The new staff and franchise QB

sjjr

I'd like to add - when I look over that list of QB's drafted in the last 10 plus years, I see an average of about 2 quality starters in each year, until the last 2, which produced 4 or 5 good QB's per draft. I also noted that the "running QB" really began with Vince Young. After that we saw Cam newton, Kaepernick, Griffin, and Wilson - and the trend will continue on that front. I think the success of these QB's lately, coming out of college, hinges on the fact that offenses in the NFL are doing other things with their QB's than just having them drop back and throw. Plays are designed to allow the read option, the QB designed run plays, the scramblers, even, like Rothlisberger, all these running QB's I think MASK their otherwise lesser abilities in passing (not the case with all of them, as some are very good passers, too). My point is this: QB's who aren't necessarily purely great pocket passers can succeed with other skills - mobility and athleticism.

Only if they are good passers as well. All of the guys you mention are also excellent passers and most will transition into pocket passers as they age IMHO. If a guy is not a good passer but is athletic or mobile or whatever, he won't be able to succeed with these other skills alone. There are only a few teams doing this "new thing" with their QB. I'm still not convinced it will last once defenses adapt.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great receivers, but possibly the worst O-Line of any major college football program.

And one of the worst coaches. That team was a dumpster fire this year. Teams evaluating Barkley need to look at his entire college career, not just this year. I think he might represent real value in the draft.

I wouldn't touch Nassib any higher then the 3rd round. honestly dont see anything that says good qb about him. About average in every category, decent arm strength, accuracy is okay has a funky throwing motion IMO but looks like it can be corrected. He can play in the cold and has the desire but nothing stands out.

Doesn't that sound like a back-up?

Taking a look at the other draft prospects

Tyler Bray- Excellent physical attributes. 6ft 5 a great arm, playing in the SEC who can make every throw. Makes questionable decisions definitely trusts his arm way too much, seen a few INTS that he tried fitting through double/triple coverage. Leadership is a question mark but I'm sure we'll know whats teams think of that once interviews start happening.

Mike Glennon- Another big guy with a strong arm who makes some brilliant throws. Good throwing motion, can throw on the run but makes Peyton Manning look like Usain Bolt. Knows how to use his space in the pocket. Bad bad bowl game haven't watched it yet but intend to.

Geno Smith- Has the size and arm to play QB and can run. Started the season on fire, but when teams brought the pressure Geno panics. WVU offense made him look pretty IMO. Have not watched him as much as others. dont think it matters he'll be gone before the Bills pick. He isn't RG3, not even close. Huge gamble i think.

Matt Barkley- USC Qb, whoop de doo he's from USC so he can't be good right? So I guess Maybin (PSU) was the better pick over Orakpo (texas). I watched alot of him earlier in his career but have not watched more then a half of football from him this year. Has the body of work and the physical potential. A little short but is 6ft 1 that far outta range?

Zach Dysert- Never watched him play but supposedly another prototype QB. Biggest knock seems to be played in a small school.

All of those guys have certain qualities that stick out. Tell me how Nassib measures up against all of them? To me he is a 3rd rounder with a much much lower ceiling then guys like Bray/Glennon/Barkley. Being a gamer with average measureables wont get you too far in the NFL, ask Cincy fans how they feel about Dalton. I think the hype is just a case of SU fever.

Might the Bills pick him? Good chance yes but idk how anyone would be happy with him in the 1st. For some reason i feel like Barkley will be the pick, weird dream or something....

My choice would be Glennon/Bray. Big time potential guys who just need some work on the mental side. They both arent too far off, if this staff can coach they can make these guys into top 5 QBs. Not to seem like a good armchair gm but have only been wrong about 3 qb's in the last decade so hopefully my luck keeps going lol.

Go Bills!

ESPN Stats & Info@ESPNStatsInfo

Per @JRC_ request-- top 4 in highest % underthrown/overthrown passes- Freeman (24%), Fitzpatrick (22%), Newton (22%), Mark Sanchez (22%)

Lowest % of overthrown/underthrown passes this season- Colin Kaepernick (13%), Matt Ryan (14%), Drew Brees (14%)

Per @JRC_ request-- top 4 in highest % underthrown/overthrown passes- Freeman (24%), Fitzpatrick (22%), Newton (22%), Mark Sanchez (22%)

Lowest % of overthrown/underthrown passes this season- Colin Kaepernick (13%), Matt Ryan (14%), Drew Brees (14%)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Makes sense concerning Fitz...I'd like to see the whole list...

I like this stat... B-)

Thanks for posting this; just this morning on my way in to work I was thinking about what I believe is the number one qualification in a QB, and the conclusion I reached is accuracy. If I'm the Bills' brass, I decide which of the QBs coming out is the most accurate and that's who I take at #8. Despite my hopes to the contrary this past offseason with Fitz, I have also reached the conclusion accuracy can't really be taught.

So, to those of you who follow the college game more than I do -- who is considered the most accurate of the top QB prospects?

Carson was well on his way to having a very nice NFL career until he got injured in 2008.

yup. And Bo Jackson was in his way to a HOF career if not for injury. So what? At the end of the day his career is all summed up over his production as a pro and it hasn't been "very nice".

I'd gladly take it over what we've had since Flutie left but to say he was good or on his way to be good is silly.

In the end, every QB coming from USC has had problems. Why would anyone want to chance that?

Thanks for posting this; just this morning on my way in to work I was thinking about what I believe is the number one qualification in a QB, and the conclusion I reached is accuracy. If I'm the Bills' brass, I decide which of the QBs coming out is the most accurate and that's who I take at #8. Despite my hopes to the contrary this past offseason with Fitz, I have also reached the conclusion accuracy can't really be taught.

So, to those of you who follow the college game more than I do -- who is considered the most accurate of the top QB prospects?

Geno. Ridiculously accurate, and very good TD/INT ratio. That and his arm strength with comparable mobility to Fitz are why I want him.

I've read so many times how Barkley has lesser physical skills - that he doesn't have the strongest arm, and isn't real quick - and I've just been disinterested in him because of the Bills past failures with the California types - but, I'm beginning to think I was hasty in making that conclusion about him.

The more I watch of him, the more I believe we'd be quite lucky to get this kid. Sure, had he come out last year he'd of been the 3rd QB taken - but, that's like saying he looks better than Russell Wilson, Tannehill, guys like Dalton, Locker. The Bills need a solid QB to build an offense around. From what I've been watching, I really like the quick decision making of Barkley, I like his mobility (Brady-esque, or as another poster mentioned, like Roethlisberger), and I watched him make many throws that were 40+ yards IN THE AIR and still hit the the WR IN STRIDE. Fitzpatrick had a hard time hitting a WR in stride at 25 yards.

So, all I'm saying here is, once again, this might be the perfect draft for Buffalo to need a QB - simply because the concensus seems to be none are worth taking high - which might allow Buffalo to end up with one of the best QB's in the draft, even drafting at 8.

I'd be just fine if we came out of this draft with Barkley, Smith, Glennon, Wilson, Bray, Dysert, or Nassib. That's 7 QB's, all of whom, to me, look like major upgrades to Fitz. It gives me some hope.

If Marrone is smart, he fends off the pressure to draft a QB, and goes HARD on LB, S, and SS..... These positions are the buried treasure in this year's draft.

If he's smart, he goes after a veteran who may be looking for a new home. Matt Moore, Matt Flynn, -VINCE YOUNG!

IMO, a smart guy takes a chance on a young QB prospect NO EARLIER than Rds. 5-7

The Bills have to come out of this draft with a QB that has potential - HOWEVER - I'm a firm believer that you take what the draft has to offer. If a draft has a ton of talent on the D-line, for instance, but the O-line candidates are uninspiring, you don't take the O-line just because you need to, you take the talent that is available, if it is exceptional. Every draft has quality players at every position. Not every draft has a lot of exceptional talent. You don't pass on the pro-bowlers to take a mediocre player you're going to have to replace in a few years, anyway. Smart GM's keep their teams good with the draft, and so I agree here - take the exceptional talent. That doesn't mean, though, that you can't also get at least one young QB with some potential - we desperately need a young, talented QB on this roster.

Drafting two and the first one , well , in the first and then another in the 4th might be something to consider. I hate to use two picks but it's some insurance and if we are lucky we have something to trade with down the road.

I would prefer to get linebackers and defense myself but we are in a tight spot. Thanks Buddy.

I've read so many times how Barkley has lesser physical skills - that he doesn't have the strongest arm, and isn't real quick - and I've just been disinterested in him because of the Bills past failures with the California types - but, I'm beginning to think I was hasty in making that conclusion about him.

The more I watch of him, the more I believe we'd be quite lucky to get this kid. Sure, had he come out last year he'd of been the 3rd QB taken - but, that's like saying he looks better than Russell Wilson, Tannehill, guys like Dalton, Locker. The Bills need a solid QB to build an offense around. From what I've been watching, I really like the quick decision making of Barkley, I like his mobility (Brady-esque, or as another poster mentioned, like Roethlisberger), and I watched him make many throws that were 40+ yards IN THE AIR and still hit the the WR IN STRIDE. Fitzpatrick had a hard time hitting a WR in stride at 25 yards.

So, all I'm saying here is, once again, this might be the perfect draft for Buffalo to need a QB - simply because the concensus seems to be none are worth taking high - which might allow Buffalo to end up with one of the best QB's in the draft, even drafting at 8.

I'd be just fine if we came out of this draft with Barkley, Smith, Glennon, Wilson, Bray, Dysert, or Nassib. That's 7 QB's, all of whom, to me, look like major upgrades to Fitz. It gives me some hope.

+1. I am on the Barley bandwagon.

The Bills have to come out of this draft with a QB that has potential - HOWEVER - I'm a firm believer that you take what the draft has to offer. If a draft has a ton of talent on the D-line, for instance, but the O-line candidates are uninspiring, you don't take the O-line just because you need to, you take the talent that is available, if it is exceptional. Every draft has quality players at every position. Not every draft has a lot of exceptional talent. You don't pass on the pro-bowlers to take a mediocre player you're going to have to replace in a few years, anyway. Smart GM's keep their teams good with the draft, and so I agree here - take the exceptional talent. That doesn't mean, though, that you can't also get at least one young QB with some potential - we desperately need a young, talented QB on this roster.

Unfortunately, I think this draft doesn't really have blue chip players at most of the positions.