Cam Newton, he's good

Come on....are we still really hanging on to this story from 20+ years ago? :rolleyes:

Considering he did it, lied about it, got Tennessee sued for it, then wrote a book wherein he lied about it again which resulted in the victim getting fired (because he described her as having a vulgar mouth, and she was then the head trainer at UT), then she sued Manning for breaking his NDA... I think it's a story that should get stapled to every manning story out there which tries to paint him as a paragon of virtue and class.

He's lucky it happened in 96 and not 06. He'd have been run out of the league by the mob had it happened in today's social media climate.

Class definitely doesn't include a painted laptop.

I'm missing this reference ...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering he did it, lied about it, got Tennessee sued for it, then wrote a book wherein he lied about it again which resulted in the victim getting fired (because he described her as having a vulgar mouth, and she was then the head trainer at UT), then she sued Manning for breaking his NDA... I think it's a story that should get stapled to every manning story out there which tries to paint him as a paragon of virtue and class.

He's lucky it happened in 96 and not 06. He'd have been run out of the league by the mob had it happened in today's social media climate.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/news/story?id=3718266

A funny story.

Edited by FireChan

Google it. Happened at Tennessee.

allegedly. it was never fully proven, i am sure it did but we didn't hear all the facts due to the NDA. as such, yeah, i would imagine it's a little different - maybe less, maybe different... but i think the only dude in NCAA history who didn't cause trouble was Tim Tebow.

18j553zbi55vojpg.jpg

'Show me a good loser'
Cam Newton defiantly defended his actions during a post-Super Bowl interview. The Carolina Panthers quarterback admitted he's a sore loser, but noted he won't change for anyone

Rivera: Cam will learn from postgame presser

Cam: We didn't lose Super Bowl because of one fumble

Newton: 'I've been on record to say I'm a sore loser'

That would be taunting and to my knowledge he doesn't do that.

Don't disrupt the Boyst narrative with facts, he hates that!

Guy had a bad game on the biggest stage & didn't handle it close to well. He'll either learn from it or he won't.

Only issue I had w his early comments before the SB was that he said he hadn't changed, hadn't matured since entering the league. His post game showed he is a man of his word, but his story is far from written.

Don't disrupt the Boyst narrative with facts, he hates that!

Guy had a bad game on the biggest stage & didn't handle it close to well. He'll either learn from it or he won't.

Only issue I had w his early comments before the SB was that he said he hadn't changed, hadn't matured since entering the league. His post game showed he is a man of his word, but his story is far from written.

Those darned pesky facts in the way again! He's certainly matured since coming into the league, but it's very obvious that he still has some growing to do. As you alluded to, only time will tell just how far he progresses.

Its not letting me quote. But newton certainly does dance in the face of opponents. He scores a TD and the first thing he does is pose. Regardless of who is there or who he bumps in to - its Cam Newtons show.

Of all things, his posing makes him just as famous as his playing. This past Sunday he posed as an NFL QB. Saturday night he played as an NFL MVP.

Pesky facts of dancing Cam are still facts. He doesn't get called for taunting. He should be. Just like he should be penalized for giving away balls. Its a rule. He breaks it. Sure, its for the better of the league but its a rule.

Its not letting me quote. But newton certainly does dance in the face of opponents. He scores a TD and the first thing he does is pose. Regardless of who is there or who he bumps in to - its Cam Newtons show.

Of all things, his posing makes him just as famous as his playing. This past Sunday he posed as an NFL QB. Saturday night he played as an NFL MVP.

Pesky facts of dancing Cam are still facts. He doesn't get called for taunting. He should be. Just like he should be penalized for giving away balls. Its a rule. He breaks it. Sure, its for the better of the league but its a rule.

Wrong! Throwing a ball into the stands is against the rules and results in a fine. Handing a ball to a kid or anyone in the stands is not a violation.

I (and I suspect many others) don't have as much of a problem with Cam as I do his apologists. I generally don't like arrogant pricks (see Tom Brady) or loud mouth hot shots (Floyd Mayweather) unless they go about it in a fun and playful way (see TO and Antonio Tarver). And by fun I mean the audience is in on the fun, not that he's showing up someone else but it's cool because he himself is having fun. That line of thought is !@#$ing stupid.

The excuses made for this guy, and the ever-present racial allegations that are directed at anyone who finds his schtick mildly distasteful, are really annoying and actually make him a bigger target.

I didn't like his arrogant persona (or what I read about it - acting cocky to vets as a rookie) when he first came into the league, but I actually started to like the guy around the time of the "Donkey Kong Suh" incident. Now I find myself rooting against him, not really because of anything he's done, but what he represents. Or more specifically, what he's being made to represent.

I (and I suspect many others) don't have as much of a problem with Cam as I do his apologists. I generally don't like arrogant pricks (see Tom Brady) or loud mouth hot shots (Floyd Mayweather) unless they go about it in a fun and playful way (see TO and Antonio Tarver). And by fun I mean the audience is in on the fun, not that he's showing up someone else but it's cool because he himself is having fun. That line of thought is !@#$ing stupid.

The excuses made for this guy, and the ever-present racial allegations that are directed at anyone who finds his schtick mildly distasteful, are really annoying and actually make him a bigger target.

I didn't like his arrogant persona (or what I read about it - acting cocky to vets as a rookie) when he first came into the league, but I actually started to like the guy around the time of the "Donkey Kong Suh" incident. Now I find myself rooting against him, not really because of anything he's done, but what he represents. Or more specifically, what he's being made to represent.

But you'd welcome him on the Bills because he's a damn good QB.

But you'd welcome him on the Bills because he's a damn good QB.

When Rexy's D gives puts us in a hole every game, he'd probably look like a completely different QB here. I really think he's in the perfect situation right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up like Kaepernick in a few years. When the option run game isn't rolling and he's forced to stand in the pocket like the Super Bowl game he looks completely different. He throws a great deep ball, but the intermediate passes are very ugly at times. He won the MVP because he's a great athlete, and that opened up the passing game. I really believe in a few years will all be talking about Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson, not Newton. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

When Rexy's D gives puts us in a hole every game, he'd probably look like a completely different QB here. I really think he's in the perfect situation right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up like Kaepernick in a few years.

I would. Cam can read defenses and make accurate throws from the pocket. He also puts in quite a bit of work in film study. Lazy comparison.

I would. Cam can read defenses and make accurate throws from the pocket. He also puts in quite a bit of work in film study. Lazy comparison.

Accurate deep passes maybe, I recall a lot of inaccurate intermediate passes on Sunday. I also remember watching him against the Bills several years ago from the first row. A lot of his passes were quite ugly. The Panthers did a great job of crafting an offense that fits him. Very few teams are willing to so. That's how he won the MVP. Don't underestimate the power of the Carolina run game that includes Newton. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Accurate deep passes maybe, I recall a lot of inaccurate intermediate passes on Sunday. I also remember watching him against the Bills several years ago from the first row. A lot of his passes were quite ugly.

That was a long time ago and he's progressed quite a bit since that time. You obviously haven't watched him very much if you're comparing him to Kaep who's lost as a pocket passer. Again I say your comparison is lazy.