New Years Resolution:

The_Real

whoever said the patch didnt work is kinda right. Only because it wont work unless you REALLY want to quit.

I'm sorry, but from your posts, it seems like you don't WANT to quit, you are just doing it because everyone else wanted you to.

Anyway, the patch. It worked for me for 4 months. The 4 months that I wore it. The very next day, I wanted a smoke - bad. So I threw in a lipper. Then after a couple days of that, I realized it was either mouth disease or lung disease, and I liked smoking (see above: I wasnt ready to quit).

Anyway, the one thing I can say for the patch is that it gives you the MOST AMAZING dreams. And no, not sexual (although it could Im sure, just didnt for me). I thought I was crazy the first night when i woke up and told people that i had the most incredible realistic dreams.

Well, I looked on the box, and it indeed says "you can remove the patch before sleeping if you experience vivid dreams or otehr sleep interuptions".

F-ck that. I mean, they were dreams where you felt like you could hear colors, smell sounds, etc, etc... not in a trippy way, just good. I couldnt wait to go to bed.

I guess that just shows how strong a drug nicotine really is, because obviously the only time its not normally in your system is when you sleep.

Anyway, good luck, but I will tell you, until you are ready, and YOU want to quit, you never will.

If is this hard now, wait till you have a drink.

All that being said, if you need a reason to WANT to quit, try googling some pictures of diseased lungs, etc, etc...

Good luck, and I hope you do kick this habit - for you (and your loved ones, of course).

Oh, and just so you dont think Im crazy about the patch/dream coorelation:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/32161

Good for you Bro!!!!

Stay strong and be proud that you've finally done it. I've been 11 months without a smoke and its sooooo much better being smoke free.

Do I still think about having one?.....Yes, but the ugre is so small now I hardly notice it.

Stick with it!

Its been 3 weeks today! You have to want it in order to quit.

Also, I wish I would have quit at 26 instead of 38. However, it becomes a little easier every time I look at my kids.

Finally, I needed to prove to myself that I am stronger than the smoke. I am not going to let that friggin stick beat me. Don't let it beat you

I am 26 years old and every person I know yells at me about smoking.  I knew it was time to quit so I did on New Year's Eve.  Now I hate everything. 

If I am irrational and argue like a complete fool, there is your explanation.

and I apologize. 

:D

T_R

193188[/snapback]

A good method of quitting is to visit one of the now nearly empty bars in NY State. If you light up a cigarette, "health inspectors" will probably burst in and beat the sh-- out of you. Then, they will summons the bar owner for allowing smoking and "Ashtray Possession." It sure is great to live in a "liberal" state! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

PS: Good Luck, and stick to it!

I am 26 years old and every person I know yells at me about smoking.  I knew it was time to quit so I did on New Year's Eve.  Now I hate everything. 

and I apologize. 

:D

T_R

193188[/snapback]

Good job! I've been more than 8 weeks without a cigarette.

Good luck. I smoked for over thirty years and have been free of the addiction for almost ten years now. I do have an occasional cigar - usually at a tailgate - but that is only about 4 a year and not even a habit.

The physical addiction was over in 7-10 days. The hard part was psychological. One thing I did was hang a calendar in my office at work that displayed the whole year. Every day I did not smoke I highlighted in yellow. I kept this up for a year; it was a great feeling - watching that white calendar turn yellow as I colored in the days!

Another benefit was that I discovered I had money in my pocket at the end of the week! :D

Anyway, I do not judge smokers, because I was one and I know how hard it is to stop. Again, good luck! ;)

For what it's worth, I quit last summer after more than 25 years of smoking. Hang in there, and you will get through it. There are plenty of methods, but the key is making it work because it's what you want. Patches worked for me...this time...I had used patches 3-4 times previously and always went back to smoking. This time they worked. Better patches? Nope, I finally wanted it. Smoking sucks worse than Drew Bledsoe, give it up.

Cool, I'm not the only one right now.

I wasn't going to kid myself and make it a New Year's resolution, because I knew I couldn't have made it through Sunday. But when I woke up Monday, I decided 'no more'. Plus, I'm just starting to go back to the gym, and I hate getting schooled in basketball by punks I would normally crush if I could only breathe.

But driving home from work yesterday, a smoke was all I could think about. As soon as I got home I dug through my garbage to find the pack I threw out and caved.

Still, I've only had 3 since yesterday morning, as a former pack-a-day person.

I've heard from most that the "cutting down" theory always fails; has anyone found differently? Please say yes.

Also, does your energy level increase after you quit? That would be the greatest incentive for me if it does. I'm really tired of being tired all the time.

Cool, I'm not the only one right now. 

I wasn't going to kid myself and make it a New Year's resolution, because I knew I couldn't have made it through Sunday.  But when I woke up Monday, I decided 'no more'.  Plus, I'm just starting to go back to the gym, and I hate getting schooled in basketball by punks I would normally crush if I could only breathe. 

But driving home from work yesterday, a smoke was all I could think about.  As soon as I got home I dug through my garbage to find the pack I threw out and caved. 

Still, I've only had 3 since yesterday morning, as a former pack-a-day person. 

I've heard from most that the "cutting down" theory always fails; has anyone found differently?  Please say yes. 

Also, does your energy level increase after you quit?  That would be the greatest incentive for me if it does.  I'm really tired of being tired all the time.

193850[/snapback]

I had no middle ground. It was no cigarettes or every cigarette. That was me. Take the pack you threw out and soak it in water, then throw it out again. :P

At first your energy level drops. Keep going to the gym; as your body heals the aerobics will feel good.

When I quit I walked on a treadmill a lot and went to usenet groups to spew, vent, rant, rage. :D If you start again, shake it off and quit again. If you want it, it will eventually work!

Gum and patches don't break the nicotine addiction, you're just getting your nicotine from a different place.

Good point. It's five years for me - cold turkey. I did it by quitting for one day - every day. It seemed more manageble that way. Each morning I would get up and say to myself "one more day".

I can highly recommend www.whyquit.com and READ, READ, READ, all about what's going on inside your body. You'll find proof that cold turkey is the most successful way to stop smoking and WHY. The first month, I went to this site every day for support and studied all the educational material about tobacco addiction. It's a REAL eye opener!! It gave me the strength and wisdom to understand why I can never, ever, ever, ever take one puff. Because then you have to start this crap all over again.

You're already over the physical addition but you know have to go through all the stages of grieving because your best friend (that little white cancer stick) has died.

Rockpile has given you excellent advice in his posts.

Good luck - YOU CAN DO IT - YOU REALLY CAN. Just take it one day at a time and remember - www.whyquit.com

Keep at it!

The best thing next to never starting is quitting early.

My father smoked cigarettes from the age of 14 to 36. Switched to cigars and pipes until he had a "silent" heart attack and a TIA (transient ischemic attack-mini stroke) at the age of 53. Quit cold turkey then, but the damage was already done. He died of lung cancer 7 years later at the age of 60. First words out of his mouth when the doc told him he had cancer was " Dammit, why the hell did I start smoking!". It was inoperable and he hung on for about 15 months after the diagnosis.

Anyway, I do not judge smokers, because I was one and I know how hard it is to stop. Again, good luck! 

Amen to that.

I've been smoking since I was 15 (now 29). Within the next year or two I know I need to quit. My lungs will still regenerate if I quit now. I really don't want to, but know that day is coming. Oh well, I'll enjoy it for now and quit in the next year or two, I hope.

Good luck to everyone in this thread who has quit or is trying right now, I wish you all the best.

and I apologize. 

:blink:

T_R

193188[/snapback]

You should buy yourself a pouch of chaw. It is not as addicitive and you will reap several different benefits.

;)