The new staff and franchise QB

sjjr

There is a lot to like about what Marrone and his staff did at Syracuse. What is most impressive is the way he developed players. Guys like Chandler Jones, Justin Pugh and principally Ryan Nassib. Nassib's development and success is more impressive for Marrone and Hackett than it is for Nassib.

The Bills need a new Franchise QB. The last two times Marrone has turned a team around he went with a "veteran" stop-gap (Brees-NO + Paulus-SU). During Paulus's year, Nassib watched and developed into a very successful three year starter.

What we can hope for is that the Bills can get a guy like Alex Smith to come over and a guy is drafted that these guys can develop over a year or two.

If they can't get A.Smith then the only QB that may be able to play right away would seem to be Barkley. They may choose Nassib, but it would only be because they think he can still get a lot better yet.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like I said before... I think THE FRANCHISE goes Barkley with our #1 pick (meaning all the people who have say in our pick that did not work for Syracuse last year), 2nd round we go full Nix and take the best defensive SEC and Marrone gets Nassib with our 3rd round pick as their grooming project...

I heard (not certain) that Marrone wants to run a West Coast offense, which I also heard (again, not certain) that Barkley is best suited for such a scheme. Could happen.

That's the first I've heard of this. Besides, IMHO, I'd put money on them NOT taking Barkley. We have plenty of other needs to fill at #8 with other QB's available in later rounds, including Nassib.

I heard (not certain) that Marrone wants to run a West Coast offense, which I also heard (again, not certain) that Barkley is best suited for such a scheme. Could happen.

Please disclose where you heard this, because I've been reading just about everything out there and haven't heard a peep of "West Coast offense."

A great deal will depend on who is actually running the War Room. My suspicion is that with so many new faces, that the decision will be a consensus one. That is, choose the player that everyone in the room can live with. I am not a big college football enthusiast myself, so I guess, the question is: which of these guys is the least likely to bust?

Check out Zac Dysert who just got added to the Senior Bowl.

He's as good as any of these guys, better than most.

Yes he is. Crazy as it sounds, I'd be ok with taking him #8 if the FO likes him that much. I think he's going to be a very good one

If they can't get A.Smith then the only QB that may be able to play right away would seem to be Barkley. They may choose Nassib, but it would only be because they think he can still get a lot better yet.

Seriously -- Barkley???? -- there is absolutely no reason to draft him unless he falls to minimally round 3 and he won't. If anything he's looked worse each year at USC. If Barkley is the answer, the question must be "Who should the Bills NOT draft?"

If Marrone is smart, go get the young guy and let him get his experience in year 1. The expectations are not as high like they will be in years 2 & 3 of his tenure. I don't care who it is, Glennon, Nassib, Wilson...pick one or two and let the best one play in 2013.

If Marrone is smart, go get the young guy and let him get his experience in year 1. The expectations are not as high like they will be in years 2 & 3 of his tenure. I don't care who it is, Glennon, Nassib, Wilson...pick one or two and let the best one play in 2013.

Agree. The rule changes in the NFL have made it a somewhat easier transition for a rookie qb to play well and gain confidence fast.

When we draft our qb this year, there is no way I want to see a stop gap like Alex Smith or Vick start while our rook rides the pine. It just isn't your daddy's NFL anymore.

The way I see it, even though Buffalo really isn't in position to be called "rebuilding", there will, no doubt, be a tremendous amount of learning happening this coming season. Why try and get a veteran QB to merely hold down the position for a season, to attempt to be good enough, if that veteran doesn't have enough talent to actually win it all for us? I mean, I'd be okay with Buffalo going after Alex Smith, or even Flacco (although I have no interest in him), and drafting a guy like Glennon or Dysert, Bray or Nassib. Let the QB's compete, and at least you know - whoever wins will be very good.

I just don't want to see us draft a guy and pick up someone like Gronkowski, some vet who would just get us by - if we're not competing for a Super Bowl, then I say let the young guys get their growing pains out of the way! Look at Tannehill. I certainly didn't think he was good enough to start, and yet, by the end of the season, he was playing pretty good football. Miami has to be psyched about going into next season.

I think all of us would be okay with an offense that wasn't perfect, a QB who made mistakes, if we saw that it was a work in progress, that it was actually getting BETTER, and not, as we've seen a lot of, getting worse or plateauing. As I was saying, we're not rebuilding, but I would think an 8-8 or 9-7 year would be considered acceptable as long as we saw a rookie QB develop, and our defense growing, gelling.

I really dont understand how im in the minority around here in liking Barkley. He has a great deep ball and good zip on quick throws like the slant. He also has some Big Ben in him. Watch play at 4:17

Yes, but you're forgetting the most important factor. HE'S FROM USC! NO!

Seriously -- Barkley???? -- there is absolutely no reason to draft him unless he falls to minimally round 3 and he won't. If anything he's looked worse each year at USC. If Barkley is the answer, the question must be "Who should the Bills NOT draft?"

hes better than nassib

I really dont understand how im in the minority around here in liking Barkley. He has a great deep ball and good zip on quick throws like the slant. He also has some Big Ben in him. Watch play at 4:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4SfjfEyBgc

Yep. He has all the tools. Has for a awhile. If he had come out last year, he'd be playing instead of Weedon and Tannehill... maybe not doing any better, but he'd be out there...