Fitz was outstanding.. for all you haters

8-8 Forever?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger question is: Can Fitz lead this offense to a decisive score when needed. The answer is clearly NO. I'm not pissing on Fitz. I'm just sick of bad QB play. It's so bad that when he's mediocre, people call it "outstanding".

can other players step up to the plate around Fitz as well? No. The rams did for Bradford yesterday with several circus catches in the final drive. Could SJ step up a few years ago when Fitz bombed it against Pitt and SJ dropped it in the end zone for the win? Could SJ step up vs. the Jets a few years ago when he dropped it multiple times to blow the game in the end? Could Nelson step up when he was stripped a couple of years ago vs. Baltimore in the final drive? Could SJ step up yesterday to catch a 3rd down conversion that hit him in the hands and would've kept the drive going and easily killed an extra 2 minutes? Could Freddy not have ANOTHER critical fumble? Could George Wilson actually catch an INT? Could the defense actually prevent Bradford from driving 80+ yards to give up the lead, AT HOME?

This team finds ways to lose. Yes Fitz blows it sometimes, but the players around him blow it just as frequently, if not more. It's a team full of bumbling idiots, led by Chan.

The bigger question is: Can Fitz lead this offense to a decisive score when needed. The answer is clearly NO. I'm not pissing on Fitz. I'm just sick of bad QB play. It's so bad that when he's mediocre, people call it "outstanding".

:50 seconds with 1 time out is a tall order for a come back. Especially when they are getting to you within 2 seconds. Hard to complete meaningful passes when you only have a second to throw.

I personally believe 22-25 of the quarterbacks in this league wouldn't have gotten it done. Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Eli, RG3 (maybe), Big Ben, Brees and few I can't think of might have done it. Rivers would throw a pick or fumble, same with Vick. Romo would choke, Flacco is questionable. Stafford isn't the most consistent either. It's too early to say what Luck would do. And the field goal was no sure thing in that weather anyway. If we kicked a 47 yard field goal and missed it on that drive, half of the posters on this board would blame our QB for not getting closer and throwing downfield more.

The lines of rational criticism and irrational hatred seem to blur on this board quite a bit. I can even understand where it comes from. Every year we play a couple well-coached, supreme QB-having teams, and we collectively sigh because we haven't had a QB like Brady ever.

The defenders of our QB compare ourselves to the average league teams just as much as the super-star teams, while the blind haters only compare us to the best of the best. I personally have no qualms with our QB. I think we have to play with what we got.

I think we put a lot of false dilemmas onto each other as well. I think that anyone guy who still supports our QB would rather have Rodgers. But we don't and likely won't have a guy like that. Especially with the way we draft. I still love this team and will watch every Sunday, and I hope the Bills do find the next best QB in the league. But it doesn't look like we will and I won't piss on our average QB because he isn't the hall of famer I would like him to be.

Edited by FireChan

You all hate Fitz and want him cut tomorrow. The 8andForever handle reflects my belief that the franchise is saddled with structural handicaps that prevent it from ever being much worse of better than an 8 and 8 record. Good coaches will come (Knox, Levy, Gailey, Wanny) , but great ones will not, good players will come (Stroud, Barnett, etc etc) , but great ones reject the place and the franchise and either won't come or leave as soon at they can (watch what Byrd, Levitre do) . so the team just stays " competitive" never having had or if it had, lost whatever non-monetary attraction it might have had to truly great coaches and players. The franchise is a mirror reflection of the place, and attracts those kinds of actors; hard working, blue collar players, but not championship calibre. Win just enough to screw up the draft, lose too many to compete for the crown. Top FAs and players have to be bribed to come to the franchise.

So the theory behind 8and 8 is The Bills are what they are. They are the Kansas City Royals. The Sacramento Kings. Most of the posters here are yearning for something that is simply not possible given the franchise's market and competitive position relative to the other teams. Just the way it is.. they are fun and part of our childhoods and growing up (mine at least), but they are a minor league team trying to play in the rock star majors of the NFL. Competitive? Sure. Champions? Not possible. So you find the silver lining in everything. Hence, I thought Fitz was really good yesterday. Fumbles and penalties lost that game, like they do most NFL games.

Hmmm...well considering we signed Mario, the most coveted FA not named Manning is years, kind of shoots holes in your theory about players wont come here. Not to mention our best players normally prefer to resign here, we just are never willing to pay them what the open market will.

I've broken down the 3/13 on third downs to give a more accurate picture of what happened:

3rd and 9 at BUF 26 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to D.Jones (J.Laurinaitis). Nearly intercepted at BUF 35, receiver slanting to flat at BUF 40.

3rd and 4 at BUF 24 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to St.Johnson to BUF 27 for 3 yards (J.Jenkins) [C.Long]. Caught in flat at BUF 27, thrown under pressure.

3rd and 13 at BUF 43 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to C.Spiller pushed ob at SL 42 for 15 yards (Q.Mikell). Screen pass, caught at BUF 37.

3rd and 3 at STL 17 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to D.Jones [W.Hayes]. Underthrown, receiver at SL 13.

3rd and 11 at BUF 21 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to B.Smith to BUF 27 for 6 yards (C.Long). Caught at BUF 22, crossing from left.

3rd and 4 at BUF 19 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to D.Jones to BUF 30 for 11 yards (C.Finnegan). Caught at BUF 30, slanting to middle.

3rd and 4 at STL 48 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick sacked at BUF 48 for -4 yards (sack split by C.Long and K.Langford).

3rd and 9 at STL 22 R.Lindell 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-S.Powell.

3rd and 6 at STL 34 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to F.Jackson to SL 27 for 7 yards (Q.Mikell). Out-pattern, caught at SL 35.

3rd and 10 at STL 37 R.Fitzpatrick scrambles up the middle to SL 34 for 3 yards (E.Sims).

3rd and 6 at BUF 34 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to St.Johnson.Dropped by receiver at BUF 40.

3rd and 9 at BUF 44 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep middle to T.Graham. Overthrown, receiver at SL 10.

3rd and 19 at BUF 33 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right intended for T.Graham INTERCEPTED by J.Dunbar [W.Hayes] at BUF 48. J.Dunbar to BUF 27 for 21 yards (S.Chandler).

I've broken down the 3/13 on third downs to give a more accurate picture of what happened:

3rd and 9 at BUF 26 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to D.Jones (J.Laurinaitis). Nearly intercepted at BUF 35, receiver slanting to flat at BUF 40.

3rd and 4 at BUF 24 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to St.Johnson to BUF 27 for 3 yards (J.Jenkins) [C.Long]. Caught in flat at BUF 27, thrown under pressure.

3rd and 13 at BUF 43 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to C.Spiller pushed ob at SL 42 for 15 yards (Q.Mikell). Screen pass, caught at BUF 37.

3rd and 3 at STL 17 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to D.Jones [W.Hayes]. Underthrown, receiver at SL 13.

3rd and 11 at BUF 21 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to B.Smith to BUF 27 for 6 yards (C.Long). Caught at BUF 22, crossing from left.

3rd and 4 at BUF 19 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to D.Jones to BUF 30 for 11 yards (C.Finnegan). Caught at BUF 30, slanting to middle.

3rd and 4 at STL 48 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick sacked at BUF 48 for -4 yards (sack split by C.Long and K.Langford).

3rd and 9 at STL 22 R.Lindell 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-S.Powell.

3rd and 6 at STL 34 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to F.Jackson to SL 27 for 7 yards (Q.Mikell). Out-pattern, caught at SL 35.

3rd and 10 at STL 37 R.Fitzpatrick scrambles up the middle to SL 34 for 3 yards (E.Sims).

3rd and 6 at BUF 34 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to St.Johnson.Dropped by receiver at BUF 40.

3rd and 9 at BUF 44 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep middle to T.Graham. Overthrown, receiver at SL 10.

3rd and 19 at BUF 33 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right intended for T.Graham INTERCEPTED by J.Dunbar [W.Hayes] at BUF 48. J.Dunbar to BUF 27 for 21 yards (S.Chandler).

Wow. Awesome.

You must get this pinned somehow.

Thanks for the effort!

I knew people would glom onto that last interception. That interception was meaningless. The game ended on the sack where we had to burn our last time out. On that play Fitz would have had to complete a 40+ yard play then get everyone lined up to spike the ball. There were no time outs. Besides, Fitz was hit as he threw the ball.

Which reminds me how no one is harping on the O-line like that didn't matter.

PTR

Meaningless...now I have seen it all. Time left to complete more than one pass play to get into FG range, but the play was meaningless. The loser mentality of this board never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by Alphadawg7

He certainly hasn't done it since the NE game last season. I agree it's time to move on, assuming there is someone who is a decisive upgrade available. I'm not swapping Fitz for Jay Cutler or someone similar. What would be the point?

No offense, but honestly this is one of the dumbest things I have seen you say to defend Fitz, and thats saying a lot. The interception was meaningless? Really? Meaningless? If he completes a pass where the WR can get our of bounds instead of an INT then we are within striking distance from a FG try. COUNTLESS TIMES IN THE NFL, this year, and in history, teams have have won or tied games just like this or worse. Look at the Atlanta game against Carolina. I mean I can not even believe you are stooping to this loser talk. So it was possible to still tie or win, difficult yes, but still possible...you know whats not possible? Winning after he throws a game ending INT to end the game and season.

I agree a better QB could have led that drive. Fitz can't make the long throw. But you do realize we had 3rd stringers on the O-line right? How many times was Fitz sacked yesterday? That line was terrible against a very good Rams pass rush. I agree we have to get better at QB but doesn't any other player on this team share any responsibility?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So we convert only 3 first downs on third down and in all 3rd down attempts Fitz passed the ball...so he failed on 8 of the 13 tries...One SJ dropped it because he plays like a p*ssy...the other we opted for a FG on 3rd down at the end of the half and then we converted 3. And of the 8 fails, one was an INT and another should have been an INT...and the INT ended the game.

Guess that is Buffalo Fans version of outstanding.

He certainly hasn't done it since the NE game last season. I agree it's time to move on, assuming there is someone who is a decisive upgrade available. I'm not swapping Fitz for Jay Cutler or someone similar. What would be the point?

I agree a better QB could have led that drive. Fitz can't make the long throw. But you do realize we had 3rd stringers on the O-line right? How many times was Fitz sacked yesterday? That line was terrible against a very good Rams pass rush. I agree we have to get better at QB but doesn't any other player on this team share any responsibility?

PTR

Listen we are on the same page with OL...and I have said that I hold Chan accountable way more than Fitz yesteday, I just get worked up when I see things like this claiming something meaningless to defend how bad of a throw it was...again.

Personally, Chan lost us that game...I actually put ALL the blame on Chan. If Fitz would have gotten us into FG range, and we tied, then won in OT then we would have won INSPITE of Chan. But that doesn't absolve Fitz is all I am saying. Plus a large part of the reason I blame Chan is because he used Fitz too much and he isn't good enough to be the center piece of this offense. Spiller only got 7 touches? Can you imagine a close game where Peterson only gets 7 touches?

For me, Fitz played a rough game that was masked by short ineffective passes. For people to call it outstanding is beyond me. Other players failed too, like Wilson, the OL, Fred, SJ, and Chan. Its no one persons loss, but this thread was about Fitz's individual performance and it being labeled "outstanding", so that is why Fitz is the center of the topic. You want to start a thread on the OL, I am right there agreeing that the OL had a rough day on the right side yesterday with all our injuries. Just like I am right there in the thread about Chan saying he needs to be fired, especially after passing on the FG try which was so gutless that it should be the sole reason he is fired. But in a thread about Fitz, the main topic is going to be Fitz.

Edited by Alphadawg7

And yet you can set your watch to a fitz 4th Q interception. Awesome how low the bar has been set that we call his day "outstanding."

Come on. Once again the Bills are down a few points with nowhere near enough time left. This is a nearly impossible situation for a QB. You just have to force a throw into coverage and hope for the best. To judge Fitz's performances based on the picks he throws in these scenarios is totally unfair. No way yesterday's loss was Fitz's fault.

You know, other quarterbacks - even the ones we think of as "elite"- throw picks and miss receivers on deep routes ALL THE TIME.

It seems like the only way Bills fans are going to be happy with Fitz is if he completes every single pass he throws.

Edited by skibum

Come on. Once again the Bills are down a few points with nowhere near enough time left. This is a nearly impossible situation for a QB. You just have to force a throw into coverage and hope for the best. To judge Fitz's performances based on the picks he throws in these scenarios is totally unfair. It's like putting SB XXV entirely on Scott Norwood. Now way yesterday's loss was Fitz's fault.

Impossible? LMAO at that...are you for real? Its already happened multiple times THIS YEAR by other teams, including ROOKIES. This happens year after year in the league, and even in worse situations. Just stop already people with painting it like it was impossible when it happens all the time in the NFL by real teams, and happens a lot against us for crying out loud. I do agree that it was impossible for Fitz, Chan, and the ineptness of this JV organization to achieve, but not for any other pro football team.

Edited by Alphadawg7

:50 seconds with 1 time out is a tall order for a come back. Especially when they are getting to you within 2 seconds. Hard to complete meaningful passes when you only have a second to throw.

I personally believe 22-25 of the quarterbacks in this league wouldn't have gotten it done. Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Eli, RG3 (maybe), Big Ben, Brees and few I can't think of might have done it. Rivers would throw a pick or fumble, same with Vick. Romo would choke, Flacco is questionable. Stafford isn't the most consistent either. It's too early to say what Luck would do. And the field goal was no sure thing in that weather anyway. If we kicked a 47 yard field goal and missed it on that drive, half of the posters on this board would blame our QB for not getting closer and throwing downfield more.

The lines of rational criticism and irrational hatred seem to blur on this board quite a bit. I can even understand where it comes from. Every year we play a couple well-coached, supreme QB-having teams, and we collectively sigh because we haven't had a QB like Brady ever.

The defenders of our QB compare ourselves to the average league teams just as much as the super-star teams, while the blind haters only compare us to the best of the best. I personally have no qualms with our QB. I think we have to play with what we got.

I think we put a lot of false dilemmas onto each other as well. I think that anyone guy who still supports our QB would rather have Rodgers. But we don't and likely won't have a guy like that. Especially with the way we draft. I still love this team and will watch every Sunday, and I hope the Bills do find the next best QB in the league. But it doesn't look like we will and I won't piss on our average QB because he isn't the hall of famer I would like him to be.

Everyone of those QB's you just mentioned have won more games for their teams in that scenario more times than not. They are all also playoff caliber QB's. Have Ryan Fitzpatrick ever QB'd a football game in the NFL?........ Crickets.

Listen. I hear you. But the Bills were at the 40 with 25 or so seconds to go. They need 30 yards for a FG attempt. They went backwards and threw a pick. I might be a bit over the top on criticizing Fitz, but, clearly, he is not the answer.

PTR

Well, I personally think Cutler would be a huge upgrade, but I agree with your main point.

PTR

tumblr_maifujtZd41rge9rdo1_500_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=234&q=75

Hey, bro....you lump me in w Fitz? not cool

Fitz isn't great, but he had a pretty good game yesterday... Yes, he didn't get it done in the 4th quarter.. Guess what.. Stevie didn't get it done in the 4th quarter. He dropped a 3rd down catch that probably would have been a first down. The offense line didn't get it done in the 4th quarter. We went to our ground and pound, on first and second down; and got nothing.. Our defense didn't get it done in the 4th quarter, when it counted. We had chances to make plays on that last drive, and we didn't. And finally, the coaches didn't get it down in the 4th quarter. No blitzes on the last drive.. Going into a shell on offense... They all stink.

Fitz is not the answer.. However, this team (including the coaches) constantly crumbles around him.

tumblr_maifujtZd41rge9rdo1_500_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=234&q=75

Hey, bro....you lump me in w Fitz? not cool

LOL! Cutler may be better than Fitz but that ain't saying much. Too many people are swayed by Cutler's big arm. But he's not a very good QB from both a mental and mechanical standpoint.

GO BILLS!!!