Cam Newton, he's good

I do agree cam is way better than VY and wasn't trying to say otherwise. I was speaking more to the mental aspect. Both were hot rookie qbs that made the pro bowl and neither has proven they can run an nfl offense. Eventually that will hold the team back. Cam wings it a lot and is so athletic that he puts up monster stats...but they keep losing. If cam matures and gets the mental part down, he could end up being one of the GOAT. From the lack of maturity he keeps displaying, I really question if he gets there. I hope he does, this town is more fun when the panthers are winning.

There is a pretty big difference between their stats. VY has 1 more TD despite playing 29 more games, this comparison is ridiculous. Wow the formatting came out terrible so here are the links to their career stats from ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9589/vince-young

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13994/cam-newton

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for full disclosure, i never liked Cam Newton. Didn't like him in college and he's done very little in the NFL for me to start liking him. That being said, i'm not rooting for the guy to fail. As a fan of the sport, I'd simply like him to start getting his act together. He's got the ability to be just as explosive, if not more so than RGIII. Still, I would give my right nut to have RGIII, but I don't know if i'd give much to have Cam. If you're the Panthers right now, after two seasons, you still have a lot of questions about your franchise. Next year is going to be a huge year for Cam..we'll see how he handles that pressure as the fans in Carolina are going to start getting restless unless they start winning soon.

I agree with what your saying about not liking Cam, but also not rooting for him to fail.. I don't agree with how you see he has the ability to be more "explosive" than RG3? RG3 is faster and creates way more with his legs. They both have comparable arms, but RG3 seems to be the superior mentally. The only advantage I see Cam having(its a big one) is that he is bigger and can take the hits better.

Cam wings it a lot and is so athletic that he puts up monster stats...but they keep losing. If cam matures and gets the mental part down, he could end up being one of the GOAT.

I wonder what will happen when he has more than a 57 yo Steve Smith* to throw to.

*See Ryan, Matt

Colts were nowhere near as bad as the #1 pick last year. The tank job was painfully obvious as well as 8 of there 9 wins being by less than a td which means the team has a lot of "luck."

As for the RG3 who would you rather have develop a qb - Ron Riviera or Mike Shanahan? They also didn't have the #1 pick last year and finished 5-11 compared to the 2-14 team Cam joined.

That's some fancy tap dancing there.....so the Colts 2-14 teams wasn't really that bad, but the Panthers 2-14 team was terrible. And the Redskins were practically a jaugernaut already at 5-11. :rolleyes:

He isn't the reason the Panthers are terrible this year. (btw 7 of their 9 losses are by less than a td this year which implies some unluckiness)

That could also imply having a QB who can't finish games.

I wonder what will happen when he has more than a 57 yo Steve Smith* to throw to.

*See Ryan, Matt

Yet I don't recall Matt Ryan pouting on the sidelines about it during his first two years.

To Nix's credit, I suspect he really wanted to take Cam Newton had he been available. Of course, we'll probably not know -- at least not for a while.

Well, good thing he wasn't able to draft him. Cam's not looking like one of those QBs that can squeeze out a win for his team when one's not there.

cam will be a good qb i think but never a great qb. he doesnt want it that bad. lacks the number 1 thing for great quarterbacks and thats work ethic

And you know this? How? Or is it your personal opinion? Reports from of the coaching staff & teammates say otherwise.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059243/article/cam-newton-panthers-qb-talks-of-mindblowing-goals

The guy will be out of football within 5-6 years

You really think fitz has that much time left?

I didnt think Cam would turn out good as there were these issues haunting his past. But he's been a consummate pro since, leading up to the draft and since.

He is very good and durable and if he ever gets a team around him he'll rack up wins. If frisco can win with kapernick cam can def lead a dominant team for ages.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Well, good thing he wasn't able to draft him. Cam's not looking like one of those QBs that can squeeze out a win for his team when one's not there.

???????? And. ????????? Good thing we dont have the best 2 year start from a qb EVER aka OF ALL TIME ?

Whatchutalkinboutwillis ? Some of you really blow my mind. Cam and spiller would be a linebackers worst dream

Edited by Ryan L Billz

If you watched Panther's games Cam left the field late with his team in the lead and the defense blew it for him. Check out games v Chicago, Dallas, Tampa, and Atlanta. All games the defense lost on last drives. The press loves to show his sulking (which needs to improve) but overall this guy is 23 and still learning. If you think the Bills are in better shape than Carolina right now you are nuts. Carolina has a real rebuild going. Buffalo-starting from scratch. The difference-QBS. Loved reading the posts of all the haters out there who wish Newton was a Bill but can't admit it.

I know a lot of Panthers fans. None of them are confident in Newton. Those that think he can perform on the field only believe so apprehensively. They know how good Steve Smith, who is still as good as ever - even better then then last year. They all see the same things - the basics and fundamentals he just doesn't do - staring down WR, checking down when appropriate (he forces passes), not being stable and sure footed because he is not reading pressure, and most importantly not having a bit of leadership and presence on the team.

None of this will matter to the Newton fan boys, though. But the guy has a bigger hill to climb next year then the last two where he has not developed or progressed at all. He had the great seasons in spite of himself on a team that had no other options then make Cam pass. That exposed him.

Oh, and its just funny. the Newton apologists can make excuses for him but square right on Fitz. I've watched many of Newtons games. Probably 6 or 7. The guy is not much different then Fitz when it comes to performance levels and consistency with errors.

???????? And. ????????? Good thing we dont have the best 2 year start from a qb EVER aka OF ALL TIME ?

Whatchutalkinboutwillis ? Some of you really blow my mind. Cam and spiller would be a

linebackers worst dream

Guy hasn't had a winning season yet man ease up on the praise. There's other things to look at besides stats remember? Like acting like a punk and lacking leadership qualities. Sure acting like an immature showboating egomaniac might get you respect in a college locker room but it won't at this level especially when on top of all of his childish behavior he tells his teammates to "get on his level" haha what an a-hole glad we didn't get him

If you watched Panther's games Cam left the field late with his team in the lead and the defense blew it for him. Check out games v Chicago, Dallas, Tampa, and Atlanta. All games the defense lost on last drives. The press loves to show his sulking (which needs to improve) but overall this guy is 23 and still learning. If you think the Bills are in better shape than Carolina right now you are nuts. Carolina has a real rebuild going. Buffalo-starting from scratch. The difference-QBS. Loved reading the posts of all the haters out there who wish Newton was a Bill but can't admit it.

You can hang your hat on all the stats and excuses all you want; that doesn't mean anything come playoff time. When the game is on the line and his team needs him to pull it out he usually falls on his face. He reminds me of a bigger Losman, actually. All deep ball with no short or intermediate game, and he sucks at closing a close one. He's still young enough to learn, but I doubt he puts in the mental effort necessary to do it.

Fair enough doc robs house and boyst, we all have opinions on cam. Time will tell the story, IMO just like a young Lebron....cam will have his time. To be continued

But boyst the comparisons to Fitz are way way off IMO

no they aren't. Cam makes as many boneheaded plays as Fitz. He makes more actually, because he makes more attempts. By boneheaded I do not mean throwing the ball short. I mean over throwing. Also missing short passes, not making good reads, looking to go deep when he can go short. He is the anti Fitz in what he does but the end result is still just as much of poor performance.

Fair enough doc robs house and boyst, we all have opinions on cam. Time will tell the story, IMO just like a young Lebron....cam will have his time. To be continued

But boyst the comparisons to Fitz are way way off IMO

I do agree with you that he has a freakish (Lebron like) skill set, with athletic ability that just seems unfathomable in a man of his size. Physically he's all that and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. If he can get his mind right and ego under control he could be one of the greats. Time will tell if he lives up to the potential. My only point is that to this juncture, IMO, he has not, nor am I terribly optimistic about the future for him, but I've been proven wrong before.

Cam needs to improve as a leader but he is a flat out stud. It also goes to show as much difference as a good qb makes, football is still the ultimate team game. That Carolina team was a joke the year before they got Newton.

Of course, there's a good amount of posters who thought Jimmy Clausen was a better qb prospect than Newton.

no they aren't. Cam makes as many boneheaded plays as Fitz. He makes more actually, because he makes more attempts. By boneheaded I do not mean throwing the ball short. I mean over throwing. Also missing short passes, not making good reads, looking to go deep when he can go short. He is the anti Fitz in what he does but the end result is still just as much of poor performance.

I do agree with you that he has a freakish (Lebron like) skill set, with athletic ability that just seems unfathomable in a man of his size. Physically he's all that and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. If he can get his mind right and ego under control he could be one of the greats. Time will tell if he lives up to the potential. My only point is that to this juncture, IMO, he has not, nor am I terribly optimistic about the future for him, but I've been proven wrong before.

i hear you boyst but he does make adjustments and mid range throws to Greg Olson often. The guy broke Marinos record and this "before he figures it out"? We need a friendly bet on this as we are far off on our opinions of mr newton. i need a list of crops and we can bet 100.00 from me against a 200.00 box of corn/tomatoes/oranges whatever you got. for a 6 year period Cam Newton super bowl win? I take the odds 1/2 as he has to WIN the superbowl.......ain't gonna be easy

I do agree with you that he has a freakish (Lebron like) skill set, with athletic ability that just seems unfathomable in a man of his size. Physically he's all that and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

This is all im going off of, if he improves and gets lets say a Tavon Austin type WR in the draft its gonna get crazy in that divison with saints falcons panthers just being WR U.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

i hear you boyst but he does make adjustments and mid range throws to Greg Olson often. The guy broke Marinos record and this "before he figures it out"? We need a friendly bet on this as we are far off on our opinions of mr newton. i need a list of crops and we can bet 100.00 from me against a 200.00 box of corn/tomatoes/oranges whatever you got. for a 6 year period Cam Newton super bowl win? I take the odds 1/2 as he has to WIN the superbowl.......ain't gonna be easy

I do agree with you that he has a freakish (Lebron like) skill set, with athletic ability that just seems unfathomable in a man of his size. Physically he's all that and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

This is all im going off of, if he improves and gets lets say a Tavon Austin type WR in the draft its gonna get crazy in that divison with saints falcons panthers just being WR U.

Ryan just to set the record straight I def agree with you about his talent. He is far ahead fitz and many others talent wise I just can't stand his attitude and I don't feel like he will ever have the respect of an entire nfl locker room ya know? He could grow up and change but prob not. As of right now he showboats after every first down and every td he scores even if they are down by 50 which says to me I care more about myself, stats, and publicity more than I care about winning or my teammates. I want our franchise qb bad but I want that guy to just shut up and play football till the clock runs out like an Aaron Rodgers type guy who does the dance when it means something and is completely pissed off when his team is down by 50 not dancing around lol