Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still dont understand why he's hot and bothered over Cleveland but disinterested in our job. What's the difference?

Cleveland has no GM. They very likely told him that he could have a huge say in personnel, and maybe even pick or help pick the GM and run the football operation himself. That would be an enormous advantage over the Bills and, if you had nothing for or against either city or team, easily be the difference without even thinking.

That's a ridiculous response, and totally unnecessary.

Yet completely true.

He's in Eugene Oregon right now. You can't honestly believe that moving to Buffalo is high on his list. Cleveland at least has some national attractions, a lively theatre and arts center. Buffalo has football and no hockey and a bunch of abandoned warehouses.

Cleveland has no GM. They very likely told him that he could have a huge say in personnel, and maybe even pick or help pick the GM and run the football operation himself. That would be an enormous advantage over the Bills and, if you had nothing for or against either city or team, easily be the difference without even thinking.

And as we know it's positively nuts to hand personnel control to a head coach. The success rates can't be much better than they are for a HC who is calling plays. And Kelly will be doing that, too. If that's a condition for Chip, I'll pass. I understand the desire for a coach to shape his roster, but there is so much work to be done that one man can't possibly fill all three roles.

Yet completely true.

He's in Eugene Oregon right now. You can't honestly believe that moving to Buffalo is high on his list. Cleveland at least has some national attractions, a lively theatre and arts center. Buffalo has football and no hockey and a bunch of abandoned warehouses.

Uh, Cleveland has a lot more hockey? There's also one of the greatest natural attractions in North America, and lots of nightlife around the border and in Toronto. I'm not saying that's a selling point, but my point is they are about even. Plus, if Kelly is going to hold nine titles with the team, I doubt he'll be getting out much.

And as we know it's positively nuts to hand personnel control to a head coach. The success rates can't be much better than they are for a HC who is calling plays. And Kelly will be doing that, too. If that's a condition for Chip, I'll pass. I understand the desire for a coach to shape his roster, but there is so much work to be done that one man can't possibly fill all three roles.

It's impossible to know these things, as there is so much misinformation out there, as well as just not knowing what a guy like Kelly is asking for, BUT... I did read that Kelly wasn't really demanding that. But if it's offered to you, it's pretty hard for someone at that level to turn that down. I'm sure all of those guys, at that level, regardless of the size of their ego, think they know a good player when they see one, and if they could have their choice as opposed to someone else's choice, they would be better off.

Many posters are making comments similar to this, but this is far from the truth. I don't think there's a coach in football that has come under more detailed scrutiny then Chip Kelly--- the amount of analysis and critique available on the internet about what and how he's doing what he's doing is abundant.

Kelly has said he will adapt his system to whatever talent he has. It's been repeated a million times--- he's not going to simply run the Oregon offense.

Smart Football@smartfootball

Chip Kelly's top run plays -- inside zone, outside zone, and power (guard pull) -- are same Trent Richardson ran at Alabama

So lets keep going with that train of thought. He was good with that system in college, correct?

His success in college is what has made him a hot choice for the NFL.

Now you guys are telling me he is going to not run the same system but only use it occasionally?

So should fans expect occasional success?

Not trying to be a smart ass, and i do watch a lot of football, both college and pro's. I am not an expert but seems like maybe guys are not thinking it all the way thru.

like 'well he has been succesful running a sytem based offense, so he will be successful running a more conventional offense that suits the pro's'. You are guessing at that. You just are.

If you watched last nights game when Kelly tried to run a more conventional paced offense K State shut them down for about a quarter. It was not until he started running the up tempo style that Oregon started to pull away.

Look, maybe it will work.

But there is also the very real possibility it will not work.

Looks like Buffalo is going to end up with the leftovers. What's progressive about Smith or Whisenhunt? I would go more for Arians, Jay Gruden, or Bevell? They have proven they can develop a young QB.

Sure, Whisenhunt developed Big Ben, but their original intention was to have him ride pine for a year. An injury to Maddox caused Big Ben to come alive. And what has Whisenhunt done with the QB situation in Arizona? A complete joke. In fact, the Bills and Whisenhunt deserve each other.

Well it should be fun to see what happens, that's for sure - good for Cleveland!

While it would have been fun, newsworthy and crazy, I'm not sad we didn't get him. For me, the risk of a bust is just too much. We need a proven guy as our next HC and there are still several very good options out there, IMO...

Guy is a football coach. Who cares about a theater and arts center? Buffalo has that too incidentally, but really, who cares? Don't football coaches work 18 hours a day? If you are not from Cleveland or Buffalo, why do you go there to coach their football team? 1. Money. 2, Money. 3. Money. 4. It's the NFL. 5. Money. 6. Power. 7. Money. 8. Money. 9. Money. 10. Money. BTW, Buffalo has better wings, better pizza and downtown Cleveland is just as much of a ghost town at night as Buffalo is. That stuff is totally irrelevant imo when a coach decides to go to a team.

So lets keep going with that train of thought. He was good with that system in college, correct?

His success in college is what has made him a hot choice for the NFL.

Now you guys are telling me he is going to not run the same system but only use it occasionally?

So should fans expect occasional success?

Not trying to be a smart ass, and i do watch a lot of football, both college and pro's. I am not an expert but seems like maybe guys are not thinking it all the way thru.

like 'well he has been succesful running a sytem based offense, so he will be successful running a more conventional offense that suits the pro's'. You are guessing at that. You just are.

If you watched last nights game when Kelly tried to run a more conventional paced offense K State shut them down for about a quarter. It was not until he started running the up tempo style that Oregon started to pull away.

Look, maybe it will work.

But there is also the very real possibility it will not work.

You're absolutely right, it may not work. There are certainly risks to his approach that have more to do with just playcalling. I'm not suggesting he's going to completely revamp his offense, but it will depend largely on the personnel he has available to him. That's what a smart coach would do, and that's what makes Kelly valuable--- his brains.

Having said that, Bill Bellichick invited Kelly to Patriots camp this year to teach him his offense. The Pats offense this year adopted many of his principles, and the results were tremendous.