Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

To me Barkley is the most complete package available, accuracy, mechanics, pocket awareness, has proven he can read defenses ad make good decisions in a pro-style offense, and enough arm strength to make every throw. Consider that if he had a cannon, he'd go top-3 and we'd have no shot at him. Guys like Hasselbeck and Schaub have had success without elite arms. And it is possible his arm can get stronger as he gets closer to his physical prime.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me Barkley is the most complete package available, accuracy, mechanics, pocket awareness, has proven he can read defenses ad make good decisions in a pro-style offense, and enough arm strength to make every throw. Consider that if he had a cannon, he'd go top-3 and we'd have no shot at him. Guys like Hasselbeck and Schaub have had success without elite arms. And it is possible his arm can get stronger as he gets closer to his physical prime.

I agree that in every way other than arm strength, Barkley is virtually already an NFL quarterback. He's as polished a product as I ever remember seeing, right up there with Andrew Luck.

His arm IMO is not as strong as Hasselbeck's and considerably weaker than Schaub's. Again, JMO.

At some point that becomes an issue in a league which is much quicker and faster than the NCAA.

Also, how do you feel about the audit which showed that 50% of his throws were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and 25% were actually behind the line of scrimmage.

One could easily make the argument that this guy is the ultimate dink and dunker.

Finally plenty of scouts and scouting types have expressed concern about his arm strength. I believe Scott Pioli recently expressed concerns about Barkley's arm (funny that he traded for Matt Cassel).

Also, how do you feel about the audit which showed that 50% of his throws were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and 25% were actually behind the line of scrimmage.

It's not your homework to do but I would like to know how he fared in the other 50% that were over 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Also is it a product of the offense or did he just take the trentative route?

It's not your homework to do but I would like to know how he fared in the other 50% that were over 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Also is it a product of the offense or did he just take the trentative route?

To me it's alarming either way. Here's why.

1) He understands his limitations and checks down OR

2) His coaches understand his limitations and designed an offense that avoided his weaknesses.

Now actually when Barkley does throw downfield, he does so with conviction and confidence (at least from the 11 games I watched from 2011) so I don't think it's him being trentative.

But it could be that the coaches wanted to play to his non-weaknesses.

I agree that in every way other than arm strength, Barkley is virtually already an NFL quarterback. He's as polished a product as I ever remember seeing, right up there with Andrew Luck.

His arm IMO is not as strong as Hasselbeck's and considerably weaker than Schaub's. Again, JMO.

At some point that becomes an issue in a league which is much quicker and faster than the NCAA.

One could easily make the argument that this guy is the ultimate dink and dunker.

Finally plenty of scouts and scouting types have expressed concern about his arm strength. I believe Scott Pioli recently expressed concerns about Barkley's arm (funny that he traded for Matt Cassel).

Seems like a description of every USC QB coming out over the past 20 years. Strange though, I don't remember seeing any of them win a playoff game, let alone start in a SB. USC QBs always generate a lot of sizzle, but the bottom line, more fizzle and no steak. Johnson, Palmer, Sarkesian, Leinart, Sanchez :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: . Barkely will be no different.

Seems like a description of every USC QB coming out over the past 20 years. Strange though, I don't remember seeing any of them win a playoff game, let alone start in a SB. USC QBs always generate a lot of sizzle, but the bottom line, more fizzle and no steak. Johnson, Palmer, Sarkesian, Leinart, Sanchez :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: . Barkely will be no different.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...Sanchez did make it to the AFC Championship...twice...

If it hasn't already been confirmed by someone else, yes the workout is apparently in Los Angeles:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/30/add-matt-barkley-to-the-bills-workout-list/

The Bills will travel to Los Angeles on Monday to work Barkley out, and will also work out former USC wide receiver Robert Woods.

If it hasn't already been confirmed by someone else, yes the workout is apparently in Los Angeles:

http://profootballta...s-workout-list/

The Bills will travel to Los Angeles on Monday to work Barkley out, and will also work out former USC wide receiver Robert Woods.

Completely off-topic, but does it strike you funny when a guy is a "former" USC receiver when he hasn't graduated yet?

ALSO: just watching the 2012 Oregon "tape" and thus far, while he may put too much touch on his intermediate throws--but always to receivers in space, never to those in traffic--it's tough to say his arm lacks "strength" when in less than 3 minutes into a 13 minute video, I've seen him throw darts of 41 and 56 yards, on target, in stride, with not a ton of air underneath...

And holy crap is this kid accurate...

ALSO: just watching the 2012 Oregon "tape" and thus far, while he may put too much touch on his intermediate throws--but always to receivers in space, never to those in traffic--it's tough to say his arm lacks "strength" when in less than 3 minutes into a 13 minute video, I've seen him throw darts of 41 and 56 yards, on target, in stride, with not a ton of air underneath...And holy crap is this kid accurate...

I'm not the biggest Barkley fan although I wouldn't be upset if we picked him, but I think that Barkley doesn't get enough credit for his deep ball. Sure, he may not be able to throw it through a brick wall, but he has more than adequate arm strength to make all the throws, IMO. Also, I feel that Barkley takes an undue amount of criticism for USC's W/L. His stats have been very good all 4 years he has started.

I'm not the biggest Barkley fan although I wouldn't be upset if we picked him, but I think that Barkley doesn't get enough credit for his deep ball. Sure, he may not be able to throw it through a brick wall, but he has more than adequate arm strength to make all the throws, IMO. Also, I feel that Barkley takes an undue amount of criticism for USC's W/L. His stats have been very good all 4 years he has started.

Well, look no further than the Oregon game...tough to eek one out when a conference rival hangs 55 on your D...

ALSO: just watching the 2012 Oregon "tape" and thus far, while he may put too much touch on his intermediate throws--but always to receivers in space, never to those in traffic--it's tough to say his arm lacks "strength" when in less than 3 minutes into a 13 minute video, I've seen him throw darts of 41 and 56 yards, on target, in stride, with not a ton of air underneath...

And holy crap is this kid accurate...

This is what made me fall in love with him. He hits receivers so they can actually do something with the ball.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...Sanchez did make it to the AFC Championship...twice...

Fabulous. Lets pass on Barkley and wait til next off season and sign him as a free agent.

Just goes to show that if you have a top ranked defense you can win with Pee Wee Herman at qb.

Fabulous. Lets pass on Barkley and wait til next off season and sign him as a free agent.

Just goes to show that if you have a top ranked defense you can win with Pee Wee Herman at qb.

I tried to lighten the dissent a bit. Obviously I don't think Sanchez is a good quarterback. But you flubbed a pretty significant stat...

I tried to lighten the dissent a bit. Obviously I don't think Sanchez is a good quarterback. But you flubbed a pretty significant stat...

Palmer also led the Bengal's to the playoffs. His career was changed drastically on what many call a dirty shot to the knee.

My thoughts exactly. If I were the Bills FO, my only scare regarding Barkley would be his shoulder. He's extremely accurate, not just on the short routes, and throws his wrs open better than an QB in this draft. If they think the shoulder isn't an issue, they should draft him (geno will likely be gone).

From nfl.com via rotoworld... Somewhat as I suspected, real NFL guys just don't think he's all that good.

Two league personnel men told NFL.com's Albert Breer that USC QB Matt Barkley did not hurt himself by staying in school for his senior year.

Popular opinion insists Barkley would've been a top-five or ten pick after a better junior year, and his stock was hurt by returning for a more error-filled senior campaign. "I don't think Barkley really hurt himself," said one AFC scouting director. "He was the same guy last year. He didn't start falling in October, no matter where he was on everyone's 'big board' in December. I looked at Barkley (after his junior year), and I thought he was a backup quarterback. And it was the same thing this year." Added a second college scouting director, "Based on his junior tape, he was a second-rounder for us anyway. That's his talent. Coming back, you could argue that, with less quarterbacks this year, he should've rose to the top."

Well, look no further than the Oregon game...tough to eek one out when a conference rival hangs 55 on your D...

66, but who's counting? More impressively, the Ducks had 730 yards of offense from scrimmage.

We agree with you.

Signed,

The legions of Michigan QB skeptics prior to the Tom Brady era.