The QB Problem . . .

ctk232

My take on your options:

1 - I'd go all in on trying to get Joe Flacco. After that the only FA's available who might be worth going after are Matt Moore and Tarvaris Jackson. Moore and Jackson, if better than Fitz, are not much better. I have no interest in an injury riddled Michael Vick, but I believe he is not a free agent anyway.

If we go the trade route here Alex Smith and Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen and Kellen Moore would be options. The price for Alex will probably be high. Colt could probably be cheaper. Trade for him and let him compete with Fitz and who ever else we got.

2 - This one gets tricky. If there is a QB we like, and I mean really like and think he has a good shot at success, we'll have to take him at 8 probably. Did anyone think Ponder and Locker were really first round quality QBs? Yet they were taken in the top 10. So if we like Barkley or Jones or Murray or someone else, we gotta pull the trigger. But there many be better quality players out there. Like if there was a LB that was a consensus stud LB, do you pass on that for a QB that you think might be good in a few years, but you're really not sure? Luckily this year the draft will be after FA, so we could try 1 and if we don't get someone we like, go for 2.

Sure, we could take someone in round 3 or 4 and bring them along, but does that ever really work? I'm trying to think of someone besides Tom Brady that that has worked for.

3 - Not an option. We gotta do something because we only have 1 QB under contract on the roster now and that's Fitz. I guess technically Brad Smith is a QB too.

Flacco overrated and not going anywhere other wise I pretty much agree, I guess. Oh and a certain 3rd rounder last year seems decent in Seattle :doh:

Every pick in every round should be a QB.

I'm dead serious.

Can you honestly say with a straight face, "I am confident the Bills will find a good QB by using ONE high pick in the 2013 draft."

Always a comedian in the group. :w00t: so how do you deciede who get the reps? :doh:

Keep T jack, draft rookie, have legit competition and find a 3rd string qb. Jackson will give You more than fritz did. Plus a rookie can be groomed. I think this year with all the rookies starting was a fluke!! That trend will not continue.

I'd say Fitz is staying (and wonder what makes you sure Tjax is better than him?) and they should keep Tjax and draft one late in the first. I would try to get 2 first round picks and one would be an LB too.

Edited by bowery4

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Fitz is staying (and wonder what makes you sure Tjax is better than him?) and they should keep Tjax and draft one late in the first. I would try to get 2 first round picks and one would be an LB too.

Jackson is a free agent and am not sure why he would want to re-sign with the Bills, if they are not going to provide him an opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Fitz may stay back if he is willing to take a pay cut, if Doug gives him an opportunity to compete for a starting job with another veteran FA or rookie selected in the draft.

topic: qb problem

starter is free agent

1. Chase Daniel, New Orleans. he can run Marrones system right away. His coaches rave over him, he feels he's the Man.

2. Matt Moore, Miami. Dolphns were better w/ him starting last year then super hyped rookie.

3. T.J. Yates , Houston via UNC played good last year when was forced to start. Big pocket passer

We Draft > somebody or somebodies

Wilson Ark., Barkley Usc., Rogers Vandy., Scott Ariz., Doege Texas Tech , Renfree , Duke., Nassib, CUSE.

We all know QB is a primary issue that needs to be addressed this offseason. But the problem is the talent available will not guarantee us a franchise QB. For some inconceivable reason, previous administration put faith in Fitz for the future and now we're sitting in a fairly precarious predicament. So what do we do?

The way I see it we really have two solid options and three possibilities...

1.) Go after a NFL QB in the offseason - I like this option best because it provides us with someone who isn't necessarily a project, but given current cap room and what we are looking to do, we could easily secure a game manager quarterback that will at least guarantee us interim success. Our desperation to find a franchise qb quickly impedes our judgement of talent and without patience, we will constantly end up with projects that may never reach where we need them to be. Go after a Quarterback like Alex Smith who can manage the game, make quick smart decisions, make plays, and limit mistakes and turnovers and our offense will form.

2.) Draft a QB - In my opinion, there is no single QB talent in the 2013 draft that is worth spending a first or second round pick on. Period. We have plenty of other needs that will improve our standing with much greater talent depth. For example, going after an OLB in the first or potentially a MLB, if the talent is there, is a primary concern that will help our run defense and establish a front 7. With our current d-line and Nigel Bradham and Kelvin Sheppard, we have tremendous potential that Marrone needs to motivate to perform. By drafting an OLB we secure the pass rush we have been craving for years that will make a noticeable difference and help our offense get on the field. CB and WR also should be addressed before looking at a QB in this draft. The depth of talent isn't as great for CB's and is less so for WR's, but to grab a solid talent in the second for either position would also be a great improvement. It may be worth a third round pick if a talent QB is there to test the waters, but it's honestly too big of a risk given the current state of affairs.

3.) Don't address the QB issue at all - This is certainly an option and I don't know how I'd personally feel about it but it may have potential. Gailey had opportunity in Jackson all season and never gave him a chance in the final game. I wish he had so we could gauge his potential but if there is no solid QB talent in free agency or the draft, maybe we should give him a chance? I'm not saying he's our QB of the future, but there's only one certainty and that is that everything is uncertain.

Given all this what options and courses of actions do you feel the team should pursue to address to QB issue in the offseason?

they will do both 1 and 2 imo