8 Cuts Belichick Would Make

Dean Cain

The following 8 players wouldn't be on a team with a smart GM like Bill Belichick.

That's right this season we've wasted $27,901,666 in payroll on guys Belichick would be paying $600,000 each or $4,800,000 tops. You can't make these kind of mistakes if you want to be a winner. This isn't even accounting for the $6,000,000 charge for Fitzpatrick this year, but $4,600,000 on back up QBs, one who has a career 1-11 record as a starter is asinine.

All are near the ends of their careers, 3 are on IR, and 1 guy doesn't even dress on game day.

Pulled from http://sports.yahoo....eams/buf/roster

1. Kelsay, Chris DE 6'-4'' 263 33 10 Nebraska $4,750,000

2. Barnett, Nick RLB 6'-2'' 228 31 10 Oregon State $4,000,000

3. McGee, Terrence CB 5'-9'' 205 32 10 Northwestern State $3,780,000

4. Jackson, Fred RB 6'-1'' 216 31 6 Coe $3,680,000

5. Wilson, George SS 6'-0'' 214 31 7 Arkansas $3,541,666

6. Johnson, Spencer LDT 6'-3'' 304 31 9 Auburn $3,500,000

7. Thigpen, Tyler QB 6'-1'' 218 28 6 Coastal Carolina $2,500,000

8. Jackson, Tarvaris QB 6'-2'' 225 29 7 Alabama State $2,150,000

If the Bills cut FredEx today, he'd be a Patriot tomorrow, even with his injury. He is everything the Hoodie loves. As for the rest of them, probably all gone by next season. Unless one of the QBs is kept as a backup.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dare mention Bellyache in Buffalo? That’s blasphemy.

Omitting current injuries

If the Bills cut FredEx today, he'd be a Patriot shortly after

If the Bills cut Nick Barnett today, he'd be a Patriot shortly after

I'd even go on to say -

If the Bills cut Chris Kelsay today, he'd be a Patriot shortly after

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Are people here and elsewhere really hating on fred jackson? I still think he's one of the most beloved on the roster (for good reason.) He's just not the best RB on the team anymore. Not a big deal really. A much younger, top 10 draft pick should be outperforming fred at this point.

My point is for the money Jackson is finished. He's been paid plenty of dollars. A cut throat GM or any reasonable GM would realize Fred is breaking down like all running backs past 30.

He has had 4 major injuries in his past 11 games, or 1 in every 2.75 games. A competent GM could get a late round, or undrafted rookie free agent that can do what Jackson did this season. And to make the argument that somehow he'll get healthier at 32 is ridiculous.

Gailey's insistence on a 50/50 or 60/40 share shows yet again failed logic. Had Spiller been given an 70/30 80/20 Fred would likely be producing & maybe we'd have 1-2 more wins.

11-5 with Matt Cassell

Just saying

This is the biggest BS stat ever. 1) The team was 16-0 the year before and just lost one player. Unless you're the Colts, you don't completely collapse after the lost of one guy. 2) Cassell took the Chiefs to the playoffs and can be a decent QB,

Belichick gets to model homeless guys' clothing and bang old married women with fake racks simply because of Brady. Brady single handedly took Belichick from Jauron status to being "the greatest coach ever."

My point is for the money Jackson is finished. He's been paid plenty of dollars. A cut throat GM or any reasonable GM would realize Fred is breaking down like all running backs past 30.

He has had 4 major injuries in his past 11 games, or 1 in every 2.75 games. A competent GM could get a late round, or undrafted rookie free agent that can do what Jackson did this season. And to make the argument that somehow he'll get healthier at 32 is ridiculous.

Gailey's insistence on a 50/50 or 60/40 share shows yet again failed logic. Had Spiller been given an 70/30 80/20 Fred would likely be producing & maybe we'd have 1-2 more wins.

The Bills didn't give FJax the money expecting him to live up to the contract fully. They gave him their word and they honored their word. FJax has been a really good player and soldier for this team. Honoring that guy goes a long way in the lockerroom and FAs hear that stuff. Since we've been a decade of hot garbage, this is one of the best recruiting tools we can use.

Since NE wins, they can treat their players like toilets. They win, but there are a lot of scuminess in that organization. Welker is next to get screwed over.

He loves wide receivers playing a lot of positions. He's always had a knack for putting in the backfield, special teams, and even defense - he just doesn't run the wild cat because he has a real qb.

Good post right here. Belichick actually does love versatility. He's got guys like Danny Woodhead who at one point was considered a WR/RB as well as WR/PR Julian Edelman who was also a college QB and I would assume is their emergency QB

Good post right here. Belichick actually does love versatility. He's got guys like Danny Woodhead who at one point was considered a WR/RB as well as WR/PR Julian Edelman who was also a college QB and I would assume is their emergency QB

Or does he just love short, white guys? :nana:

Belichick would just go get an undrafted rookie from the SEC or ACC and pay him $500,000. Running Backs to Belichick are like cattle headed to the slaughter.

Is that why he drafted Lawrence Maroney in the 1st round, Stevan Ridley in the 2nd, and Shane Vereen in the 3rd? (Ridley & Vereen in the same draft, no less.)

I agree with you about Belichick utilizing "well rounded athletes"...the difference between Julian Edelman and Danny Woodhead vs Brad Smith is a cost benefit analysis. Edelman makes $635,000 and Woodhead makes $800,000. Brad Smith makes $3.75 MILLION.

The benefit to each of their respective teams is pretty recognizable. Brad Smith comes in three or four times per game. Has run back a kickoff. And fills in as WR when our WR corps is depleted.

Edelman and Woodhead are grinders. There's no "give up" in these guys and with their lower salaries, it seems they are playing for love of game (or respect of team/coach).

I've never been a fan of Brad Smith and see his position on this team as a luxury...a luxury that we are not entitled to given our record and the gaping holes elsewhere on our team. I don't believe BellyChick would be a fan of Brad Smith's either...unless he had a sit down with him and told him to chop $2.5 million off his salary.

Is that why he drafted Lawrence Maroney in the 1st round, Stevan Ridley in the 2nd, and Shane Vereen in the 3rd? (Ridley & Vereen in the same draft, no less.)

When you constantly trade players, trade back in the draft, & accumulate draft picks you can spend a 2nd or 3rd on a running back. It's pretty obvious Belichick learned his lesson on Maroney. Ridley & Vereen are one-cut & a cloud of dust kind of backs, they are strong with low centers of gravity.

Don't even try and challenge me that Ridley & Vereen are high draft picks. Ridley was a 3rd round pick #73 by the way, Vereen was their 2nd round pick #56 in 2011.

Belichick drafted Maroney in 2006 and didn't draft another back until 2011.

For their careers Vereen has 69 carries & Ridley 330. Seems to me Belichick was hedging his bets taking running backs with back-to-back picks.

you dare mention Bellyache in Buffalo? That’s blasphemy.

Omitting current injuries

If the Bills cut FredEx today, he'd be a Patriot shortly after

If the Bills cut Nick Barnett today, he'd be a Patriot shortly after

I'd even go on to say -

If the Bills cut Chris Kelsay today, he'd be a Patriot shortly after

I wish they'd take Kelsay. We'd run the ball to the side he's lined up with CJ and probably break Adrian Peterson's single game record!

Belichick would just go get an undrafted rookie from the SEC or ACC and pay him $500,000. Running Backs to Belichick are like cattle headed to the slaughter.

You're wrong here. Belichick has drafted RBs fairly high, has signed big name free agents (Cory Dillon) and had longtime vets playing for him (Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris). You can't really typify Belichick too much. He makes most of his decisions on a case by case basis. He's not really a dogmatic thinker.

I would take Freddie off that list and substitute in Brad Smith. BellyCheat doesn't like gimmicky little toys...he'd say goodbye to B Smith's $4 million salary and find a big honkin TE at half the price.

Interesting though that Belichick has had two wide receivers play defensive back in Troy Brown and Julian Edelman. Again it's hard to pigeon-hole Belichick.

Bill took a calculated risk when trading Seymour in 2009, but he got a 1st round pick in 2011 that yielded Nate Solder who is a great starting left tackle. He got a solid starter who is 9 years younger and has a bright future a gave up a guy who was on the wrong side of 30.

I think you're a bit premature on Solder. He looks promising for a highly-drafted second year guy. Lets see how he does against his classmate Aldon Smith this week.

McGee was done with a bum knee. Fred is a keeper. You need a back up QB. Wilson and Johnson have become expendable due to their play and that of back ups. Ok,but for each cut who do you replace them with? Street free agents? Rookies? It would make sense to keep both Jacksons and have Kelsay and Barnett back with restructured contracts. The others can walk because we have replacements on the current roster.