So the next coach.....

NoSaint

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jay Gruden is my pick, he has groomed Andy Dalton into a really good QB and has coaching experience in the AFL. He was also a QB in te AFL and has won championships in that league.

while he has groomed Dalton, he's got some serious talent on offense there and the cincy offense has seriously struggled at times this season...i wouldn't be upset with jay, but i have my reservations.

I entirely agree. It is apparent that Manning is the OC there(or has a very large influence)...

This is a candidate I would stay away from...

i added him for his adaptability and willingness to make tebow work, as well as his handling of manning (though points deducted for manning being manning). all said, i could envision an interview happening, despite my reservations.

Charlie Strong......Catch this guy on the rise!

in his 50s and no pro connections - any more details that make you think hes not just a fun name but a real prospect for our job?

Edited by NoSaint

i added him for his adaptability and willingness to make tebow work, as well as his handling of manning (though points deducted for manning being manning)

Actually, i believe McCoy handcuffed Tebow for three quarters every game and started doing the same thing to Manning until Manning decided it was time he took over as OC. Now McCoy gets paid to be Manning's cheerleader.

Hell, even the Raiders passed on this guy.

It is apparent that Manning is the OC there(or has a very large influence)...

This is a candidate I would stay away from...

I understand your reservations but on closer look, McCoy got some good years out of Jake Delhomme and got the best out of Kyle Orton. He also did a good job with Tebow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCoy_(American_football_coach)

regarding Jay Gruden:

Bengals total yards/game: 22nd in NFL (bills were 19th!); Cincy was at least 12th in scoring.

contrast that to Kyle Shanahan: Redskins 4th in pts/game and 5th in yds/game..with a rookie QB. Granted RGIII isn't your normal rookie QB, but you gotta give shanahan some credit for working to his strengths.

The top coaches are going to want that Chicago job. They have a solid team. I think we have the 2nd best team of those looking but can we convince a big name coach to come here? We couldn't last time. Our team looks good on paper so I hope that the perspective coaches take that into consideration and at least give us a shot at their services

Actually, i believe McCoy handcuffed Tebow for three quarters every game and started doing the same thing to Manning until Manning decided it was time he took over as OC. Now McCoy gets paid to be Manning's cheerleader.

Wouldn't you handcuff a guy who could only complete 46% of his passes?

Hell, even the Raiders passed on this guy.

fair enough. hes a popular name, and i could see him getting atleast an interview. long term hes had some more successes too

personally, trying to assemble a list of realistic candidates to see in our interview process more than who will be most successful - and i think he could reasonably get a call.

Edited by NoSaint

Wouldn't you handcuff a guy who could only complete 46% of his passes?

Quote me his fourth quarter completion %. Again, handcuffing means run, run then throw on third and long/low percentage play. Do i need to go look up the play calling stats?

It is quite possible that the play calling and the completion percentage are directly related and vice versa.

regarding Jay Gruden: Bengals total yards/game: 22nd in NFL (bills were 19th!); Cincy was at least 12th in scoring. contrast that to Kyle Shanahan: Redskins 4th in pts/game and 5th in yds/game..with a rookie QB. Granted RGIII isn't your normal rookie QB, but you gotta give shanahan some credit for working to his strengths.

I like Gruden's credentials though I'll admit when I watch the Bengals it seems to me that their offense basically consists of Dalton throwing to AJ Green. In other words, I haven't been impressed with their offense.

Now this might be because Dalton has limitations or other reasons not related to Gruden's coaching.

Certainly Gruden has an excellent resume, credentials, and pedigree.

Similar to the Harbaughs, the Grudens were raised by a father who was a lifetime NFL coach and scout.

i added him for his adaptability and willingness to make tebow work, as well as his handling of manning (though points deducted for manning being manning). all said, i could envision an interview happening, despite my reservations.

in his 50s and no pro connections - any more details that make you think hes not just a fun name but a real prospect for our job?

Charlie is an agressive defensive guy, with a great attitude and has made dramatic impact everywhere he has been. His work as HC at Louisville this year has been nothing short of amazing. While i am not sure that they deserve the Sugar Bowl bid, I do think they had a great year considering the draw of that program.

It isn't just a fun name in my opinion, he is just as good a prospect as Jim Harbaugh was and nobody questioned his hiring. Now had i said.....uh......Lane Kiffen.....you would be right to pile on!

Mike McCoy from Denver would be my guy for his ability to tailor two completely different offenses and make them work. I have heard many times over the years that zimmer is too crazy to be a head coach but makes a great defensive coordinator which is why he probably wont be the guy

disagree. alex vanpelt and turk schonert would look like geniuses if peyton were their QB.

Arians, what he has done with a rookie under those circumstances he deserves a shot. Not to mention his tenure in PIT. Hoping hte Whaley connection brings him here.

Arians is a good candidate.

Quote me his fourth quarter completion %. Again, handcuffing means run, run then throw on third and long/low percentage play. Do i need to go look up the play calling stats? It is quite possible that the play calling and the completion percentage are directly related and vice versa.

I'm not gonna let this devolve into a Tebow debate. Believe what you want. If Tebow is a bona fide NFL QB, he'll get another chance with his third team.

fair enough. hes a popular name, and i could see him getting atleast an interview. long term hes had some more successes too

personally, trying to assemble a list of realistic candidates to see in our interview process more than who will be most successful - and i think he could reasonably get a call.

I completely understand that line of thinking....i would just love to see the Bills make a bold move and get out of the retread - old guy - safe pick carousel. I am just that is just hindsight gun-shy on my part.

I used to think that Jim Leavitt was going to be a real pro HC prospect and then he lost his mind and made a huge error in judgment at USF. Believe me, I profess to be no genius at picking Head Coaching talent.

With Chan being officially out - who is next.

Im guessing not a 34 guy (given our investment in the Dline). also guessing that itll be a name that is short of elite, but above the bottom of the barrel.

Candidates that are either offense or 43 defense:

Greg Roman, SF OC, a popular guy on this board because of the running game and winning without elite qbs

Jay Gruden Cincy OC, brought dalton along, experience in a similar organization, successful, and a HC at lower levels. well connected in the league

Mike Zimmer, long time 43 DC with a lot of success. Players love him, might be ready for the next step. was a hot name, but after his wife died it seems the rumors simmered down. mightve wanted the continuity that comes with staying put. his names come up though and he may be ready to jump now

lovie smith - unemployed (semi)successful 43 coach. team has underachieved at times, primarily due to his lack of ability to get a passing game going (weak line and wrs)

Jack del rio - Denver DC - former Head coach, a name associated with us before and a candidate to get back into the HC game. experience in small markets, and likely learned a few lessons

mike mccoy OC Denver - worried about any peyton manning coordinator but he handled the transition into tebow, then out of tebow and to manning well.

bruce arians - indy OC/interim HC... hot name given the run in indy but was that catching lightning in a bottle given all that happened there. hasnt been ultra successful without great qb play (but who is)

Other common mentions that may fit the profile but that i dont think will happen: Marty, billick

I'm going to throw out another name...Hue Jackson.