Mike McCoy + Vick/A.Smith

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much disagree with everything.

Overall, the Broncos offense was bad with Tebow. They couldn't move the ball through the air, and they didn't put up a lot of points.

People act like McCoy was able to get a lot out of a bad quarterback. He didn't. They were ranked 23rd in total offense, 31st in passing and 25th in points in 2011.

McCoy wasn't a miracle-maker. He relied on his strong running game, and the defense to keep games low scoring.

Switching the offense to fit Peyton Manning wasn't some huge accomplishment either.

Manning is basically his own offensive coordinator and has been running the same offense for 15+ years.

Alex Smith and Michael Vick are marginal upgrades - if not downgrades - from Fitz.

It's now clear that Vick's brief resurgance in 2010 was a fluke. He no longer has the athletic ability to makeup for his poor decision making and problems reading a defense.

If we cut Fitz for some reason, I wouldn't Smith as a veteran backup. But we need to be developing and evaluating a top prospect from Day One.

I'm also getting tired of people bashing the 2013 QB rookie class.

Despite what people are saying, this is not a bad group of prospects. It's about average. Last year (with Andrew Luck and RGIII) was exceptional because of those two players.

Throughout the year, the top two prospects have been Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. Compared to some of the last prospects:

> In 2012, both Smith and Barkley would likely have been chosen before Tannehill (who was a Top 10 pick).

> Smith is a better passer and more polished than Cam Newton was coming out of college. If it was 2011, he probably would have gone before Newton. I think Barkley would have gone before Locker, Ponder or Gabbert.

> Both probably would have been selected after Sam Bradford in 2010, but they would have certainly gone before Tebow.

i have to STRONGLY dissagree about Geno Smith probably being drafted before Cam Newton, lol...what on EARTH would make you think that? Smith is MAYBE a more accurate passer (he also has two pretty amazing and exciting weapons at WV that did a LOT of YAC'ing for him in Bailey and Austin - cam never had that)

Hello everyone. This is my first Topic Post, second post ever. Been reading on the site for about a year now. I apologize if this is a repeat thread. I know I've seen stuff about each of these people individually, but not together.

I am hoping we land Mike McCoy as our next HC. What he was able to do with Tebow and Manning changing the offence from 1 yr to the next to best suit the QB is nothing short of miraculous. I would love for him to be the Bills next HC because he could easily build an Offence to work with whatever our QB situation is next yr. With that said I would like to move onto the other 2 names.

Vick and Alex Smith. Both can be viewed as non-elite but at least above average QBs in the league A. Smith won't wow anyone with his numbers, but last year and this year prior to his injury, he was efficient. I feel like he would be an excellent pick up in the off season as a slight upgrade to Fitz while we draft a QB at some point.

As for Vick. I have read a ton of posts here that say he is a turn over machine and yes he does seem to be 1 concussion away from thinking he's back in grade school. But from what I saw all season, while he was playing the majority of those hits came from being sacked due to extremely poor O-line play not from his scrambling. The Bills o-line, while not the best ( their stats are somewhat the product of the scheme Gaily was using), can easily be considered better than Philly's line. I think, given just an extra 2 seconds to make throws and not be scared for his life, Vick would easily be a serviceable QB for us while we groom a successor that we pick up in the Draft.

McCoy took Tebow to and won a playoff game, you have to imagine he could do better with either Smith or Vick. I also, and i'm sure i might be blasted for this, don't think we should get a QB in the first round. The quality is simply not there. If Russell Wilson was in this years draft, i have no doubt he would be a first rounder, with a stupid note about his size next to his name being his questionable downsize. I would be all for a QB in the second or third, with some trading around, perhaps, trading back in the third, forth and fifth to get a really late second? The talent level at other positions are simply way to good. If we could get away with a LB in the first and then a WR/LB/(D anything) in the second and a QB in the third, I could not be happier.

Little bored at work today, so I hope we can have a good discussion about this and any other point someone might bring up.

Hello,

As President of the MV7 to the Bills fan club I welcome you. Now thats out the way all MV7 ideas or thoughts will be taken out of context and will bring out illogical ideas from people with baseless opinions that aren't really opinions just racial, anger and hate over something that happened years ago. There are few people on this board with actual facts that actually make sense as to why MV7 shouldn't be on the Bills those people are rare. Example: Ryan Fitzpatrick is an upgrade or even par with MV7. If anybody says that to you just ignore them they obviously have no idea what a football or what a quarterback is. Just a heads up on anything MV7 oriented..

Thanks Management,

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

If the bills go after adding any QB I want it to be a QB the team can succeed because of not in spite of. Maybe Alex Smith canbe that guy, Vick not. Look ravens are fed up with Flacco, Schaub is starting to look like much less of a stud.

The team needs to set sights on Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton. Obviously not these guys, but there will be a new wave as sure as the sun rises and sets. Figure out how to get one of these sorts on the roster. Find the next RG3 or Luck. Spend every possible resource finding a potentially Great QB not some one who can hold the job down or might become an average starter.

Enough of setting sights on a little better than what we have now. Enough of this sentiment to upgrade slightly under average to average stuff.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I would love for us to draft Tyler Wilson. I just would like to get him with something other than the 8th pick of the first round.

If you want a particular QB in this draft I think you need to use the #8 pick to get him... For all we know, you could see 3 or more QB's taken in the top 10 picks... And Nix and crew are not known for trading up or down in previous drafts... And whoever the new HC ends up being, I would think he should have some input here too... After all, the new Coach is likely to sink or swim based on the play of the QB we draft...

My personal choices for Coach would be:

1 Chip Kelly

2 Jon Gruden

3 Lovie Smith tied with McCarthy

It's too bad we'll never know what QB each of the HC candidates would prefer If he were made HC...

i have to STRONGLY dissagree about Geno Smith probably being drafted before Cam Newton, lol...what on EARTH would make you think that? Smith is MAYBE a more accurate passer (he also has two pretty amazing and exciting weapons at WV that did a LOT of YAC'ing for him in Bailey and Austin - cam never had that)

I'm talking about Cam Newton two years ago as a draft prospect... not Cam Newton in retrospect after a couple successful years in the NFL.

Newton was widely considered a 2nd-3rd round prospect for the majority of his senior season. He didn't even jump into first round consideration until Andrew Luck decided to stay in school and after the National Championship. While there was no doubting Cam's athletic ability and impressive size, there were MAJOR questions about Cam's ability to run a pro offense (he had only run the spread in college) and his tendancy to run before pass. At the time, he was also a one-year wonder.

Cam had the edge over Geno in size and overall athletic ability. However, Geno is a more polished passer, has more experience under center and three years as a productive starter.

Coming out of college, I think both players would have been ranked very close - with Geno as the safer pick and Cam with more upside.

My point is... people keep talking like this is a weak draft class for quarterbacks. But it's at least on par with 2011 and a lot deeper than 2010.

Actually, outside of last year (Luck, RGIII) and 2004 (Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger) - I think this class rates well against most of the quarterback classes over the last decade.

Why do you combine Smith with Vick? One just wins games with few mistakes made and the other one does the opposite.

Arguably the worse part of Fitz was his in opportune turnovers, which would invariably lead to our D not being able to stop the opposing team's offense. This would be one of the major reasons we would lose. It was not so much our offense's ability to put points on the board. Now, Vick. Not only could he not put up the points, as you astutely point out, he's worse than Fitz in the turnover department.

Hello everyone. This is my first Topic Post, second post ever. Been reading on the site for about a year now. I apologize if this is a repeat thread. I know I've seen stuff about each of these people individually, but not together.

I am hoping we land Mike McCoy as our next HC. What he was able to do with Tebow and Manning changing the offence from 1 yr to the next to best suit the QB is nothing short of miraculous. I would love for him to be the Bills next HC because he could easily build an Offence to work with whatever our QB situation is next yr. With that said I would like to move onto the other 2 names.

Vick and Alex Smith. Both can be viewed as non-elite but at least above average QBs in the league A. Smith won't wow anyone with his numbers, but last year and this year prior to his injury, he was efficient. I feel like he would be an excellent pick up in the off season as a slight upgrade to Fitz while we draft a QB at some point.

As for Vick. I have read a ton of posts here that say he is a turn over machine and yes he does seem to be 1 concussion away from thinking he's back in grade school. But from what I saw all season, while he was playing the majority of those hits came from being sacked due to extremely poor O-line play not from his scrambling. The Bills o-line, while not the best ( their stats are somewhat the product of the scheme Gaily was using), can easily be considered better than Philly's line. I think, given just an extra 2 seconds to make throws and not be scared for his life, Vick would easily be a serviceable QB for us while we groom a successor that we pick up in the Draft.

McCoy took Tebow to and won a playoff game, you have to imagine he could do better with either Smith or Vick. I also, and i'm sure i might be blasted for this, don't think we should get a QB in the first round. The quality is simply not there. If Russell Wilson was in this years draft, i have no doubt he would be a first rounder, with a stupid note about his size next to his name being his questionable downsize. I would be all for a QB in the second or third, with some trading around, perhaps, trading back in the third, forth and fifth to get a really late second? The talent level at other positions are simply way to good. If we could get away with a LB in the first and then a WR/LB/(D anything) in the second and a QB in the third, I could not be happier.

Little bored at work today, so I hope we can have a good discussion about this and any other point someone might bring up.

you had me til Vick

Through the entire season Fitz was sacked 30 times. In 8 games a piece for Vick and Smith ( exclude the games they were knocked out of) they were sacked, 28 and 24 times respectively. I'm nto asking for them to be the long time answer, but I am looking for them to be someone that is serviceable that we can give a 2-3 yr contract to for less money than what we are planning to give Fitz. I am not completely up to date on his contract, but I am hoping we do not have the same situation the Jets have with Sanchez where it doesn't matter if we drop him or not, he is going to get that close to 10million.

Fitz is owed a 3M Roster bonus if he is on the team on March 1st.

Fitz is owed a salary of 8M if he is on the roster on opening day (and it is guaranteed for the season, if he makes it to the opening day)

Not sure what is the Salary cap hit, if we were to cut him before March 1st (to save the 3M cash).

It is also possible that Fitz may take a decent pay cut to stay back as a starter for one more year (while the Bills draft their QB in the draft) as his chance to start for another team in the league is almost zero. Of course, I don't like the idea of Fitz starting for us next season, but it is a reasonable possibility, as the difference between a Fitz Vs Smith or Fitz Vs Vick or Fitz Vs Flynn (who is an unknown) is almost negligible. Also, both Alex Smith and Vick's contract demands will be more than Fitz. The only other alternative is for the Bills to go with the rookie QB right from training camp (Like Dalton and Ponder for the Bengals and Minnesota last season and like the 4 rookie QBs this season).

Hello,

As President of the MV7 to the Bills fan club I welcome you. Now thats out the way all MV7 ideas or thoughts will be taken out of context and will bring out illogical ideas from people with baseless opinions that aren't really opinions just racial, anger and hate over something that happened years ago. There are few people on this board with actual facts that actually make sense as to why MV7 shouldn't be on the Bills those people are rare. Example: Ryan Fitzpatrick is an upgrade or even par with MV7. If anybody says that to you just ignore them they obviously have no idea what a football or what a quarterback is. Just a heads up on anything MV7 oriented..

Thanks Management,

Guess I must be racist to think the Bills shouldn't pick up a crappy QB to lead this team, and since he hasn't won anything, isn't able to read a defense, complete a well timed pass, or even finish a season, and I have the intelligence to see that, I must be a racist. OR, you are simply ignorant of the facts. Nobody around here cares about his skin colour, but you're just not smart enough to seperate that from the discussion, so I'd say that makes you a racist then huh?

I question the sanity of leaving Manning after one season.

Because McCoy is being viewed as a genius and he needs to bank on this new found success before they figure out that he is a fraud. 1 good hit and Peyton's career is done. Then where will McCoy be?

Because McCoy is being viewed as a genius and he needs to bank on this new found success before they figure out that he is a fraud. 1 good hit and Peyton's career is done. Then where will McCoy be?

If you are calling McCoy a fraud I have to agree with that. Fool's gold perhaps?

Undoubtedly, he good at utilizing talent on offense. I'm not against his hiring.

Then the question becomes, if we wait around for him to finish their playoff run, and he backs out, where does that leave us?

Also, a good OC doesn't necessarily guarantee they'll be good HC. Any more facts/details that could back up your statement?

He also created an offense that helped a Tim tebow led offense to a playoff win against the steelers. If that doesn't impress you nothing will!!

Plus I hate the Hatfields

Edited by dubs