Geno Smith Tells the Senior Bowl "No Thanks"

So there is a growing consensus on TSW that - should Geno Smith be on the board when the Bills select at #8 - we should NOT draft him??? :huh:

Or is it just a small faction of delusional, wacked-out, nincompoops that feel this way??? :wacko:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Sounds like a case of nincompoopism to me. Why would the projected #1 pick need to waste his time w the senior bowl ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B-U-S-T.....

I would steer clear of this guy..way too risky.

He would have been a 3rd rounder in last years draft.

LB or best receiver in round 1.

QB round 2.

Completely disagree. He might have been even better last year. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/488025/year/2011/geno-smith Guys who have over 400 yards against the Honey Badger and LSU aren't 3rd rounders. His team lost 3 games this year when they had 34 points. It would be an absolute wet dream if he fell to us.

typical for the top qb with nothing to prove. i bet he will want to do his own pro day for all of the scouts so that he can use his own receivers and have it all scripted out. i think a lot of the top guys have done the same thing over the years

What top QB??

Geno Smith is no Andrew Luck or RG3. He's nuts not playing - particularly after stinking up his bowl game, Smith has a LOT to prove.

He will plummet down the board if another QB (Glennon, Nassib, Wilson) shines.

Sounds like a case of nincompoopism to me. Why would the projected #1 pick need to waste his time w the senior bowl ?

Try more like #23 pick. He is not going #1, and this stunt will likely prevent him from even being the #1 QB in a very weak class.

Do you have any facts backing up your claim or are you just bitching because its fun?

No, he doesn't. Never mind that opposing coaches and scouts that have seen him up close and personal the last three seasons are far more enamored with his grasp of defenses and what DCs are trying to do than any other aspect of his game. Kid's a classic pocket passer, the ultimate teammate, and his other intangibles for the position are off the chart.

I'll throw this hypothetical out there (fully realizing that he won't be there when we pick): If Marrone's first positional concern is getting a QB to lead the franchise and both Geno Smith and Nassib are there to choose from, who do you think he's gonna take?

Thought so.

GO BILLS!!!

whats delusional? honest question: who was the last guy that was 1 or 2 on the qb board that played in it? typically it showcases those later in the first and second round prospects. a top ten pick has too much to lose.

I think you (liek Geno) are assuming he is going to be a top 10 pick, when there is a very good chance he isnt. IMO he has a lot to prove, and a lot to lose. Sitting out hurts him more than helps IMO because teams probabaly have lots of doubts about him and wont want to 'risk' it.

considering so many teams in front of us need a QB, i doubt that he will be there when we pick at #8. that being said, if he is there at #8, it would be a complete no-brainer to draft him. i'm not absolutely in love with Geno, but he's the best QB available imo in this draft.

What top QB??

Geno Smith is no Andrew Luck or RG3. He's nuts not playing - particularly after stinking up his bowl game, Smith has a LOT to prove.

He will plummet down the board if another QB (Glennon, Nassib, Wilson) shines.

Try more like #23 pick. He is not going #1, and this stunt will likely prevent him from even being the #1 QB in a very weak class.

Andrew Luck is a generational player. Comparing the two is ridiculousness. That is like comparing Peyton Manning to Flacco.

I think you (liek Geno) are assuming he is going to be a top 10 pick, when there is a very good chance he isnt. IMO he has a lot to prove, and a lot to lose. Sitting out hurts him more than helps IMO because teams probabaly have lots of doubts about him and wont want to 'risk' it.

from 2010 - 2011, had 65% completion percentage and 55TD to 14 int.

in 2012, first 5 games completed 81.4% of passes with a 24td to 0int ratio. he struggled a bit down the stretch, but lets not make him out to be as a player "with a lot to prove".

from 2010 - 2011, had 65% completion percentage and 55TD to 14 int.

in 2012, first 5 games completed 81.4% of passes with a 24td to 0int ratio. he struggled a bit down the stretch, but lets not make him out to be as a player "with a lot to prove".

Well, I guess you figured it out. Maybe Tommy Chang is available? His stats are even better than that.

This is business as usual for top prospects. Get your mind and body right for the combine. He will be out here in Arizona at one of the performance clubs-

1) Mastering the combine drills

2) Getting in rock diesel shape

3) Practicing to ace the GM and coach interviews

4) Practicing the Wonderlick (sic?) test

He's a top 10 pick if he can do well on the above

you're being silly dude.

Did you watch him at all? I swear half of his passes were screen passes. Its easy to compete a screen pass. Besides, stats are a terrible indicator of success, ie, Tommy Chang. He has poor pocket pressence too, and he often misses blitzers completely and gets blindsided. I dont like that.

He really rocketed up boards after his 700 yard 8td games which caught everyones eye, before that he wasnt a lock to be the #1 QB and I still dont think he is. I just dont think he is the end-all-be-all-#1-QB in this draft.

Edited by peterpan

GS certainly had great stats... And again I only saw 3 games of his but from that I gathered (right or wrong) that his Body wouldn't hold up in the NFL, nor was he very good at reading defenses (speaking of the 2nd/ 3rd read type of stuff). Also he was easily frazzled by the blitz. Who knows though... just a gut feeling based on too many years of watching these players. I would probably go in a different direction if he were still there at the 8th pick. I do, however, agree with our dire need for a QB.

Did you watch him at all? I swear half of his passes were screen passes. Its easy to compete a screen pass. Besides, stats are a terrible indicator of success, ie, Tommy Chang. He has poor pocket pressence too.

He really rocketed up boards after his 700 yard 8td games which caught everyones eye but I just dont think he is the end-all-be-all-#1-QB in this draft.

I've watched him in about prob 5? games over the past two years or so..i've watched him enough to know that he has the best skillset out of the QB's coming out this year. his fundamentals can be a bit shaky and he can be inconsistent with some of his deep throws but we can sit here and go through EVERY QB in this draft and nitpick about them. none of the QBs in this draft are flawless. we pick at #8 and not #1, i still say that if he falls to #8 i would take him and it would be an easy choice. The big 12 isn't the SEC but it's a legit conference.

Did you watch him at all? I swear half of his passes were screen passes. Its easy to compete a screen pass. Besides, stats are a terrible indicator of success, ie, Tommy Chang. He has poor pocket pressence too.

He really rocketed up boards after his 700 yard 8td games which caught everyones eye but I just dont think he is the end-all-be-all-#1-QB in this draft.

He's been on pro team radar since his sophomore year. His ascent has been a steady climb but it was really boosted when he had his way against one of the best pass defenses in college football in LSU in 2011. He had them confused with his ability to check in and out of plays and made pro-caliber DBs (Clairborne, Honey Badger, Brooks, etc) look pedestrian.

While his "700 yard, 8 TD games" caught the eye of the public, scouts and other professionals were already well acquainted with his talent. Particularly his understanding of the game. He's going to ace his interviews when they ask him to break down some plays.

GO BILLS!!!