Rush inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame!

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Music categories are pretty fuzzy...genre's are made up to fit needs...I get that people are upset that it took Rush so long to get in the HOF (personally,they bore the crap out of me), but some of the greates rock music of all time, was once categorized as "pop". A lot of it is just timing, and evolution. The lables and sub-genres really mean nothing. If you were to try to have strict definitions of what is what, it would be pretty tough. To me, the real "rock-n'roll" artists are people like Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, the Everly's, Louis Jordan, Elvis, etc etc... Sabbath, Rush, Madonna,Donna Summer, etc etc are far removed from that....

Gungy...just look at what you would cosider "Rock and Roll". That "etc" at the end could include a crud load of things... if you had to adhere to some strict defintion of what is rock n'roll, and what is not, the HOF would be pretty small. Not picking on you, just pointing out that "etc" leaves the door open for what you want to think of as rock-n'roll...and that is essentially the problem inherent with trying to categorize "art".

The notion of a music HOF is pretty silly, when you really think about it...but I appreciate the concept that they are just trying to recognize innovators and shed light on some that don't always get any recognition for how much their work has contributed to the business of music.

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more. As I looked at my etc.s, I had the same thought.

The Rock and Roll HOF is a joke. Like the Pro-Bowl and the MLB All-Star Game. However, at least the R/R HOF seems like it would be fun; and I enjoy the MLB All-Star Game. I am very, very happy to see the Pro-Bowl going away!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to both - Neither one is a waste of time.

if you enjoy music enough that you are seriously thinking of going, odds are you would enjoy it... if that makes sense.

someone with a broad appreciation of music and it curiosity about its history I think would be hardpressed not to enjoy it on some level. likewise with the nfl

Thanks. What you said makes perfect sense NoSaint. If Reed goes into the Hall I may try to make it for the induction. If not I'll have a much more open calendar of when to go. I've been jealous of my sister who is a huge baseball fan. It is a very easy trip to Cooperstown and she loves the Braves so she has made a few trips as the 90s players go in. Smoltz, Glaine, Maddux, and Cox are all upcoming as well.

who's next, Triumph or Max Webster in this parade of bands into a so-called "hall of fame" that is quickly coming to resemble a hall of middling accomplishments, and tributes to longevity.

perhaps another tire fire is in order in cleveland, or perhaps it's time to push the pyramid into Lake Erie and let it sink.

i want my rock and roll back.

at this rate, coldplay should be inducted in 4 years.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

All I know is Public Enemy is better than all the other bands that got in put together.

Got to say i don't get the hate for the rock and roll HOF. These aren't official rankings. So a tourist trap in cleveland wants to give Donna Summer an award, who cares? It's an annual arena rock circle jerk. This whole ceremony just means there will be something mildly intetesting on tv one day in the spring.

Max Webster

Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M

As a big Rush fan I kind of wish they hadn't been voted in since I've long thought the RnR HOF to be a joke, but since there is a HOF how can anyone seriously assert that Rush doesn't deserve induction? Not digging what Rush does musically does not count as a reason either. By any and all conceivable metrics Rush belongs there.

Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M

As a big Rush fan I kind of wish they hadn't been voted in since I've long thought the RnR HOF to be a joke, but since there is a HOF how can anyone seriously assert that Rush doesn't deserve induction? Not digging what Rush does musically does not count as a reason either. By any and all conceivable metrics Rush belongs there.

I don't dig them, but there is a lot of stuff that is in the RnR HOF I don't dig... I am just going to throw this out there:

When I lived in WNY, there were certain "classic rock" acts that were staples of my every day existence, like them or not... I would seriously doubt that I went more than a day or two without hearing the likes of Rush, Bob Seeger...when I moved south (Texas...south, southwest whatever you want to call it) some of these bands are still big (Rush for example), but aren't, at least as it seems to me, held in quite as high esteem as they are back home. Now, they can still sell out a basketball arena down here, but there isn't the universal reverence for them.

It goes the other way too... a band like ZZ TOP is about as big as the Rolling Stones down here...and they were popular back home too...just not as much so. Part of their popularity is based on their remarkable staying power...and I don't mean this to sound disrespectful to Rush (god knows a lot of the stuff I love woudl make you guys cringe), but while they may be remarkable musicians, they aren't remarkably original, and they don't have songs that everybody would know. I realize, that is pretty flimsy criteria (and obviously, it shouldn't be the only criteria, lots of great bands aren't super popular mainstream, or very original...they are just good), but I think it plays into part of the reason why there seems to be some head-scratching omissions..."prog rock"/metal seem to be slighted. They will have their day.

It is funny, a lot of nights I go to bed listening to the overnight guy on FOX Sports Radio (JT the Brick)...he will go on these rants every now and again about Rush not being in the HOF, but there is room for Abba? Blondie? It is pretty funny...

Edited by Buftex

put me on board with the "Rush bores me" crowd....its the same **** over and over and over again....too bad an amazing bassist wasted his entire career in this band...he could have done some amazing **** with a real band

to the poster wondering about the rock and roll hall of fame....GO...if you like music, GO! I went this past fall when we went to Cleveland for the bills game, spent the weekend in the city, first thing we did was RnR HOF....spent three hours there, could have/should have spent double that...it was Grateful Dead exhibit on top two floors (always changes) and I could have spent two alone up there, just great artifacts in general....cool seeing the clothes (and how incredibly small some of these people were) - best part is set lists/hand written song lyrics....

put me on board with the "Rush bores me" crowd....its the same **** over and over and over again....too bad an amazing bassist wasted his entire career in this band...he could have done some amazing **** with a real band

He may be a decent bass player his voice is like fingers on a chalkboard to me.

put me on board with the "Rush bores me" crowd....its the same **** over and over and over again

You realize of course that that critique of Rush, as wrong as it is, is a far more appropriate way to describe several bands already in the hall. AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen and others have made essentially the same album time after time for their whole careers.

He may be a decent bass player his voice is like fingers on a chalkboard to me.

couldnt agree more about voice....makes me want to puke all over

however, calling Geddy Lee a "decent" bass player is a joke haha....hes an outstanding bass player, and to disagree with that is...well....there IS no disagreeing with that

You realize of course that that critique of Rush, as wrong as it is, is a far more appropriate way to describe several bands already in the hall. AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen and others have made essentially the same album time after time for their whole careers.

id put all of those bands in the "bores me" category as well, sans the Stones

listen to Sticky Fingers, Exile and Tattoo You and tell me those are all the same albums lol (and actually I was referring to the general song writing progression and sound that Rush spews being all the same - all synthesized ****)

Music categories are pretty fuzzy...genre's are made up to fit needs...I get that people are upset that it took Rush so long to get in the HOF (personally,they bore the crap out of me), but some of the greates rock music of all time, was once categorized as "pop". A lot of it is just timing, and evolution. The lables and sub-genres really mean nothing. If you were to try to have strict definitions of what is what, it would be pretty tough. To me, the real "rock-n'roll" artists are people like Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, the Everly's, Louis Jordan, Elvis, etc etc... Sabbath, Rush, Madonna,Donna Summer, etc etc are far removed from that....

Gungy...just look at what you would cosider "Rock and Roll". That "etc" at the end could include a crud load of things... if you had to adhere to some strict defintion of what is rock n'roll, and what is not, the HOF would be pretty small. Not picking on you, just pointing out that "etc" leaves the door open for what you want to think of as rock-n'roll...and that is essentially the problem inherent with trying to categorize "art".

The notion of a music HOF is pretty silly, when you really think about it...but I appreciate the concept that they are just trying to recognize innovators and shed light on some that don't always get any recognition for how much their work has contributed to the business of music.

+1

however, calling Geddy Lee a "decent" bass player is a joke haha....hes an outstanding bass player, and to disagree with that is...well....there IS no disagreeing with that

listen to Sticky Fingers, Exile and Tattoo You and tell me those are all the same albums lol (and actually I was referring to the general song writing progression and sound that Rush spews being all the same - all synthesized ****)

Listen to 2112, Counterparts or Clockwork Angels and tell me they're all synthesized. 80s Rush was the synth / keyboard era. Early Rush and recent Rush bears absolutely no resemblance to that era.

The stones lps are different, my gosh go listen to them