Geno Smith Tells the Senior Bowl "No Thanks"

4th worst defense in the ACC, the terrible ACC, that year. And that's not even taking into account that they obviously don't have to play their own offense like most the other teams do, which was the 2nd best after Georgia Tech. So are you saying 8th out of 12 in a bad conference is not bad or are you saying the ACC is a good conference, or are you just talking out of your arse?

LSUs defense was awful last year. Oh wait. It's just funny how many people overreact to one game to overlook an entire career.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why risk injury ?.....i don't blame him one bit......as of right now, he's going in the first round, even if he stiffs the combine.......all he can do now is hurt himself and his chances.....

That's what this guy -- and everyone around him -- thought. (Be sure to read the comments at the bottom, how he was a "lock" to go Top 3).

Sometimes it's a good strategy. Sometimes not.

BA

Do you have any facts backing up your claim or are you just bitching because its fun?

Go back and watch the games that WV are losing. The game where he threw his helmet, his pouting on the sidelines. If that's your definition of leadership, then he's yours.

I've watched him in about prob 5? games over the past two years or so..i've watched him enough to know that he has the best skillset out of the QB's coming out this year. his fundamentals can be a bit shaky and he can be inconsistent with some of his deep throws but we can sit here and go through EVERY QB in this draft and nitpick about them. none of the QBs in this draft are flawless. we pick at #8 and not #1, i still say that if he falls to #8 i would take him and it would be an easy choice. The big 12 isn't the SEC but it's a legit conference.

Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch had great skillsets also.

lol..it's amazing how so many posters go to extremes. "defenses adjusted" to him? he had what amounted to 2 "bad" games (for his standards) this season. His WORST game this season he had a 101 passer rating with 1 TD and 2INT vs kansas state..that was his worst. it took 3 years for defense "to adjust" to him and yet he still put up insane stats this season.

No QB will ever succeed on these boards..one day they're great, the next they're 3rd round fodder.

Geno Smith, unless he completely BOMBS his pro day, curses one of the coaches off during his interview, or runs a 40 second 40 at the combine, will be drafted in the top 10 in this draft.

The risk/reward with this guy is too good to ignore. There are no more Jamarcus Russel contracts for rookies.

You guys are loco.

:blink: Clemson D was not bad.

He had a combine 437yds, 4TD and 0 INT vs. iowa st. and cuse. hardly "shutting" down. unless he must throw for 4td every single game to be worthy of a #8 pick.

The Bills had too many risk/reward picks in the last 10 years(Losman, Maybin, McGahee, etc). We need to hit home runs with our 1st rd picks.

That's what this guy -- and everyone around him -- thought. (Be sure to read the comments at the bottom, how he was a "lock" to go Top 3).

Sometimes it's a good strategy. Sometimes not.

BA

Leinart's stock didn't drop because he didn't participate in the Senior Bowl. It dropped because he wasn't spectacular at his pro day where he displayed an average arm with little zip, especially on long balls. Most importantly, he didn't overly impress teams during the interview process.

The decision to forego Senior Bowl and Combine events is usually driven by the player agents anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

if someone wants to argue that Geno shouldn't be taken #1 or even top 5 overall, that can be a solid argument. But if you're going to start stating that he's going to fall to the second round or even the middle or late 1st, that's just nuts.

3 QB's were taken in first 12 picks in 2012 and I think 4 were taken in the first 12 picks in 2011.

5 of the 7 teams in front of us NEED a QB. Including us, you could easily argue that 8 of the first 10 teams drafting in 2013, NEED a QB.

In the last two years:

Ryan Tannehill was drafted 8th. he finished his career with 5,450yds, 42td, 21int

Jake Locker was drafted 8th. he finished his career with 7,639yds, 53td, 35int

Blaine Gabbert was selected 10th. he finished his career with 6,822yds, 40td, 18int

Christian Ponder was slected 12th. he finished his career with 6,872yds, 49td, 30int

Geno Smith. Finished his career with 11,662yds, 98td, 21int

I'm not even going to discuss Luck, RGIII, or Cam Newton, b/c you can argue that they were all essentially "no-brainers" to go in top 3-5 (for the most part) going into the draft and you can also argue that they were all thought of in higher regard than Geno Smith.

However, no one can sit here and tell me that Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, or Tannehill came out of college with more potential than Geno, but yet they were all drafted in the top 12.

You want to argue that stats don't mean anything? Whatever. Physical tools and potential in this year's class? Geno STILL wins. Whether or not he actually succeeds at the next level, who the heck knows.

But guys, he'll be gone in the first 10 picks in 2013.

So in sum, ya, I wouldn't play in the senior bowl either.

whats delusional? honest question: who was the last guy that was 1 or 2 on the qb board that played in it? typically it showcases those later in the first and second round prospects. a top ten pick has too much to lose.

That's the point though - he is by no means a lock to go 1 or 2 even among QB's. He has something to prove still if he wants to be at the top of the draft boards.

if someone wants to argue that Geno shouldn't be taken #1 or even top 5 overall, that can be a solid argument. But if you're going to start stating that he's going to fall to the second round or even the middle or late 1st, that's just nuts.

Kiper has him 3rd among senior QB's.

Scouts Inc. has him at #23 overall.

Take it up with them, and stop pontificating to us that it's a no-brainer, because it's obviously not.

Edited by BobChalmers

That's the point though - he is by no means a lock to go 1 or 2 even among QB's. He has something to prove still if he wants to be at the top of the draft boards.

Take it up with them, and stop pontificating to us that it's a no-brainer, because it's obviously not.

Bob. Scouts had Cam Newton ranked #10 in 2011. Where did he go? Tannehill was ranked #23. Where did he go? when 8 of the first 10 teams drafting NEED QB's and the first QB goes..and then the second goes.. you think a team will look up rankings and think "hmm" geno is #23, lets take a guard that's ranked #10 instead.

QB's rule the world, and that's a fact.

Edited by bobobonators

I'd be interested to know who Kiper has ranked higher at this time.

While Scouts Inc has him at 23 overall, he's the only QB in the top 30. Their second ranked QB, Barkley, is the next QB listed and he's at 32. And there are major concerns about Barkley's shoulder and if they are borne out by the medical checks at the combine, he'll drop a ton.

I gotta agree with bobo. Given some of the QBs selected recently and where, along with Geno's superior career in comparison, he's not getting out of the top 5.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd be interested to know who Kiper has ranked higher at this time.

While Scouts Inc has him at 23 overall, he's the only QB in the top 30. Their second ranked QB, Barkley, is the next QB listed and he's at 32. And there are major concerns about Barkley's shoulder and if they are borne out by the medical checks at the combine, he'll drop a ton.

I gotta agree with bobo. Given some of the QBs selected recently and where, along with Geno's superior career in comparison, he's not getting out of the top 5.

GO BILLS!!!

Further he has a LONG resume, love it or hate it, he's thrown a lot of balls on tape - the senior bowl wouldn't wildly change it. It would be a big risk negatively though.

Further he has a LONG resume, love it or hate it, he's thrown a lot of balls on tape - the senior bowl wouldn't wildly change it. It would be a big risk negatively though.

Good point. Besides, I'll bet the decision was driven by his agent as it is 99% of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Leinart's stock didn't drop because he didn't participate in the Senior Bowl.

I trust you can prove this? Facts, please? And what if he'd had a stellar Senior Bowl?

My point was simple. Most people thought he was a 1-3 lock. He wasn't. All of the talking heads were shocked he dropped as far as he did on draft day. End of story.

And K-9 -- I'm ready to revisit my Russell Wilson point with you when you're ready. I'm sure you remember the one -- Where you defended Graham (AKA "stick boy") right after I slammed the pick and said Wilson would be a franchise QB within three years. Surely you remember -- Right?

How's TJ over Wilson looking to ya now?

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

5 of the 7 teams in front of us NEED a QB. Including us, you could easily argue that 8 of the first 10 teams drafting in 2013, NEED a QB.

I don't agree that 5 of the first 7 or 8 out of the first 10 need QBs.

Cheifs - yes

Jags - they just drafted Gabbert and I think they are going to get Tebow, so I say no to them

Raiders - I suppose, but with a weak QB class, I don't see it. They have other needs and can suffice with Palmer for now.

Eagles - no, they like Foles too much

Lions - no way, Stafford is the QB going forward

Browns - no, just took Weeden last year, and he did ok.

Cards - yes

Bills - yes

Jets - yes

Titans - no, I don't think they are giving up on Locker this soon.

That's 4 out of the first 10 and if the Raiders opt in that's 5 of 10. Eight of the first 10 teams don't need a QB, that's streaching it a bit don't ya think, and only 2 before the Bills need QBs. Who knows anything can happen, free agents, trades, kids coming out, still a long way off.

I don't agree that 5 of the first 7 or 8 out of the first 10 need QBs.

Cheifs - yes

Jags - they just drafted Gabbert and I think they are going to get Tebow, so I say no to them

Raiders - I suppose, but with a weak QB class, I don't see it. They have other needs and can suffice with Palmer for now.

Eagles - no, they like Foles too much

Lions - no way, Stafford is the QB going forward

Browns - no, just took Weeden last year, and he did ok.

Cards - yes

Bills - yes

Jets - yes

Titans - no, I don't think they are giving up on Locker this soon.

That's 4 out of the first 10 and if the Raiders opt in that's 5 of 10. Eight of the first 10 teams don't need a QB, that's streaching it a bit don't ya think, and only 2 before the Bills need QBs. Who knows anything can happen, free agents, trades, kids coming out, still a long way off.

Saying the jags or eagles will pass on a qb because of foles (no ties to a new staff, and not that good), gabbert or tebow who's not even on the roster and was rumored before a GM was even mentioned seems like the stretch.

Bucky Brooks NFL comparison to Geno Smith is Jason Campbell. Just sayin'.

Who was Bucky Brooks NFL comparison? How about Russell Wilson? I just love people act like the draft is some exact science and we know what players will be good. No one had Russell Wilson high last year? How did that work out? Smith was a stud for most of his career. To dismiss the guy because of a bad bowl (which is the first game a lot of people saw him in) is dumb. Same thing with Barkley. For some reason, production gets underrated. That's why a guy like Blaine Gabbert (and his 18 tds in a spread college offense) gets drafted top 10, while Wilson gets drafted in the 3rd round.

Saying the jags or eagles will pass on a qb because of foles (no ties to a new staff, and not that good), gabbert or tebow who's not even on the roster and was rumored before a GM was even mentioned seems like the stretch.

Agreed. It was dumb for the Jags to draft Gabbert in the 1st place. At the same time, it is dumb for them to pass a QB they like because they have Gabbert. The draft is not a science so the best thing for any team is to admit a mistake and move on.

Eh, he'll get picked in top 10 any way you look at it.

As to whether he's right for the Bills...

Would I take him if he falls into our lap at #8? Quite possibly. Do I think we would make it that long? Hell no.

My money is that the Chiefs will snap him up.

No. 1 overall, or after trading back a few spots?

BA

who cares about him?

Apparently you do.

Kiper has him as his #3 QB right now: http://insider.espn....-every-position

Scouts Inc. has him as the #23 player overall: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

CBS has him as the top QB going #4 overall to the Eagles: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

He's going to be a first-rounder, but my point is, if other guys shine in the Senior Bowl and combine, he could fall.

Thanks for some context Bob.

He looked awesome in one game that I did watch but I don't have a formed opinion on Geno Smith right now.

I'm sure I'll have a strong opinion about him in 3 months though.