With the defense rising, does Wanny get another shot?

Rubes

On the first point, while it would have been great if he had also intercepted those passes, as others have pointed out, Wilson prevented a completion by the WR, which he is supposed to do. Contrast this to Rogers and McK (who got totally smoked at the line), who gave up a 4th and 1 9 yards pass with under 2 minutes to go. Or Brooks, who got burned on the TD that lost us the game--and McK (again) who didn't bother to cover on the 2 point conversion? Why wouldn't you demand apologies from these guys--who's poor play actually lost the game for us?

As for the second point, as you can see, I was responding to Mark Vader, not you. He was claiming that the Bills and pats D's are currently "on par" with eachother. I assumed anyone who saw the last performance of each D would never make that claim.

Way to get in the way Wilson ! and drop EASY Int's. WEO it's really not a difficult task to catch a football. Wilson can end games by not being a spaz and dropping them.

He doesn't have to apologize but he is definetly costing the team wins.

Just like chan and fitz never apologize. Chan needs a state of the union apology but that ain't happening.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we've been playing crappier teams lately, but that's how it works: over the course of a season, you play some good teams, some bad teams. Perhaps the other teams just played the crappier teams earlier in the season than we did.

I disagree. Over the course of THIS season, the Bills have played a bunch of BAD teams. I'm guessing more than the league average. Next year the defense won't be nearly as lucky, when they have to go up against better out of division offenses including Tampa, New Orleans, Carolina, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cincinnati.

Honestly ... I'm not sure. Yes the D has improved against the run these past few weeks BUT

His 4th QRT scheme cost the Bills the St Louis game coupled with an anemic O play calling.

Other example(s) - the Tennessese game. I won't count the Miami game as I can blame the anemic O play calling for ZERO points in the second half.

I disagree. Over the course of THIS season, the Bills have played a bunch of BAD teams. I'm guessing more than the league average. Next year the defense won't be nearly as lucky, when they have to go up against better out of division offenses including Tampa, New Orleans, Carolina, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cincinnati.

@ Houston L 21-9 - 11- 2 - rushing ypg #8 139.2

@ New England L 37-31 - 10- 3* - rushing ypg #7 139.9

Miami W 19-14 - rushing ypg #19 107.2

@ Indianapolis L 20-13 - 9- 4 - rushing ypg #22 112.2

Jacksonville W 34-18 - rushing ypg #29 82.2

St. Louis L 15-12 - 6 - 6 112.2 rushing ypg #16

I guess it comes down to when the Bills D started to "improve"

mark.gifBills do run defense flip-flop [3:55 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'Over the last five games, those numbers have fallen to 78.4 yards and 3.1 yards per rush, figures that are second and tied for first in the league. The Bills also lead the AFC in stopping opponents 41 times for negative yards on rushing plays, a total that ranks sixth in the NFL.'

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

THE DEFENSE IS COMING AROUND, THE LINE IS PLAYING WELL, THE SECONDARY IS IMPROVING BUT THE LINEBACKERS HAVE NO IMPACT. WANNY IS TIED TO GALLEY, IF GALLEY GOES SO DOES WANNY, UNLESS THEY PROMOTE HIM TO HC. I CANT TAKE GALLEYS PLAY CALLING ANYMORE SO DUMP THEM BOTH AND HIRE ANDY REID AS HC.

I would hope there'd be a defensive improvement when your last four opponents have been Miami, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and Saint Louis. That said, UCONN is right that the league isn't concerned about defense. It's offense the league knows attracts fans and they've enforced the roughing the passer and PI penalties so as to inhibit defenses.

The recipe for a championship team features an explosive offense like Green Bay or New England and hope to get a few stops and/or turnovers on defense.

THE DEFENSE IS COMING AROUND, THE LINE IS PLAYING WELL, THE SECONDARY IS IMPROVING BUT THE LINEBACKERS HAVE NO IMPACT. WANNY IS TIED TO GALLEY, IF GALLEY GOES SO DOES WANNY, UNLESS THEY PROMOTE HIM TO HC. I CANT TAKE GALLEYS PLAY CALLING ANYMORE SO DUMP THEM BOTH AND HIRE ANDY REID AS HC.

Stop with the Andy Reid invites...the guy is not tracking this year. He needs to take a season or two off.

Todays Buffalo News sports 1st story looks more promising for next year. Last 5 games able to stop the run on defense. A good draft and injured players returning, sign Levitre and Byrd looking better now. I would give Chan next year , just too many injured and he is learning by his mistakes. I hate to start rebuilding from scratch again. Let things settle before a new owner comes in. Plus Nix is looking for our future QB

Edited by independent

Has anyone noticed that our run D has improved drastically since Moore and Merriman have taken over for Anderson and Kelsay? I say give Chan and Wannastache one more year. The only way we will be worse next season is if we change coaches again.

Seriously? So in other words, a new regime could not win 6 or 7 games with this team? We're going to have some fun on this board, you and I.......

If Gailey comes back (which I am assuming he will) I honestly think it would make little sense to fire Wannestadt. The defense was ugly most of this season, but, with signs that they are starting to play a little better (though they stil have some major holes to fill on defense), it just doesn't make sense to tear that part of the team down, and start all over, again! I always said that I thought the defense would look better as the season went on...though I will confess, I never expected them do be quite as ineffective as they were to start the season.

I say the defense is one of the few things that improved over the course of this miserable season (but they aren't there yet!), Wannestadt, by Bills standards, has earned another year. There should be a caveot though, if the team continues to head south, there is no way that I want to see Wannestadt as the Bills HC.

Has anyone noticed that our run D has improved drastically since Moore and Merriman have taken over for Anderson and Kelsay? I say give Chan and Wannastache one more year. The only way we will be worse next season is if we change coaches again.

I am still wondering if we have anything in Anderson (I don't think the Bills IR'd him)...would love to see him come back and play this year. Moore has been great (mostly), and Merriman has been adequate most of the time.

Edited by Buftex

I would hope there'd be a defensive improvement when your last four opponents have been Miami, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and Saint Louis. That said, UCONN is right that the league isn't concerned about defense. It's offense the league knows attracts fans and they've enforced the roughing the passer and PI penalties so as to inhibit defenses.

The recipe for a championship team features an explosive offense like Green Bay or New England and hope to get a few stops and/or turnovers on defense.

While the Colts are 7th in offense and the Jags just came off torching the Texans (who the Bills also held to 10+ points under their season average), but hey anything you can do to be negative right? :thumbsup:

Give the defense and Wanny credit. They improved. Magically, you jsut don't insert players and have a top defense. It takes time. I still think the first half of the season was more on the players, but still, it is an improved defense that would have held the Rams to 7 points if Wilson could make either INT. I don't want Gailey back but I think it needs to be a #1 concern to make sure a new coach keeps the 4-3. I'm not going through that clustercrap of switching defenses every 2 years.

While the Colts are 7th in offense and the Jags just came off torching the Texans (who the Bills also held to 10+ points under their season average), but hey anything you can do to be negative right? :thumbsup:

Give the defense and Wanny credit. They improved. Magically, you jsut don't insert players and have a top defense. It takes time. I still think the first half of the season was more on the players, but still, it is an improved defense that would have held the Rams to 7 points if Wilson could make either INT. I don't want Gailey back but I think it needs to be a #1 concern to make sure a new coach keeps the 4-3. I'm not going through that clustercrap of switching defenses every 2 years.

The Bills did not sign and draft multiple players the preceding 3 seasons, change schemes twice, and expect to only begin playing tough D mid-way through this season. They were thought to be a top unit entering the year, and they could not improve until competing against lesser competition.

If you want to stalk me on TBD, so be it. If your standards of excellence are low, so be it. But don't tell me about negativity when the current regime is 15-30 and will most likely miss the playoffs in their third and the franchises 13th season.

Stop with the Andy Reid invites...the guy is not tracking this year. He needs to take a season or two off.

GALLEY HAS HAD A SEASON OR TWO OFF ALSO.

Todays Buffalo News sports 1st story looks more promising for next year. Last 5 games able to stop the run on defense. A good draft and injured players returning, sign Levitre and Byrd looking better now. I would give Chan next year , just too many injured and he is learning by his mistakes. I hate to start rebuilding from scratch again. Let things settle before a new owner comes in. Plus Nix is looking for our future QB

THAT IS THE SONG THAT THEY SING EVERY YEAR. I SAY THAT IS BS. HOW DO YOU EXPECT THINGS TO CHANGE WHEN YOU DO THEM THE SAME YEAR AFTER YEAR. THIS TEAM NEEDS AN ENEMA.

Way to get in the way Wilson ! and drop EASY Int's. WEO it's really not a difficult task to catch a football. Wilson can end games by not being a spaz and dropping them.

He doesn't have to apologize but he is definetly costing the team wins.

Just like chan and fitz never apologize. Chan needs a state of the union apology but that ain't happening.

Seriously, I just can't fathom how this guy is getting flak for two great pass defense plays in an age where breathing wrong on WRs draws anywhere from a 15 yard to a 70 yard penalty.

GW didn't make an interception. Whoopie. Yep, he was right there, his hands were so close, and it just didn't happen. I'm not going to blame him a bit and he didn't suddenly become a bad SS b/c he didn't get a pick, when a team is doing really good to get 15-20 per season. The team shouldn't have been in that position to start with. GW did his job on those plays and is getting faulted b/c he's not Superman?!?

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Whaley...it's your turn. Pick your coaches. The main reason the Bills D has gotten better is their opponents have gotten worse. The Bills defense has been ok, but can't shut anyone down WHEN THEY NEED IT.

As one player said "We need a fresh of breath air".