Eric Wood: "Toronto series is a joke"

5 Wide

No, it's more money in Ralph's pocket. The canadians support the bills but our poor record short changes them.It helps keep the team in Buffalo

I truly believe the intentions were to expand the Bills market. Without Toronto, we have the smallest market in the NFL. With Toronto, we have the a top 5 market. If that truly is the intention, that is nothing but a good thing for the Bills to remain in WNY because they are a lot more financially viable.

That said, you have to love Wood (haha). The only good thing about the past few years is we have sucked and the games don't matter. But it will be absolutely disgusting if we are in the thick of a playoff push & have to give up a home game there. The atmosphere sucks and it is the worst "home" field advantage in the league. Most Canadians don't even like it. And I'd roll the dice on keeping Wood long term. Great player (when healthy) and great leader.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Eric Wood thinks the Toronto series is a joke. Well, there are at least four other NFL teams that think the Toronto series is absolutely wonderful. Hey Eric.... when you win it aint a joke, is it?

Who cares about the other franchises?

It is a joke for the Bills to give up a home game.

It is a joke because it is a disadvantage for the Bills.

It will be a joke if the Bills win lose or draw. 7 home games every season is a joke.

As a Canadian who has watched "professional" football games from Toronto, I knew this was a horrendous idea from the outset. The place is a mausoleum with a partisan crowd and the Bills mistakenly believed it would be that way for them. The Steelers game sounded like it was 80 - 20 Steelers' fans. Just a terrible money grab that epitomizes the current regime.

eric woods fragileness is a joke (is fragileness a word?)

reallly, I love eric wood, think he is an AWESOME lineman, just wish he had Levitre's body/stamina/whateveritisthatmakeshimnotgethurt

im sure the toronto series does suck for the players....but it makes the team money and helps keep them in Buffalo...so we just live with it....

I love how everyone wants to throw the Bills' records around as if they are unaware. Wood is talking about his dislike for the series as a whole. The atmosphere, the travel, the crowd noise etc, All of those play a role and unfortunately, zero of those factors weigh in the Bills' favor.

The Bills' organization is making their money from Rogers, not the game. The games were an obvious disappointment for Rogers as far as attendance and media attn. They players don't like it and fans don't like it. It appears the only REAL winner here as been the Bill's front office.

"im sure the toronto series does suck for the players....but it makes the team money and helps keep them in Buffalo...so we just live with it...."

^^^ The Bills have been apart of WNY for a very long time without this series. The real Canadian fans don't even like the series. I've had several tell me they'd rather come to Buffalo for the game.

Five years ago, a couple of my friends (Dolphin fans) and I flew up to Buffalo to catch the Dolphins vs Bills at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. These same guys have been to the Ralph a few times as well. They hated the atmosphere even though there were way more Miami fans in TO than they'll ever see in Buffalo. The hate started early. We didn't plan on tailgating, but when we got there no one else was. We found out later that day that tailgating isn't allowed in TO. That's reason enough right there for them to never even have a franchise of their own. And then we noticed the silence of the fans walking into the stadium. No one singing the shout song. No one giving the "opposing" fans a hard time-nothing. We finally got to our seats and the game began and then things got really ugly. It felt like a funeral. The Dolphins won that game, but my friends didn't enjoy it at all. What does that tell you?

Build the Bills like the Patriots and the fans will come from everywhere to go to the Ralph. Winning cures all.

Edited by NoJustice

I read that Chan was expecting Wood to practice this week and maybe play - WTF WHY!!!!

Our oft-injured stud Center is going to play in two meaningless games with a torn MCL?

SIT OUT WOOD FOCUS ON NEXT YEAR

If they manage wins in the these two pointless games, it will be sold as a winning streak and finishing off the season on a strong note..... Chan will be back, and we will get to watch this mess next year too...

I wonder if Wood is trying to get benched.

This series put a TON of cash in Ralph's pocket and I believe lead directly to our ability to make such signing as keeping Stevie and bringing in Mario, amongst others.

Pretty sure Ralph is paying Eric Wood too, so if Eric doesnt like it then he can give his paycheck back like he suggested Maybin do.

I'm not one for defending Ralph, but this was a great business move to help the franchise.

If the players want more fan support, then they should stop sucking.

Who cares about the other franchises?

It is a joke for the Bills to give up a home game.

It is a joke because it is a disadvantage for the Bills.

It will be a joke if the Bills win lose or draw. 7 home games every season is a joke.

Any idea how much Ralph would have to raise ticket prices (currently the cheapest in the league, btw) in order to make up the money from moving a single game a season???

For a team from a small market, with extremely cheap tickets (which is a must for the region), there isnt a better way to make up that money.

Was Wood doing hi sinterview from the whirlpool tub?

Anyway, the Toronto shame was a single cash infusion into Ralph's wallet. It had no impact on the "viability of the Bills" nor did it influence in any way their staying or moving from Buffalo. There is no reason to believe otherwise. For Brandon to claim that these games have created more Ontario ticket holders for the Ralph Wilson stadium is nonsense. The half-filled Rogers Centre had a bunch of Seahwks fans for about 3 quarters.

Anyone who believes that highlighting thineptitude of the Bills by hosting an embarrassing game per year in Toronto is meaning advertizing doesn't understand advertizing.

Was Wood doing hi sinterview from the whirlpool tub?

Anyway, the Toronto shame was a single cash infusion into Ralph's wallet. It had no impact on the "viability of the Bills" nor did it influence in any way their staying or moving from Buffalo. There is no reason to believe otherwise. For Brandon to claim that these games have created more Ontario ticket holders for the Ralph Wilson stadium is nonsense. The half-filled Rogers Centre had a bunch of Seahwks fans for about 3 quarters.

Anyone who believes that highlighting thineptitude of the Bills by hosting an embarrassing game per year in Toronto is meaning advertizing doesn't understand advertizing.

pretty much word for word what i wrote in the fire russ brandon thread..if ralph is not happy making 40 million a year, then sell the team

Any idea how much Ralph would have to raise ticket prices (currently the cheapest in the league, btw) in order to make up the money from moving a single game a season???

$7.73 a ticket.

$78 Million / 8 games = $9.75 Million/game

They say its "double" what they make at RWS = $4.875 Million

So a 5 year deal at the same rate for 1 regular season game would be $541,666 spread out over the 2 preseason games and 7 regular season games.

$541,666 / 70K fans = $7.73/person.

Which would gladly be paid if they werent such an amateur organization. Look at stubhub, etc during their start in '07 or last year. It is also worth mentioning they do next to zero marketing in Buffalo/WNY

Also worth mentioning the new deal will likely be less than the same price/rate.

Likely there are some holes here, just crunched this out. Edit: it is shared, what 60/40. So it would be closer to $10 a ticket.

Edited by May Day 10