 2, 2014 - WIN)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

According to Gregg Rosenthal at NFL.Com, Hackett will be the OC, Of particular note, Hackett apparently relied heavily on the Bills playbook from the 90s, and we can expect to see a return of the K-Gun and an overall high speed offense. Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/n...uffalo-bills-oc

So we're bringing in a hot young assistant with new fresh ideas to implement a 20 year old offense?

Yes, exactly. Except not actually at all.

well, a little bit, but that doesnt mean its bad. could work great, could go by way of when AVP tried to install it. who is at qb will likely make more difference than anything else.

well, a little bit, but that doesnt mean its bad. could work great, could go by way of when AVP tried to install it. who is at qb will likely make more difference than anything else.

"A little bit" is the key. It won't be a clone of the 1990-94 planbook, which is what was inferred. I've read the Syracuse offense incorporated elements of the New Orleans offense and Chip Kelly's Oregon offense as well as the K-Gun. That hybrid is interesting.

"A little bit" is the key. It won't be a clone of the 1990-94 planbook, which is what was inferred. I've read the Syracuse offense incorporated elements of the New Orleans offense and Chip Kelly's Oregon offense as well as the K-Gun. That hybrid is interesting.

well, marrone was the saints oc directly before, and hacket was the bill qc while running a kgun variation.

honestly, the saints offense isnt that complicated (i can often call out the plays presnap in the dome), nor is the kgun(which is often joked about being less than 10 plays) - both have the qbs that could make it special, and great situational calls/setting up plays when firing properly.

Edited by NoSaint

If nothing else, Belichick will have no idea what this kid is going to do....because he may have no idea himself. Not saying he doesn't know what he's doing. I'm saying he prolly doesn't have a long-established pattern and might turn on a dime.

That's a good thing.

Well at least for a half or a game max, he won't...then what?

+1..... I mean, such is life when we're Bills fans. Just keep hoping they get it right.

You pretty much summed it all up... :thumbsup:

If we do go with this K-Gun hurry up approach it better work. Because if we fail and go 3 and out frequently, we'll get blown out.

if we do anything and go 3 and out regularly we are through. total offensive plays matters more than time of possession.

Their job is not to "sell you", its to win games. I hope they could give 2 sh!ts about what makes us happy and get coaches that will help them win games.

I'm reading through this entire thread and agree with all your takes.

Everything done so far has been atypical Bills. This is refreshing.

Something good is happening here. :thumbsup: