Don Banks - great quote about Nix and why he should go

dave mcbride

Banks report reminds me of the story Peter King wrote in advance of the 2011 draft when he could not report on anything he'd heard out of OBD. Other teams were putting out info, whether true or not, about their intentions. The Bills meanwhile, remained a black hole of information.

I guess no team goes under the radar like the Bills, which ironically or not, resembles their ownership situation. Hopefully Brandon gets his way to clean house, because otherwise if he's not who's running the show beside the treasurer?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Brandon has the juice to clean house he has more clout than I thought.

And he should be thinking of cleaning house. Nix choose Gailey and its clear that didnt work out.

Besides why would Whaley come to Buffalo if he didnt believe he would be promoted to GM?

Let Russ do it. I bet he realizes it would hurt ticket sales if Gailey and Fitz is here next year.

If Brandon has the juice to clean house he has more clout than I thought.

And he should be thinking of cleaning house. Nix choose Gailey and its clear that didnt work out.

Besides why would Whaley come to Buffalo if he didnt believe he would be promoted to GM?

Let Russ do it. I bet he realizes it would hurt ticket sales if Gailey and Fitz is here next year.

But from what everyone tells me here, Gailey was the only person willing to interview for the job, everyone else turned them down for interviews

So Nix should be fired cause the only person willing to do the job didn't work out?

If I may quibble a bit, an incompetent general manager is the worst kind of general manager to have.

A rookie GM at that. A scout for his entire career, then handed the keys. Nix is a major reason this team is no better off thanthe Levy/Jauron era. In fact as we know they couldn't even come close to the Levy/Jauron won loss record. Yet their BEST starters are all holdovers. Fire Nix Monday.

How many teams go out and fire everyone associated with the teams front office (President, CEO, Marketing Guy, Financial Guy/Accountant, etc?)

House cleaning #1 would have been when tehy cleaned house to bring in Donahoe

#2 - Firing Donahoe to bring in Levy and staff

#3 - When Nix and Gailey were brought in

Those are the 3 if you want to get technical because it involved new GM and headcoaches, a typical Sports team "Full House cleaning". If you go by some, a typical housecleaning is when they fire the HC and his entire staff and replace with a new staff.

Yet there's one thread of continuity and the Bills still suck.

Coincidence?

But from what everyone tells me here, Gailey was the only person willing to interview for the job, everyone else turned them down for interviews

So Nix should be fired cause the only person willing to do the job didn't work out?

Not quite. He should be fired because his record in the draft is abysmal, and he has proven incapable of evaluating and drafting quarterbacks. He is not competent to be a general manager in the NFL. That about covers it.

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t11_a5

Buffalo -- The Bills are expected to end the three-year Chan Gailey coaching era following this season's major disappointment, but the mystery in Buffalo is whether general manager Buddy Nix is also on his way out. Team CEO Russ Brandon is thought to be in favor of a full house-cleaning, but no one I talked to within the league had a great handle on whether Bills owner Ralph Wilson agrees.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas dropped a cryptic hint of changes to come within the organization via Twitter the other day, but no one seems quite sure what form a potential GM move would take. One option would be elevating assistant GM/director of player personnel Doug Whaley to the top job and commencing a coaching search after that change was made.

Another potential GM candidate would be Caldwell, Atlanta's well-regarded director of player personnel. He's from the Buffalo area, and would welcome the chance to help the Bills end their NFL-worst playoff drought, which stands at 13 seasons and counting.

As one NFL club executive explained, replacing Nix now is probably the smart move, because he has made it known the Bills will be aggressive in the search for the club's next starting quarterback, with Ryan Fitzpatrick not expected to return. "If you've got a GM who's hell-bent on getting a quarterback, you've got a guy who's at least in danger of giving up the farm to do so,'' the NFL club executive said. "A desperate general manager is the worst kind of general manager to have.''

Agreed. Time for changes...

Not quite. He should be fired because his record in the draft is abysmal, and he has proven incapable of evaluating and drafting quarterbacks. He is not competent to be a general manager in the NFL. That about covers it.

His record in teh draft is not Abysmal. Its not amzing, but its not much worse then many other teams in the league. he has had 3 years of drafts, some of those players are just starting to become the players they expected. I bet you were on the Spillers a bust bandwagon last season, that one turned around quickly, should have used an ambulance instead of wagon though with all the broken ankles people got from jumping off and on that one.

If you are going to say he isn't capable of being an NFL GM cause in the 3 years he has been year he hasn't found a franchise QB, then half the NFLs GM's aren't competent either. How many here were screaming last year when there was a chance that the Bills could take Cam Newton prior to the draft if he fell to 3 because they need a pass rusher like Dareus? It seemed like every year there was always a bigger need according tot eh fans then drafting a QB, until Fitz proved this year he isn't the answer, then the FO should have known that already and picked up someone who in hindsight is better

His record in teh draft is not Abysmal. Its not amzing, but its not much worse then many other teams in the league. he has had 3 years of drafts, some of those players are just starting to become the players they expected. I bet you were on the Spillers a bust bandwagon last season, that one turned around quickly, should have used an ambulance instead of wagon though with all the broken ankles people got from jumping off and on that one.

If you are going to say he isn't capable of being an NFL GM cause in the 3 years he has been year he hasn't found a franchise QB, then half the NFLs GM's aren't competent either. How many here were screaming last year when there was a chance that the Bills could take Cam Newton prior to the draft if he fell to 3 because they need a pass rusher like Dareus? It seemed like every year there was always a bigger need according tot eh fans then drafting a QB, until Fitz proved this year he isn't the answer, then the FO should have known that already and picked up someone who in hindsight is better

Spiller is just about his only solid pick and that one is debatable given their other needs and the fact that they already had Lynch and Jackson on the roster. In case you haven't noticed, Dareus has been mediocre and at least 5 or 6 players taken soon afterward have already proven to be rising stars including an absolute beast of a wide receiver. Anyone who was paying attention has known since the middle or last season--at the latest--that Fitzpatrick is not a good NFL QB. Nevertheless, Nix made no effort to find a replacement, or even a decent prospect, in the draft, despite the fact that there were at least three sitting there for the taking in round three. (I won't even mention Dalton or Kapernick.) He has been GM for three years and the team is worse than when he took over. I have to add that after hearing Nix interviewed on the radio recently, I was surprised that any professional sports team would put him in charge of anything more complicated than groundskeeping.

Spiller is just about his only solid pick and that one is debatable given their other needs and the fact that they already had Lynch and Jackson on the roster. In case you haven't noticed, Dareus has been mediocre and at least 5 or 6 players taken soon afterward have already proven to be rising stars including an absolute beast of a wide receiver. Anyone who was paying attention has known since the middle or last season--at the latest--that Fitzpatrick is not a good NFL QB. Nevertheless, Nix made no effort to find a replacement, or even a decent prospect, in the draft, despite the fact that there were at least three sitting there for the taking in round three. (I won't even mention Dalton or Kapernick.) He has been GM for three years and the team is worse than when he took over. I have to add that after hearing Nix interviewed on the radio recently, I was surprised that any professional sports team would put him in charge of anything more complicated than groundskeeping.

1) spiller may be an absolute superstar in this league.

2) 3rd round selections at qb are rarely, if ever the answer. if he passed on a first round talent it would be a different debate

3) unfortunately, and some blame lays on him for this, we switched defenses twice since hes been here. guys like troupe and carrington, or all the midround linebackers arent instant impact players and now they are being asked to play out of position. some will do better than other. id call his draft record fairly average when honestly compared around the league.

2) 3rd round selections at qb are rarely, if ever the answer. if he passed on a first round talent it would be a different debate

Tell that to Seattle and Washington. Wilson has put up better numbers than Andrew Luck this year in a more conservative offense. If that's not a first round talent, what is? He might even win a Super Bowl this year. Nix should have been desperate to bring a talented QB prospect on board LAST year but he was asleep at the wheel. He moved UP to pick a WR who has been outperformed by several other ones selected a few picks later.

And Leaf was seen as a top 2 pick, Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith were both seen as #1 overall picks

He still gave up alot to move up and take a chance on someone who has never played a down in the NFL before and had a 50/50 chance of being either the next Vick, or the next Newton

13 years of futility has been through 3-4 house cleanings already, How have those worked out?

Problem there though is the losing culture is firmly embedded in Buffalo. Change for the sake of a new mentality and culture has to happen now. This regime has lost everyones respect.

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t11_a5

Buffalo -- The Bills are expected to end the three-year Chan Gailey coaching era following this season's major disappointment, but the mystery in Buffalo is whether general manager Buddy Nix is also on his way out. Team CEO Russ Brandon is thought to be in favor of a full house-cleaning, but no one I talked to within the league had a great handle on whether Bills owner Ralph Wilson agrees.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas dropped a cryptic hint of changes to come within the organization via Twitter the other day, but no one seems quite sure what form a potential GM move would take. One option would be elevating assistant GM/director of player personnel Doug Whaley to the top job and commencing a coaching search after that change was made.

Another potential GM candidate would be Caldwell, Atlanta's well-regarded director of player personnel. He's from the Buffalo area, and would welcome the chance to help the Bills end their NFL-worst playoff drought, which stands at 13 seasons and counting.

As one NFL club executive explained, replacing Nix now is probably the smart move, because he has made it known the Bills will be aggressive in the search for the club's next starting quarterback, with Ryan Fitzpatrick not expected to return. "If you've got a GM who's hell-bent on getting a quarterback, you've got a guy who's at least in danger of giving up the farm to do so,'' the NFL club executive said. "A desperate general manager is the worst kind of general manager to have.''

God i hope this would happen.

Tell that to Seattle and Washington. Wilson has put up better numbers than Andrew Luck this year in a more conservative offense. If that's not a first round talent, what is? He might even win a Super Bowl this year. Nix should have been desperate to bring a talented QB prospect on board LAST year but he was asleep at the wheel. He moved UP to pick a WR who has been outperformed by several other ones selected a few picks later.

cousins has proven nothing yet.

before wilson who was your last successful mid round qb? schaub? typically when those guys work well they end up like fitz - a good backup. something we have more than one of these days. wilson looks like he may be the exception more than the rule. its easy to be upset about, but... its not like he passed on any potential top picks at qb (besides clausen, gabbert, and locker i suppose). i wouldve liked wilson too, but if he was really a slam dunk he wouldnt have been there in the 3rd. he was a guy with a high ceiling and hes doing well in reaching it. very few in that area actually do though. honestly, we dont yet know what he will do long term. guys like edwards, kolb, derek anderson even (probowl selection)... have looked really good at times early and then fallen off as the nfl catches up to both their skill sets and the offense being run. keep in mind, the last few weeks bevell has DRAMATICALLY changed their offense too. pistol, read option, etc... being added.

and if the qb is as terribly awful as you think (which he certainly isnt good) isnt it a bit tough to have a final evaluation done on the WR we have? hes shown some nice flashes for a mid round rookie.

it seems to me buddy is of the school of thought that you get top qbs at the top of the draft and not wanting to waste a lot of midround picks (because most of those midrounders end up wasted). following that formula works out well for the most part - he just has to pull the trigger at some point.