Pro Football Focus on Stevie's route running

l< j

The guy completely destroys people at the line, is a treat to watch. Brady would love to have a guy like this on his team, I could see him geting 1500 yards and 10+ tds in that offense. I wish we had a real QB to make timely and accurate throws. =/

agree Stevie would be insane with a good qb like Brady. and I have thought he was a Chris Carter clone for a while now......amazing footwork.

I just wish he would celebrate more

I strongly disagree. The Bills have way too much emotion on this team. In my day when players were real men, they jsut had the ball to the official, shake their hand, and go to their job at the coal mine. Also, buzz cuts for everyone.

Seriously, SJ is always open. The fact he isn't a top 10 receiver is all about his QB.

The guy completely destroys people at the line, is a treat to watch. Brady would love to have a guy like this on his team, I could see him geting 1500 yards and 10+ tds in that offense. I wish we had a real QB to make timely and accurate throws. =/

I would like to see the Bills have a QB that could hit SJ more reliably when he's open. That said:

1) the article doesn't say this, but implies that it's sort of SJ or no one on the Bills WR. That puts a lot of pressure on Fitz.

2) No way would Brady like to have SJ on his team. The Pats offense is all about timing and precise route running. Brady wants to know where his receivers will wind up - to the inch

Remember how analysts talked about Chris Carter? They always pointed out his boundary catching ability.

SJunotres has this ability. But Stevie has an element Carter lacked: the shake-n-bake route or dare i say "the Ricky Bobby". I'd like to see more Stevie passes to the boundary like Carter. In fact Brian Billick the coach of Chris Carter & a coach who wanted the Buffalo HC job would be a good fit for Stevie.

Pass catching is an art as Chris Carter once said. I feel Stevie's routes are an art to behold.

Edited by BigCountryBills

Really? I don't see any of Stevie in Wes and vice versa. Physically different too.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Neither would fit the prototypical number 1 WR. Neither has the height or size to be a prototypical elite number 1. Neither is good on the outside. Both make their plays in the inside of the field. Stevie on slants quite frequently and Wes being a slot WR.

Neither would fit the prototypical number 1 WR. Neither has the height or size to be a prototypical elite number 1. Neither is good on the outside. Both make their plays in the inside of the field. Stevie on slants quite frequently and Wes being a slot WR.

Interesting. Not sure sure if I think size is a problem for him at 6' 2" but i agree neither is your prototype #1.

Why do you say he is bad on the outside? That's where he plays the majority of the time and runs all those slants you mention. This has been his best year but Fitz has missed him so much we're not seeing his full potential.

Edited by stony

Interesting. Not sure sure if I think size is a problem for him at 6' 2" but i agree neither is your prototype #1.

Why do you say he is bad on the outside? That's where he plays the majority of the time and runs all those slants you mention. This has been his best year but Fitz has missed him so much we're not seeing his full potential.

i never said he is bad on the outside. Just stating that he always goes into the middle. Maybe I just think he runs to the inside more so than your normal outside WR. Maybe it's because Nix was recently on GR saying they'd like to draft a big physical WR opposite TJ and move Stevie into the slot. After hearing that, I pictured Stevie running circles around defenses just like Welker does.

If you got the impression that I don't think Stevie is good on the outside, then I'm sorry, not what I meant. If they were both in the same position, on the same team, in the slot, if bet Stevie is just as good as Wes. That's all I'm saying.

i never said he is bad on the outside. Just stating that he always goes into the middle. Maybe I just think he runs to the inside more so than your normal outside WR. Maybe it's because Nix was recently on GR saying they'd like to draft a big physical WR opposite TJ and move Stevie into the slot. After hearing that, I pictured Stevie running circles around defenses just like Welker does.

If you got the impression that I don't think Stevie is good on the outside, then I'm sorry, not what I meant. If they were both in the same position, on the same team, in the slot, if bet Stevie is just as good as Wes. That's all I'm saying.

I think Brian moorman might have better luck directionally punting the ball Stevie's direction on anything thats outside the hashes and 10+ yards downfield than fitz throwing it accurately.

Sadly, we have little to know idea what Stevie can do down the sidelines.

I'm sick of him saying he doesn't want to play in a city like Buffalo.

Not bad. I'll try one.

"He's not worth the money the Bills are paying him."

Remember how analysts talked about Chris Carter? They always pointed out his boundary catching ability.

SJunotres has this ability. But Stevie has an element Carter lacked: the shake-n-bake route or dare i say "the Ricky Bobby". I'd like to see more Stevie passes to the boundary like Carter. In fact Brian Billick the coach of Chris Carter & a coach who wanted the Buffalo HC job would be a good fit for Stevie.

Pass catching is an art as Chris Carter once said. I feel Stevie's routes are an art to behold.

Conversely (I always use that word improperly), Stevie's not the jump ball receiver that Cris Carter was. That was a HUGE part of Carter's game.

I think Brian moorman might have better luck directionally punting the ball Stevie's direction on anything thats outside the hashes and 10+ yards downfield than fitz throwing it accurately.

Sadly, we have little to know idea what Stevie can do down the sidelines.

The deep out is definitely missing from the Bills offense and I think that with Stevie's ability to break off routes so suddenly that he would be deadly on that play, even though teams don't necessarily respect his deep speed.

This was an interesting read:

"There is no doubt that the Buffalo offense right now is being held back by the quarterback, and performances like this make me wish we could see Johnson with a legitimate passer feeding him the ball."

(That quote is not the most interesting part, but I wonder what SJ could do in a decent offense. He's closing in on 1000 yds. Again.)

The piece suggests some downsides to SJ's freedom to improvise, too.

https://www.profootb...book-week-15-2/

kj

pretty crazy that a bunch of guys from Ireland are this knowledgeable about football

If SJ had Brady throwing him the ball, no one where even debate him being a #1 receiver. He would be a monster with Brady and is the type of receiver Brady would love. He is a bigger Welker.

An accurate QB, a true #2 WR opposite him, David Nelson and Chandler. That O would be truly terrific to watch.