Who really thinks Nix is in charge with this hire?

We can argue and not know all day long whether this was a Brandon move, a Whaley move, or a move both of them jointly were in favor of. But this does not at all look like a Buddy Nix hire, although he may very well have a lot of respect for Marrone like a lot of established NFL brass.

Personally, I think both Brandon and Whaley were all over this guy, and I especially like that in one week we have gone from Ralph/Nix/Chan to Brandon/Whaley/Marrone. Young, aggressive, organized, detail oriented. Not your daddy's or Uncle Ralphy's Bills.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can argue and not know all day long whether this was a Brandon move, a Whaley move, or a move both of them jointly were in favor of. But this does not at all look like a Buddy Nix hire, although he may very well have a lot of respect for Marrone like a lot of established NFL brass.

Personally, I think both Brandon and Whaley were all over this guy, and I especially like that in one week we have gone from Ralph/Nix/Chan to Brandon/Whaley/Marrone. Young, aggressive, organized, detail oriented. Not your daddy's or Uncle Ralphy's Bills.

This was an anti-old school, Wilson or Nix type of hire. I said when Brandon had his press conference that they were definitely going to be going in a different direction and IMO this hire just confirms that. Hopefully the different direction will provide different results.

Like you say, we may never find out.

But I agree with you.

And if it is the case where Whaley and Brandon were the prime movers here, it would lend credence to the idea that Nix is being phased out.

That would be a blow to the "literalists" who decided to believe Brandon at his word in Tuesday's press conference that Nix would remain GM with "no loss of power."

Funny how some people who are typically cynical could suddenly become so believing.

IMO, Buddy's here through the draft and then, back to either {1} being a "super scout", focused on the SEC or {2} his Tennessee porch.

Either way, I thank him for stabilizing the ship, even if the wheels fell off a bit this year based on the preseason expectations...

I fully expect Nix to step down later this spring after the draft. By all accounts, he is turning over the GM duties to Whaley. This hire definitely smacks of Brandon/Whaley. I don't know that I agree with it at all, but it definitely signifies a new direction for the franchise.

The hire indicates to me that Nix has become GM in name only. He'll continue to scout, which is where he's most comfortable but the higher level stuff is Whaley's domain now. And that includes building this team's identity and synthesizing that with the personnel side of the house.

Nix struggled to build an identity and mesh it with Gailey's vision. It would seem more competent people are in the GM and HC roles as opposed to a week ago.

The hire indicates to me that Nix has become GM in name only. He'll continue to scout, which is where he's most comfortable but the higher level stuff is Whaley's domain now. And that includes building this team's identity and synthesizing that with the personnel side of the house.

Nix struggled to build an identity and mesh it with Gailey's vision. It would seem more competent people are in the GM and HC roles as opposed to a week ago.

That is damn close to -- shudder -- optimism, coming from you. ;)

I fully expect Nix to step down later this spring after the draft. By all accounts, he is turning over the GM duties to Whaley. This hire definitely smacks of Brandon/Whaley. I don't know that I agree with it at all, but it definitely signifies a new direction for the franchise.

Pretty much where I'm at with all this. I'm hoping Buddy stays on as a scout; the O-line is the best it's been in 20 years.

IMO, Buddy's here through the draft and then, back to either {1} being a "super scout", focused on the SEC or {2} his Tennessee porch.

Either way, I thank him for stabilizing the ship, even if the wheels fell off a bit this year based on the preseason expectations...

I'd like to see Buddy stay on in charge of scouting. Still need that old school feel of scouting. Buddy hasn't been all bad in drafting.

I think if Brandon outlined his vision for the organization and Buddy bought in, I think a consensus was reached. But, the reality of this is that Buddy's days are numbered. We all know that. With this hire though, I think Buddy rides off into the sunset before next season begins.

I wonder if Marrone was the Bills first choice? Did they have him targeted once they knew they were firing Gailey? Just wondering.

I don't see why that matters bc things can easily change once the interview process begins