So the next coach.....

NoSaint

With Chan being officially out - who is next.

Im guessing not a 34 guy (given our investment in the Dline). also guessing that itll be a name that is short of elite, but above the bottom of the barrel.

Candidates that are either offense or 43 defense:

Greg Roman, SF OC, a popular guy on this board because of the running game and winning without elite qbs

Jay Gruden Cincy OC, brought dalton along, experience in a similar organization, successful, and a HC at lower levels. well connected in the league

Mike Zimmer, long time 43 DC with a lot of success. Players love him, might be ready for the next step. was a hot name, but after his wife died it seems the rumors simmered down. mightve wanted the continuity that comes with staying put. his names come up though and he may be ready to jump now

lovie smith - unemployed (semi)successful 43 coach. team has underachieved at times, primarily due to his lack of ability to get a passing game going (weak line and wrs)

Jack del rio - Denver DC - former Head coach, a name associated with us before and a candidate to get back into the HC game. experience in small markets, and likely learned a few lessons

mike mccoy OC Denver - worried about any peyton manning coordinator but he handled the transition into tebow, then out of tebow and to manning well.

bruce arians - indy OC/interim HC... hot name given the run in indy but was that catching lightning in a bottle given all that happened there. hasnt been ultra successful without great qb play (but who is)

Russ Grimm former oline coach and Asst HC in arizona is back in the fray - he had a big reputation in pittsburgh, and has turned us down before. now has an interview scheduled (rumored) and will be in town shortly. unlike pretty much everyone on the list above he would need 2 strong coordinators, as he wouldnt be a playcaller on either side. more of an executive role

Other common mentions that may fit the profile but that i dont think will happen: Marty, billick

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like the idea of Roman (and if he's the man I'd just like to say I liked this idea a while ago). He'd be able to take CJ Spiller, put him into the kind of run based offense he ran in SF and make him a superstar. Also, wouldn't rule out Alex Smith if he's our man.

I'd like Zimmer. He seems like a great Coach and we need to fix the Defense. There is something very wrong with it. All that said, we have the weapons on offense (minus an above average QB) to compete if we utilize them right. A defensive guy and a conservative guy would be my choice.

this

i thought about listing him but was worried about the manning effect - could be a candidate though. handled the tebow and manning transition well.

I entirely agree. It is apparent that Manning is the OC there(or has a very large influence)...

This is a candidate I would stay away from...