Announcers about Bills (Wannsteds D) - "They Just Line Up"

Even the announcers know that Wannsteds defensive scheme is a joke. On a 3rd a 5 today they were jokinly around and said "they don't give you different looks, they just line up"...lolol. Yet again Wannsteds D isn't ready for the read-option. When you can't rush the passer with the front 4, have you ever heard of in-game adjustments?

If Gailey is indeed retained, the must change that has to be made on the coaching staff is the defensive coordinator. It's a total joke.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Even the announcers know that Wannsteds defensive scheme is a joke. On a 3rd a 5 today they were jokinly around and said "they don't give you different looks, they just line up"...lolol. Yet again Wannsteds D isn't ready for the read-option. When you can't rush the passer with the front 4, have you ever heard of in-game adjustments?

If Gailey is indeed retained, the must change that has to be made on the coaching staff is the defensive coordinator. It's a total joke.

Agree 1000% - with the talent that we have on defense and we are about to set NFL records in poor defense while playing a very weak schedule...he has to go

Wanny's trademark is straight defense. No blitzing, wrinkles etc. It is what it is. Works well when you have great talent.

Not in today's NFL it doesn't. Even the teams with the best dline talent in the league have to be aggressive at times and adjust in game to compensate. The game is too offensive oriented to run a straight man to man vanilla scheme

I don't know enough about defensive scheming to comment specifically on whether Wanny is or isn't doing the right thing, and I don't think the broadcast of the game allows fans to see the whole field enough for anyone that does know to comment accurately. In saying that a large part of the game is passion, emotion, and interest. This is evident in the playoffs when you see defenses ramp up the intensity and in some cases play better than they have throughout the year. I know that the money these guys made should be motivation enough, blah blah blah. We have talent and you can't say that in order to be an NFL or college coach you must know an awful lot about football.

To me the driving force of an NFL team is the QB. I'd argue all day long with anyone that if we had a QB worth his salt, this team would be very good. I know it's been said at nauseum, but it's all this team needs.

I don't know enough about defensive scheming to comment specifically on whether Wanny is or isn't doing the right thing

The problem is that he isn't doing anything. He's the most passive D co-ordinator in the NFL.

There's probably 100 guys on this board who could do exactly what he's done this year.

No disguises, no overloads, no deception, no efforts whatsoever to make opposing offenses uncomfortable.

This team WILL NOT WIN with him calling shots.

The problem is that he isn't doing anything. He's the most passive D co-ordinator in the NFL.

There's probably 100 guys on this board who could do exactly what he's done this year.

No disguises, no overloads, no deception, no efforts whatsoever to make opposing offenses uncomfortable.

This team WILL NOT WIN with him calling shots.

Our defense is basically madden 4-3 and either calling man or cover 2.

I doubt you could know that. I'm not saying he's not a problem, but if Peyton was our QB we'd have 11 wins, and it would be just a matter of do we have a good enough defense to win it all.

He's certainly the most passive co-ordinator I've seen anywhere in the league this year.

And with all due respect to Peyton Manning, he'd need to average about 35 points/game with an offense that boasts exactly 1 NFL quality WR and 1 lead-footed TE that can't block.

Regardless of what they do in the offseason, this team isn't likely to improve unless they make sweeping changes to the coaching staff.

Our defense is basically madden 4-3 and either calling man or cover 2.

There's some cover 3 mixed in too!

I don't much mind it honestly, with a little more talent we'd get bye. Barnett on Reggie will cost us every time. No scheme fixes that....

Edited by NoSaint

Wanny's trademark is straight defense. No blitzing, wrinkles etc. It is what it is. Works well when you have great talent.

His trademark is no tradmark.

I guess without the 8 Pro Bowlers that he had in Dallas his defenses are not very good.

Perry Fewell did much more with less talent.

I doubt you could know that. I'm not saying he's not a problem, but if Peyton was our QB we'd have 11 wins, and it would be just a matter of do we have a good enough defense to win it all.

Earlier in the season, statistically Wannstedt was the most conservative d-coordinator in the league at calling blitzes. Add to that a scheme which shows a very basic look all game long and a d-coordinator that doesn't adjust the gameplan or aggressiveness as the game unfolds. It's absolutely pathetic how bad of a coach he is.

I cannot understand his thought process. It must go something along the lines of...

"Well the front four aren't getting there...anyways..."

"Every good red zone stop starts with zone coverage, right?"

"Nick, Kelvin, what are you guys doing up here?"

"Hey Chan, I'm going to get an early start, ya know, beat the crowd outta here..."