New "Star Trek: Into Darkness" trailer

Buftex

Oh well, whoever it turns out to be, it is kind of cool, in this day and age, when there is actual intrigue about something like this!

Exactly.

Remember how good a job Christopher Nolan and company did on keeping the audience in the dark about Marion Cotillard's character in "The Dark Knight Rises"?

Are you shitting me? I'd love to see khan survive his brutal pvc pipe beating and return to glorious villainy! But how, oh how, could you replace Ricardo Montalban?

How could "The Dark Knight" replace Jack Nicholson?

Damn that's convenient.

It's kind of brilliant when you think about it. It preserves the original series and films for the hard core Trekkers (who are programmed in their DNA to be skeptical of any reboots/reimaginings of Roddenberry's source material if they don't outright hate it to begin with) while opening the door to a new generation of fans who used to think of Star Trek as the nerdy brother to Star Wars.

It's kind of brilliant when you think about it. It preserves the original series and films for the hard core Trekkers (who are programmed in their DNA to be skeptical of any reboots/reimaginings of Roddenberry's source material if they don't outright hate it to begin with) while opening the door to a new generation of fans who used to think of Star Trek as the nerdy brother to Star Wars.

Make that the older, cooler, smarter, wiser, and intellectual brother to Star Wars!

Nanu nanu!

Edited by Buftex

• 4 months later...

Wait a minute.

"Star Trek: First Contact", was not great?

Definitely the best of the Next Gen movies... but I wouldn't say great. Maybe I take my Trek too seriously, but it was a little too hoakey at points...and by that time, the Borg (maybe the greatest contribution to the Star Trek universe for the Next Generation) were kind of neutered. Of course, I haven't seen it in years...maybe I need to go back and watch it.

What I really didn't like about the Next Generation movies as a whole (and why none of them are "great") was that they were not true to the series. The series, particularly for its' time, was pretty high-minded and intelligent. The movies, I suppose to appeal to a wider audience, lost the greatness of the characters that had been so greatly put together over seven years of the series. They ruined the Data character, for no real reason.

The original Star Trek (still the best..with DS9 right behind...and TNG close at #3) could get away with this more. The original series, also ahead of it's time, was not as complex as Next Generation, so the bar could be raised, or not and most would be happy.

Edited by Buftex

• 3 weeks later...

Zachary Quinto vs. Leonard Nimoy

Yes, it's a car commercial, but look how old Nimoy looks...

Who drives up there at the end with the Stanford sticker on the car?

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ