The QB Problem . . .

ctk232

We all know QB is a primary issue that needs to be addressed this offseason. But the problem is the talent available will not guarantee us a franchise QB. For some inconceivable reason, previous administration put faith in Fitz for the future and now we're sitting in a fairly precarious predicament. So what do we do?

The way I see it we really have two solid options and three possibilities...

1.) Go after a NFL QB in the offseason - I like this option best because it provides us with someone who isn't necessarily a project, but given current cap room and what we are looking to do, we could easily secure a game manager quarterback that will at least guarantee us interim success. Our desperation to find a franchise qb quickly impedes our judgement of talent and without patience, we will constantly end up with projects that may never reach where we need them to be. Go after a Quarterback like Alex Smith who can manage the game, make quick smart decisions, make plays, and limit mistakes and turnovers and our offense will form.

2.) Draft a QB - In my opinion, there is no single QB talent in the 2013 draft that is worth spending a first or second round pick on. Period. We have plenty of other needs that will improve our standing with much greater talent depth. For example, going after an OLB in the first or potentially a MLB, if the talent is there, is a primary concern that will help our run defense and establish a front 7. With our current d-line and Nigel Bradham and Kelvin Sheppard, we have tremendous potential that Marrone needs to motivate to perform. By drafting an OLB we secure the pass rush we have been craving for years that will make a noticeable difference and help our offense get on the field. CB and WR also should be addressed before looking at a QB in this draft. The depth of talent isn't as great for CB's and is less so for WR's, but to grab a solid talent in the second for either position would also be a great improvement. It may be worth a third round pick if a talent QB is there to test the waters, but it's honestly too big of a risk given the current state of affairs.

3.) Don't address the QB issue at all - This is certainly an option and I don't know how I'd personally feel about it but it may have potential. Gailey had opportunity in Jackson all season and never gave him a chance in the final game. I wish he had so we could gauge his potential but if there is no solid QB talent in free agency or the draft, maybe we should give him a chance? I'm not saying he's our QB of the future, but there's only one certainty and that is that everything is uncertain.

Given all this what options and courses of actions do you feel the team should pursue to address to QB issue in the offseason?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First & fore most Fitz contract needs to be radically reconstructed for him to be kept in a back up roll only b/c he has underperformed !

Or second cut ties all together & get rid of his cap hit & bring in a A . Smith, Vick to be a stop gap to draft a later round QB like Taj Boyd or this Nassib guy this year or just wait & have a chance the following year at a A. J. Mcarron, or Johnny Football from T A&M b/c the guy from A&M are the kind you do what the Redskins did to get RG3 !!

yes the team should pursue a qb.......1st or 2nd round.............buddy has struck out looking one too many times in the qb dept.....swing away buddy, you just might hit one.

I'm not sure I follow. They have only taken flyers on late round prospects. While, it's certainly fair to criticize them on that, criticizing them for 'missing' on prospects like Brown is sort of silly.

I like Nassib in the second round.

He's not likely to be there in the 2nd.

Edited by jeremy2020

One question. If there exists a high probability that the Bills are going to select a QB on day one of the NFL draft, why would Alex Smith want to come to Buffalo knowing that there's a high probaility he's riding pine in 2014, if not sooner?

The dude is pissed he lost his job to a 2nd yr. Kid. Anyone believe he's likely going to accept that he believes he's not a starter in the NFL?

There are a few teams that might want him as their starter now and going forward... ie, Baltimore (if they let Flacco walk), KC (if Reid aint sold on Cassell), and Jets .

A guy like Matt Moore or Tarvaris Jackson would be perfect. Both are capable of starting in the NFL while you groom a younger guy. Both have also been backups before, and are likely to accept that without a problem if the rook outshines them in camp.

My take on your options:

1 - I'd go all in on trying to get Joe Flacco. After that the only FA's available who might be worth going after are Matt Moore and Tarvaris Jackson. Moore and Jackson, if better than Fitz, are not much better. I have no interest in an injury riddled Michael Vick, but I believe he is not a free agent anyway.

If we go the trade route here Alex Smith and Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen and Kellen Moore would be options. The price for Alex will probably be high. Colt could probably be cheaper. Trade for him and let him compete with Fitz and who ever else we got.

2 - This one gets tricky. If there is a QB we like, and I mean really like and think he has a good shot at success, we'll have to take him at 8 probably. Did anyone think Ponder and Locker were really first round quality QBs? Yet they were taken in the top 10. So if we like Barkley or Jones or Murray or someone else, we gotta pull the trigger. But there many be better quality players out there. Like if there was a LB that was a consensus stud LB, do you pass on that for a QB that you think might be good in a few years, but you're really not sure? Luckily this year the draft will be after FA, so we could try 1 and if we don't get someone we like, go for 2.

Sure, we could take someone in round 3 or 4 and bring them along, but does that ever really work? I'm trying to think of someone besides Tom Brady that that has worked for.

3 - Not an option. We gotta do something because we only have 1 QB under contract on the roster now and that's Fitz. I guess technically Brad Smith is a QB too.

I'd like the Bills to sign Jason Campbell and then hopefully be able to draft EJ Manuel in the second round after taking Warmack in the first round. That would set them up perfectly having the caretaker QB till Manuel takes over in 2014. I think Manuel is the most probable QB prospect to become an elite QB in this draft. Love his game and he's got a good head on his holders. Give him a great running game, receiving crew and solid defense and we have the makings for a nice long run at the Superbowl title. I see him having a Steve McNair type of career.

A guy like Matt Moore or Tarvaris Jackson would be perfect. Both are capable of starting in the NFL while you groom a younger guy. Both have also been backups before, and are likely to accept that without a problem if the rook outshines them in camp.

Moore is ok but TJax no way he stinks. Neither is better that Fitz though, don't understand your point.

I'm not sure I follow. They have only taken flyers on late round prospects. While, it's certainly fair to criticize them on that, criticizing them for 'missing' on prospects like Brown is sort of silly.

He's not likely to be there in the 2nd.

what i am saying is we have missed on all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and later qb prospects lately. in essence we have not swung the bat on any of those qb's.

i do like Kaepernick, Cousins, Foles, Russell Wilson (king of all kings presently) and to a lesser degree Coltmccoy and Jimmy Claussen fell to attainable positions as well.

we swung at none, that is what i was saying in relation to buddy's qb draft history....

3.) Don't address the QB issue at all - This is certainly an option and I don't know how I'd personally feel about it but it may have potential. Gailey had opportunity in Jackson all season and never gave him a chance in the final game. I wish he had so we could gauge his potential but if there is no solid QB talent in free agency or the draft, maybe we should give him a chance? I'm not saying he's our QB of the future, but there's only one certainty and that is that everything is uncertain.

Jackson is a UFA in 2013...Not that we can't re-sign him...But there is no way The Bills can stand-pat at QB because I expect Fitz and Thigpen may BOTH be out the door...So they may need 2 new guys...Maybe 3... B-)

I think we should cover our bases and take a QB early and late in the draft, and sign a veteran (or in the case of Vick, a veterinarian).

Here's where I have the QB class being drafted right now:

1 10 Geno Smith
1 23 Tyler Wilson
1 24 Matt Barkley
2 44 Landry Jones
2 50 Ryan Nassib
2 59 Tajh Boyd (Jr.--not yet decl)
3 68 E.J. Manuel
3 75 Tyler Bray (Jr.,decl)
3 86 Collin Klein
4 114 Matt Scott
4 121 Logan Thomas (Jr.)
5 154 Mike Glennon
6 170 Brendon Kay
7 209 Nick Florence
7 213 Seth Doege
7 217 Zach Mettenberger (Jr.-not yet decl)

Geno's stock is likely going to rise at the individual workout and combine, so he's out, but Nix allowed as to that he has some interest in Nassib, and Landry'd be there in RD2. Glennon has come back to Earth, although he will be likely gone by our RD3, but taking Nassib-Jones-Glennon at RD2 and taking Florence-Doege-Mettenberger in addition to the vet gives you a minicamp with 3 QBs (4 if you keep TJax).

I'm pretty sure Pigpen is a FA. Hard to see why he would be resigned.

Might just resign him for cheap to keep more than 1 QB on the roster til training camp. But yea, I don't know why they would unless they have no intention of trading, getting one in FA or the draft.