So the next coach.....

NoSaint

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed on dalton. He hasn't failed but he's not a dream come true either. Was a great fit at the time but ill be very curious to see what happens with him come contract time.

As I raised a few weeks ago, I wonder if people in Cinci are wondering aloud why the Bengals drafted Dalton instead of Kaepernick.

As their careers advance, this sort of talk if it doesn't exist now, certainly could arise.

As I raised a few weeks ago, I wonder if people in Cinci are wondering aloud why the Bengals drafted Dalton instead of Kaepernick.

As their careers advance, this sort of talk if it doesn't exist now, certainly could arise.

i think kaepernick needs to show more first. for a team that needed an immediate starter and didnt get that starter in the first round, dalton has been wonderful. i dont know that CK is a guy that wouldve been effective from day one. but back to dalton - as a guy that you build a franchise around... meh. I dont know that he can ever be the centerpiece. CK might be able to grow into that role but im a bit skeptical still.

it is an interesting question.

Edited by NoSaint

Very true. So all we need is to find another Tom Brady? :huh:

the obvious answer (and yes, yes we need to).

but on a serious note: I think we as fans play up the cold weather angle a bit more than really exists, as its a part of the buffalo identity. when it comes down to it, its very rare that any team plays in a blizzard, and ultimately, a well disciplined, highly talented team with a scheme that fits what their skills will be competitive in any weather. i remember seeing a stat a year or two back about brady in the snow... it was crazy how explosive that offense became. im talking 50 point games on the regular. i think most of that has to do with being well disciplined when things go out of your comfort zone. even a big running team has to adjust to a slippery field in those conditions. the team that doesnt lose its mind has a chance to really run away.

Seems like a good time to be searching for a HC as there are quite a few good candidates available. I would personally be pretty happy with Lovie Smith.. but there are a few other names I'd be pretty excited about as well.

the obvious answer (and yes, yes we need to).

but on a serious note: I think we as fans play up the cold weather angle a bit more than really exists, as its a part of the buffalo identity. when it comes down to it, its very rare that any team plays in a blizzard, and ultimately, a well disciplined, highly talented team with a scheme that fits what their skills will be competitive in any weather. i remember seeing a stat a year or two back about brady in the snow... it was crazy how explosive that offense became. im talking 50 point games on the regular. i think most of that has to do with being well disciplined when things go out of your comfort zone. even a big running team has to adjust to a slippery field in those conditions. the team that doesnt lose its mind has a chance to really run away.

That is a very thoughtful response. I am reminded of the 1991 playoff game against Miami, played in a snowstorm, that ended up 44-34 Bills because the offenses took advantage of defensive slips. The problem in Buffalo is less the snow (which is rarer every year, as Al Gore reminds me) than the strong and swirling winds. Whatever the offense, you need a QB with a strong arm to make all the throws.

That is a very thoughtful response. I am reminded of the 1991 playoff game against Miami, played in a snowstorm, that ended up 44-34 Bills because the offenses took advantage of defensive slips. The problem in Buffalo is less the snow (which is rarer every year, as Al Gore reminds me) than the strong and swirling winds. Whatever the offense, you need a QB with a strong arm to make all the throws.

yup - but its nice to have one of those anywhere you play! agreed as a whole though.

Not going to be easy to get a top guy to come here. We are Buffalo you know.....Philly, SD, Bears...etc open. I may get blasted but I think Wade Phillips would be a good choice. I know he coaches a 3-4 but we had some of our best defenses with him. I think it will be difficult to get him to leave Texas but a HC job may do it. I would prefer someone who knows the league and knows how to coach a defense. As bad as the offense was the D was the worst in the league. 600 yards to 49ers??

i think kaepernick needs to show more first. for a team that needed an immediate starter and didnt get that starter in the first round, dalton has been wonderful. i dont know that CK is a guy that wouldve been effective from day one. but back to dalton - as a guy that you build a franchise around... meh. I dont know that he can ever be the centerpiece. CK might be able to grow into that role but im a bit skeptical still.

it is an interesting question.

Yeah I think Dalton had a higher floor and Kaep a higher ceiling.

Unless Dalton shows more improvement, I'm anticipating that the second-guessing will grow although of course Bengals fans are thrilled to be going to the playoffs for the second year in a row.

I'm sure there's very little second guessing going on right now.

Charlie Casserly and Ian Rappaport think Buffalo would be a good place for Lovie:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000120393/Market-for-Andy-Reid-and-Lovie-Smith?

one thing about casserly... he knows mario as a player. well. like REALLY well. makes me feel good about our defensive line if lovie is the guy.

add to that lovie was willing to make forte the star of their offense...

he could be a reasonable one.