If Gailey is retained how bout Alex Smith?

26TrapDraw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitzmoney. That's funny. His contract is quite average, as his abilities.

Signing Alex Smith is ridiculous. His skills are only slightly better than Fitz. Smith thrived because of defense. He was unseated midseason.

Tired of this constant drumbeat of picking up other teams' throwaways. Let's draft a young QB, and have him learn behind Fitz.

Whats Fitz going to teach him? How to miss your WR by throwing it 5 yards ahead or behind them?

How to throw a pick with little time left to seal a game for the other team?

If its how to grow a beard, I will give you that, I'm sure the new guy will have alot to learn from him.

Drafting a young QB has just as much of a chance of working out as reclaiming someone elses project. Drafting QBs has worked so well in the past. Your even dismissing picking up a player from another team who was the top QB in his draft class for the Bills to draft a QB.

Smith is not going to become one of the leagues Elite QBs, but he can still be one of the better QBs that can get a team to the playoffs. Up until probably last seasons, the 49ers offence was pretty bad outside of Frank Gore. He was unseated because of injury, and they felt the guy they drafted and brought in was playing atleast as good as him so they stayed with the backup. He didn't lose the job because he was "Sanchezing it up" out there

No, this will just give Gailey another excuse to pass 80% of the time. (wow, I have a new toy). Gailey above all must go for there to be any meaningful improvement next year.

Whats Fitz going to teach him? How to miss your WR by throwing it 5 yards ahead or behind them?

How to throw a pick with little time left to seal a game for the other team?

If its how to grow a beard, I will give you that, I'm sure the new guy will have alot to learn from him.

Drafting a young QB has just as much of a chance of working out as reclaiming someone elses project. Drafting QBs has worked so well in the past. Your even dismissing picking up a player from another team who was the top QB in his draft class for the Bills to draft a QB.

Smith is not going to become one of the leagues Elite QBs, but he can still be one of the better QBs that can get a team to the playoffs. Up until probably last seasons, the 49ers offence was pretty bad outside of Frank Gore. He was unseated because of injury, and they felt the guy they drafted and brought in was playing atleast as good as him so they stayed with the backup. He didn't lose the job because he was "Sanchezing it up" out there

You make good points, but we STILL HAVE GAILEY! The 49ers used a LOT of Gore to hide Smith's shortcomings. Here in Buffalo, he will get a huge contract extension, and then Chan will put his shortcomings on display while using CJ and Freddie a combined 15 times a game.

If Gailey is retained, I don't care who is at QB next year because I won't watch a single game. Do you really think a different QB is going to help this clueless coach? The guy has been a loser everywhere he's been. He would fail with Tom Brady as his QB.

WOW that's pretty harsh .. Sir please step away from the ledge !! HA !! :w00t:

No, this will just give Gailey another excuse to pass 80% of the time. (wow, I have a new toy). Gailey above all must go for there to be any meaningful improvement next year.

You make good points, but we STILL HAVE GAILEY! The 49ers used a LOT of Gore to hide Smith's shortcomings. Here in Buffalo, he will get a huge contract extension, and then Chan will put his shortcomings on display while using CJ and Freddie a combined 15 times a game.

People have to make up their mind. Does Fitz suck or is it Gailey holding Fitz back? Because a lot of the evidence points to Gailey getting the absolute most out of Fitz. It's similar to Losman with Fairchild. You can only polish a turd so much. Gailey gets way too pass happy but he has gotten every ounce of talent out of Fitz, so he would get the most out of Smith.

However as others have said, I don't think Smith is that good. He sucked before Harbaugh. He threw 17 td passes last year and was replaced by a 2nd round 2nd year player. As others have said, I'm so sick of other teams trash. Just draft a legit 1st round guy. The gap between Fitz and Smith is so small. Fitz would be a fine mentor/ backup.

If Gailey is retained, I don't care who is at QB next year because I won't watch a single game. Do you really think a different QB is going to help this clueless coach? The guy has been a loser everywhere he's been. He would fail with Tom Brady as his QB.

A different QB would help Gailey if he were a QB who could be accurate and hit throws down field consistently.

Gailey's issues are exacerbated by the mediocre QB talents of Fitz. If Tom Brady was his QB the Bills would

be in the playoffs easily. Even with the bad defensive effort. There would be less three and outs. There would

be less drives stalled inside the opponents 35 yd line. Which would stop Chan from punting from that

area of the field. Many more deep balls are completions which would lead to easier points scored. There

would be an overall, positive ripple effect, in spite of Gailey's shortcomings.

Edited by purple haze

People have to make up their mind. Does Fitz suck or is it Gailey holding Fitz back? Because a lot of the evidence points to Gailey getting the absolute most out of Fitz. It's similar to Losman with Fairchild. You can only polish a turd so much. Gailey gets way too pass happy but he has gotten every ounce of talent out of Fitz, so he would get the most out of Smith.

However as others have said, I don't think Smith is that good. He sucked before Harbaugh. He threw 17 td passes last year and was replaced by a 2nd round 2nd year player. As others have said, I'm so sick of other teams trash. Just draft a legit 1st round guy. The gap between Fitz and Smith is so small. Fitz would be a fine mentor/ backup.

I'd much prefer someone in the draft with upside. I think we take a guy like Nassib this year, and then if that isn't sufficient, trade a TON to get Johnny football.

I'd much prefer someone in the draft with upside. I think we take a guy like Nassib this year, and then if that isn't sufficient, trade a TON to get Johnny football.

Nassib's very interesting but I really want a top guy like Smith or Barkley and possibly Murray. Hell, draft 2 guys. I gotta see Johnny football more but his coach runs a very QB friendly offense that makes guys look better than they might actually be (Case Keenum).

WOW that's pretty harsh .. Sir please step away from OFF the ledge !! HA !! :w00t:

Thats better

He may not have been that good before Harbaugh, but since Harbaugh came in, he has looked better. As I said before, outside of Gore, he didn't have much else on offence to help out. Maybe Harbaugh taught him something to make him a better QB? I think the gaps alot bigger between Smith and Fitz. I'm not saying Smith is the Answer, but if my choice wasss between Fitz and Smith for next year, Smith would be my choice

You think drafting a QB is such a better option, but yet we are talking about a guy who was the best QB in his draft class that in your opinion, sucks and isn't an improvement over Fitz. Theres probably the same chance that Smith could come here and be a starter as there is of the guy they draft being any better. Atleast with Smith, he has NFL experience.

I don't understand why you're so in favor of continuity but then say that "one more year" is the way to go. In that case, why not just tell Chan: "you got 10 more years to get this right Chan." Wouldn't that be continuity?

3 and out is bad but 4 and out is ok?

Chan's job needs to be seriously evaluated. If the bills win the next two games and show some fight/resiliency, i'd be in favor of keeping Chan for another year. If we continue to have the pathetic showings in the next two weeks we had vs. the seawhawks, Chan needs to be fired. End of story.

AT LEAST one more year, sorry if I didnt put that, but yes, I would like at least 4 years to see what he can do. The other coaches got 3, and they didnt get another chance, lets see with one more year of maturation. Who knows, maybe thats the reason for our futility, giving up on coaches too early. Lets not fall back into that again and start all over. Thats it and thats all.

Also, please stop with this "end of story" stuff as though you know everything and speak everything right all the time. Cmon man, its all opinions and no one knows what truly is the correct path. We could crash and burn as hard or harder than any of our recent coaches.

AT LEAST one more year, sorry if I didnt put that, but yes, I would like at least 4 years to see what he can do. The other coaches got 3, and they didnt get another chance, lets see with one more year of maturation. Who knows, maybe thats the reason for our futility, giving up on coaches too early. Lets not fall back into that again and start all over. Thats it and thats all.

I really don't think Chan has another year left in him. He just looks and sounds like a beaten man right now. I think Nix is back for one more year, although I could see him stepping down and retiring to give the job to Whaley (Maybe he does this after the Draft or FA, just before training camp?), and I think that Fitz is back next season (only because of the cost to cut him), but he will have to win the starting job against a rookie drafted early, and jackson (or a new FA signing). Going with comments about continuity, I think that if I'm right on Chan and he retires, Its Wanstache that is given the HC spot for next year so it would involve less change to the entire coaching staff (just new co-ordinators)

If our hopes are dashed to bits and Gailey and Nix are retained why not go after Alex Smith? I know he's not a great QB but he's accurate and he is a way better game manager.Thats the difference between him and Pickspatrick...plus he may not overthrow a wide open receiver by 5 yards down the sideline. Thoughts?

he needs a good running game to be successful just like Fitz but Chan likes to throw so he would not be a good fit.

I'm not going to comment on this, take a look at my signature and look at my constant posts in the continuity thread.

......but you just did comment on that. :unsure:

I feel the same.....but I'll watch every game. Apparently I like the pain. :(

Led his team to 5 come from behind victories last season.

Had a passer rating north of 100 this season. His last game I think he was 18 for 19 or something almost perfect like that.

I've read that Zona front office has already been gushing about Alex and his potential blah blah blah. I think he will land there.

I agree. Its not hard people. Think of the talented 49ers squad. Singletary could not get them over the hump. Harbaugh comes in and everything changes. That could be Buffalo. A good, smart, gameday ready coach with underachieving players might be able to turn this mess around. They would still be in the thick of things with home victories against the Titans and Rams.

I don't understand why you're so in favor of continuity but then say that "one more year" is the way to go. In that case, why not just tell Chan: "you got 10 more years to get this right Chan." Wouldn't that be continuity?

3 and out is bad but 4 and out is ok?

Chan's job needs to be seriously evaluated. If the bills win the next two games and show some fight/resiliency, i'd be in favor of keeping Chan for another year. If we continue to have the pathetic showings in the next two weeks we had vs. the seawhawks, Chan needs to be fired. End of story.

^^^^^ Amen.

I agree. Its not hard people. Think of the talented 49ers squad. Singletary could not get them over the hump. Harbaugh comes in and everything changes. That could be Buffalo. A good, smart, gameday ready coach with underachieving players might be able to turn this mess around. They would still be in the thick of things with home victories against the Titans and Rams.

It's becoming more clear that FAs are fool's gold. A great coach should be the highest priority. Unfortunately, I don't know how many great coaches there are.

I like Chan the person, I really do but Chan has been really bad this year and this should have been the year the team improved a lot. I feel like if he is back next year and Wanny too btw. We are looking at Dick in year 4 (again) and well even I, a simple fan could have told them that was unwise. Last year I argued that the Chan team would have beat the Dick team, this year has proved that, that may not have been the case.

Buddy should be back for continually maybe, Chan, sorry but no. And there is absolutely no way on earth, I want Wanny as an interim....he is also not a good head coach.

Edited by bowery4