Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

Lovie Smith as HC with either Hue Jackson or Fritz Shurmur as OC is really not an unattractive proposition whatsoever. Instant credibility on both sides of the ball.

Again, as critical as I've been about Lovie, this scenario is starting to grow on me.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon people. Stop with the hype and look at the facts. We aren't getting Lovie. All signs point to Whisenhunt. We all know its true. And that's why I'm depressed today. Same old Bills

If they have already made their mind up about Wisenhunt, that goes against everything Brandon said in his presser about getting the best guy. IMHO Lovie Smith is 3x better coach than is Wisenhunt, plus Lovie has stated he wants to be Buffalos head coach. Sorry but if i'm Brandon, i'm picking the guy who wants to be in Buffalo and oh by the way who has a better proven record.

The guy wants the Buffalo gig how do you just ignore that. Didn't Brian Billick say he wanted the Buffalo gig 3 years ago and Chan was hired instead? Hindesite says maybe Billick might still be the coach.

Lovie Smith as HC with either Hue Jackson or Fritz Shurmur as OC is really not an unattractive proposition whatsoever. Instant credibility on both sides of the ball.

Fritz Shurmur has been dead for almost 15 years but his son Pat would do just fine :devil:

I think his biggest strength is that he has coached teams to winning records, SB appearances and playoff wins with very poor QB play.

That's a major plus and fits the Bills quite well as whoever comes in to play QB is probably at best a Fitz equivalent for a year or two (I'm guessing a rookie). So you will need a very good defensive coach.

I'd be happy with Lovie. Players absolutely love him an I think he would fit Buffalo very well. Both the team and the city.

+1

Nicely put! if you can win with subpar talent you are a better coach than those who can win with elite talent.

But I am afraid the more I see this process unfolding Lovie is not the choice :censored:

The guy wants the Buffalo gig how do you just ignore that. Didn't Brian Billick say he wanted the Buffalo gig 3 years ago and Chan was hired instead? Hindesite says maybe Billick might still be the coach.

LOL ... this can't be true because all I have heard is that Chan is the only one that would come here *cough* B#llSh@t *couch*.

But in all seriousness the Bills got calls from several different coaches they just didn't care to talk to them. IIRC, Schotty said he wouldn't interview because they wouldn't even pickup the phone for Marty, Hasslett, was calling along with Billick and of course there was Perry. So they had other choices besides Chan they just decided the recommendation from Cowher was all they needed.

To be honest I think any one going into Pittsburgh would have been successful ... including Chan, however, Buffalo is not Pittsburgh and requires different leadership. I wish the FO would get that. The problem with saying you want to be like Pittsburgh is that you have to build up to it not expect it to just happen with one coaching decision.

Edited by cklapka

Yes, because after three years we need to go back to Dick Jauron's "Tampa-2" 4-3. It's not the same 4-3 we have now, folks.

But it's not a wholesale change to the 3-4 which we don't need. Lovie knows they have talent on the D side of the ball. That's

part of the reason he reached out to the Bills.

Go to the Lovie Smith thread to see me point out this connection and more. Lovie Smith and Gill Byrd (Jairus' dad) have been on the same staff for five years. Gill Byrd is Lovie's assistant defensive backs coach, and would likely join Lovie in Buffalo. This would all but guarantee Byrd's return, and is another reason we need to get Lovie.

Edited by DStebb716

Go to the Lovie Smith thread to see me point out this connection and more. Lovie Smith and Gill Byrd (Jairus' dad) have been on the same staff for five years. Gill Byrd is Lovie's assistant defensive backs coach, and would likely join Lovie in Buffalo. This would all but guarantee Byrd's return, and is another reason we need to get Lovie.

Thanks for that.....I missed it in the other thread.

Hindesite says maybe Billick might still be the coach.

Cappy gets pretty upset when people misspell his name.

No thanks on pat shurmer as OC; his wco style in Cleveland was horrendous.

He had a rookie quarterback, a rookie running back, and a rookie wide receiver along with a 2nd year wide receiver.

Shurmur did nicely with a rookie Sam Bradford in St. Louis.

Check out this tweet...

Lovie Smith@LovietoBuffalo

I need all of #BillsMafia help and get me as many followers as seemingly possible, #BillsMafia WE WILL BE HEARD.

Never mind...it's a fan tweet.

PTR

Yeah that would definitely have to be a fan tweet, that would be the dumbest thing for Smith to do if they did want him. It would cripple any leverage he has as far as contract negotiations go.

I'm wondering if anyone has any links or information on Lovie's relationship with Angelo Crowell, the former Gm. I recall reading stuff about they didn't agree on some big personnel moves.

Jerry Angelo?

I couldn't say. Some of the Chicago posters here said that Lovie got progressively more power over personnel during his 9 years with the Bears but that might be conjecture. Was there a power struggle?

On the other hand, Angelo did hire Lovie so that's an interesting question.

Jerry Angelo?

I couldn't say. Some of the Chicago posters here said that Lovie got progressively more power over personnel during his 9 years with the Bears but that might be conjecture. Was there a power struggle?

On the other hand, Angelo did hire Lovie so that's an interesting question.

Man, I was reading the linebackers thread and really got my wires crossed on the names.

I'm very curious how that relationship worked and how much power lovie had there.