Fitz was outstanding.. for all you haters

8-8 Forever?

Here's the break down of the last drive:

Buffalo takes over at their own 23 with :48 left to play

1st and 10 at BUF 23 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass deep right to S.Chandler to BUF 42 for 19 yards (D.Stewart). Caught at BUF 41, slanting from middle.

Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:34.

1st and 10 at BUF 42 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep left to T.Graham (J.Jenkins). Receiver and coverage at SL 20.

2nd and 10 at BUF 42 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick sacked at BUF 33 for -9 yards (R.Quinn).

Timeout #3 by BUF at 00:21.

3rd and 19 at BUF 33 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right intended for T.Graham INTERCEPTED by J.Dunbar [W.Hayes] at BUF 48. J.Dunbar to BUF 27 for 21 yards (S.Chandler).

1:59!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food for thought from the ravens

Entering the 2012 regular season

Joe Flacco's record with 30 plus attempts 22-19

His record when under that number 23-0.

Coaching is the difference here, Fitz could manage games just fine for another year or two if handled correctly

Today I learned that it's easy for quarterbacks to lead their teams to come-from-behind victories in the fourth quarter, from their own 20, with two timeouts, and less than 50 seconds on the game clock.

Oh... wait...

No I didn't.

I learned that the guy who said it was easy has no idea what he's talking about.

I'll add playing behind an offensive line with 2 starters making their first ever start on the o-line.

Or maybe just maybe it was his 3rd down production all game that failed to extend drives because of bad passes that had us sitting with only 12 points in the first place.

Seriously, the D gave up just 15 points ALL GAME! All I heard from you Fitz apologists all year was how "if he only had a D"...well guess what, the D has played pretty good despite the offense not playing consistently well since the bye week. Yet we still lose games. Fitz has been a major part of those losses, including today.

If the D holds the opponent to 15 you should win the game. The offense was ineffective, and considering our play calls were basically 2 to 1 in favor of the pass, who's fault is it on the offense? Its not CJ's fault, he didnt even get the ball. Chan leaned on Fitz ALL GAME...and all game Fitz produced very little and was lucky he didnt have 3 more INT's that game besides the one he already had.

Fitz played a very efficient game. Was it outstanding? No. I can't believe though that you don't care one bit about how bad Snow and Young played. This is all on Fitz? Hardly. This is on a line that couldn't protect worth a damn. This is on Chan who refused to run the ball and give it to his best play maker. It was heartbreaking to see the pass because I knew that nobody would give Fitz any credit today. The Bills had already lost that game. There was no way they would drive down the field in 50 seconds with 0 timeouts. I love how people say anyone can do it bc the instances are far and few between. He also was hit clearly right in the shoulder as he released the ball. I won't go so far as to say he was terrible but I won't lay the blame at his feet.

How did you feel about the play of the o-line yesterday? Or does it not matter to you?

He was above average...Outstanding is not given to a QB that puts up 12 points at HOME against a 5-6-1 team. Never.

Yeah I think he played well but outstanding is a bit much. Between the conditions, the playcalling, and the patchwork (read terrible) o-line I think he did very well yesterday. People just can't give Fitz any credit bc to some a loss is squarely on the shoulders of a qb.

Horrible drives for sure. But lets also not forget that in one of those drives Fitz threw a perfect strike to SJ right in his hands that SJ, our #1 WR, failed to grab. That would've been a key 3rd down conversion. Would we have scored? Who knows, but at the very least we would've killed another 2 minutes or so of time probably. There's plenty of blame to go around guys.

Don't forget that Fitz threw a perfect strike to a Rams linebacker on the first pass of the game, that the defender failed to grab.

Fitz played a very efficient game. Was it outstanding? No. I can't believe though that you don't care one bit about how bad Snow and Young played. This is all on Fitz? Hardly. This is on a line that couldn't protect worth a damn. This is on Chan who refused to run the ball and give it to his best play maker. It was heartbreaking to see the pass because I knew that nobody would give Fitz any credit today. The Bills had already lost that game. There was no way they would drive down the field in 50 seconds with 0 timeouts. I love how people say anyone can do it bc the instances are far and few between. He also was hit clearly right in the shoulder as he released the ball. I won't go so far as to say he was terrible but I won't lay the blame at his feet.

How did you feel about the play of the o-line yesterday? Or does it not matter to you?

Well, did I say the OL was outstanding or something? I can tell you this, there are QB's playing behind WORSE lines having way more success than Fitz has. Fitz had a QBR score of a pathetic 41 this game...slightly lower than his season score of 46 which ranks in the bottom 25% of the league. And the OP is claiming Fitz was OUTSTANDING not mediocre.

And why are you saying how hard it would be to go the field with 50 seconds to get a FG? WE WERE AT HOME AGAINST A 5 WIN TEAM if memory serves me, with the season on the line, and we started the drive with one timeout if I am not mistaken. More importantly, there are many QB's around this league that could have done that and have done that multiple times in their career, so please spare me the sob story of having only about a minute to get a FG at HOME against a 5 WIN team.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I'll add playing behind an offensive line with 2 starters making their first ever start on the o-line.

Fitz played a very efficient game. If efficient = zero turnovers in the first 59 minutes, then yes. If efficient = finishing drives and converting third downs? Then no. Was it outstanding? No. I can't believe though that you don't care one bit about how bad Snow and Young played. This is all on Fitz? Hardly. This is on a line that couldn't protect worth a damn. This is on Chan who refused to run the ball and give it to his best play maker. Agree. It was heartbreaking to see the pass because I knew that nobody would give Fitz any credit today. The Bills had already lost that game. There was no way they would drive down the field in 50 seconds with 0 timeouts. Two timeouts, but you're right: we were not scoring with Fitz in a pressure situation. I love how people say anyone can do it bc the instances are far and few between. He also was hit clearly right in the shoulder as he released the ball. I won't go so far as to say he was terrible but I won't lay the blame at his feet.

Yeah I think he played well but outstanding is a bit much. Between the conditions, the playcalling, and the patchwork (read terrible) o-line I think he did very well yesterday. People just can't give Fitz any credit bc to some a loss is squarely on the shoulders of a qb. The loss is definitely NOT all on his shoulders. However, he is a key factor in the loss as well, isn't he? Or are you giving him a pass? He put up 9 points (The defense got us the other 3).

Food for thought from the ravens

Entering the 2012 regular season

Joe Flacco's record with 30 plus attempts 22-19

His record when under that number 23-0.

Coaching is the difference here, Fitz could manage games just fine for another year or two if handled correctly

Flacco is a much better NFL QB than Fitz.

Well, did I say the OL was outstanding or something? I can tell you this, there are QB's playing behind WORSE lines having way more success than Fitz has. Fitz had a QBR score of a pathetic 41 this game...slightly lower than his season score of 46 which ranks in the bottom 25% of the league. And the OP is claiming Fitz was OUTSTANDING not mediocre.

And why are you saying how hard it would be to go the field with 50 seconds to get a FG? WE WERE AT HOME AGAINST A 5 WIN TEAM if memory serves me, with the season on the line, and we started the drive with one timeout if I am not mistaken. More importantly, there are many QB's around this league that could have done that and have done that multiple times in their career, so please spare me the sob story of having only about a minute to get a FG at HOME against a 5 WIN team.

Yikes. I can tell this is a very sensitive subject for you. Yes we were at home. Our line was terrible yesterday. Why would it be hard to drive 60 yards in bad conditions behind a patchwork line in 50 seconds? Especially against a pass rush that had been getting to the qb all day? Jeez I have no idea.

As much as you pan people for thinking they are in love with Fitz (we aren't he just isn't the worst player in the league at qb) I have to say that you are no longer thinking rationally when it comes to Fitz. To you he is THE problem and EVERYTHING is his fault. I don't get how you can't see any of the other much larger problems with this team. Namely Chan's play calling and the line. Chan decided to not kick a fg and what was the point differential? He had a pass/run ratio that was way out of whack for a game that the Bills led the majority of. When healthy the o-line plays well with Snow and Young it was horrendous. The Rams had 5 sacks and 11 hits on the qb! Any qb will be shaky behind that line.

Do you want to bet on that? There are many people who believe Ralph Wilson is a good and benevolent owner! There are many people who believe that the Bills are on the verge of being a powerhouse team. There are people who believe that the Bills lose because of bad luck. There are people who believe that the Bills lose because of bad refereeing. There are people who believe Chan is a good HC. There are people who believe that Nix who has turnned a losing frachise into a worse losing franchise is doing a good job. There are people who believe that the aged owner has a secret plan to keep the franchise in western NY. There are those people who believe that those who believe the owner is going to auction off the team are being negative and causing trouble. There are those that believe that WGR is unfair in their criticisms of this historically losing organization. They believe that more positive feedback from the raido station will create a positive environment for this laggard team to win more. There are many people who believe that getting drunk at the games and starting fights is acceptable behavior for spectators. There are those that believe that the dullest and most irrelevant team in the NFL should be playing more Monday NIght Games. There are those that believe that Wilson is right in not committing a penny and to committing to stay in the region for a reasonable period of time in return for the public authorities to pay the full costs of a stadium renovation.

Don't ever doubt the capacity of people for being foolish!

look it in the mirror (you're trolling harder than the OP)

No I'm not giving him a pass on this loss. I know I keep falling on the defens of Fitz side but it only bc the hatred is so far out of whack. He's average. The position could do with an improvement. He is not however the worst qb in the league. I think he outplayed Bradford yesterday. He put up 9 points as you state (should have been 10 the botched pat does not fall on him) behind an absolutely terrible o-line. I've stated before and stand by it an offense needs to score at least 17 points in any game (any team) to reasonably expect to win. However the play calling gets the lion share of the blame. Up to and including taking the 3 points away and punting. Did you see Lindell's reaction? The terrible line play gets the next blame. So I guess Fitz ends up in third for me.

Flacco is a much better NFL QB than Fitz.

Flacco is better, but not by as wide a margin as you think, makes plenty of questionable decisions as well. I'm saying consider the hypothetical that chan was his coach, 22-19 when he throws 30+ 23-0 when he doesn't. He would throw 30+ EVERY game with Chan, which would certainy lead to more losses, and plenty of hypothetical cut Flacco threads, the difference? Harbaugh hides his biggest weakness, Chan emphasizes it. Therefore, Chan is the reason for losing.

31 throws in a game we led most of the way? Nonsensical

Edited by corey g

Flacco is better, but not by as wide a margin as you think, makes plenty of questionable decisions as well. I'm saying consider the hypothetical that chan was his coach, 22-19 when he throws 30+ 23-0 when he doesn't. He would throw 30+ EVERY game with Chan, which would certainy lead to more losses, and plenty of hypothetical cut Flacco threads, the difference? Harbaugh hides his biggest weakness, Chan emphasizes it. Therefore, Chan is the reason for losing.

EXACTLY!!!! This is a great comparison. Most impressive, sir!

He was hit as the ball came out, causing the errant throw; and the game was over long before the pick. The poor clock management, lack of TO's, and the sack made sure of that.

Dude, there was a 3 man rush. If Fitz can't maneuver his feet well enough to step into a throw, the way good QBs do, then that is on him. I had to edit because you mentioned the sack. That was also on Fitz because he didn't recognize that 6 guys were coming.

Alphadawg won this debate and it's not even close. If Fitz is so "outstanding", why is it 90% had a strong feeling the game would end on an interception? Poor play call? Bad route? It's funny how stuff like this affects good QBs much less than it affects Fitz. He is the most unlucky "outstanding" QB in the league. 3 years straight.

Edited by JPS

Some of you Bills fans have the same problem that Nix/Gailey have.

You hold onto this tiny little glimpses of competent play that pop up every 2-3 weeks from Fitzpatrick... believing that just someday, just maybe... he will become the quarterback we are all hoping for.

Here is the thing.

Do you realize that EVERY SINGLE quarterback in the league can put together a good game once in awhile.

Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, John Skelton, etc., have all had good games this season. Even ex-Bills like JP Losman, Trent Edwards and Rob Johnson had times where they looked good.

The key is CONSISTENCY.

How do they look game by game...quarter by quarter...drive by drive? Do they play good against strong defenses or just weak ones? Do they play well on the road?

Do they make plays in the clutch or do they just rack up stats in garbage time? Can they make big throws or is everything screens and dump offs? Do they crack under pressure?

Do they elevate the play of guys around them?

Christian Ponder is a great non-Bills example.

The guy has games like Week 6 against Washington (350 yards and 2 touchdowns) or Week 2 against Indianapolis (250 yards and 2 touchdowns).

BUT...

He also has 3 games this season with LESS than 100 yards passing. He has 5 games with LESS than 150 yards passing. He has 5 games with multiple turnovers.

If I'm Leslie Frazier, I'm scouting for a new quarterback in 2013.

If I'm Chan Gailey (assuming he's coaching the Vikings), I'm desperately grasping at those Week 2 and 6 performances ... holding onto the belief that Ponder can be my guy.

Bottom line with Fitzpatrick.

- In 13 games this season, he's been terrible in at least 5 of them (New York, San Francisco, Arizona, Houston and Miami). In three of those games, our offense failed to score a touchdown.

- In 2 of his "better" games this season, he's had a chance to mount a fourth quarter drive to win and got picked off (New England, St. Louis). In another one of his "better" games, he basically cost us the game by throwing a fourth quarter pick when we had the lead (Tennessee).

- In one of his best games of the season (1st game in New England), he still managed 4 interceptions.

No I'm not giving him a pass on this loss. I know I keep falling on the defens of Fitz side but it only bc the hatred is so far out of whack. He's average. The position could do with an improvement. He is not however the worst qb in the league. I think he outplayed Bradford yesterday. He put up 9 points as you state (should have been 10 the botched pat does not fall on him) behind an absolutely terrible o-line. I've stated before and stand by it an offense needs to score at least 17 points in any game (any team) to reasonably expect to win. However the play calling gets the lion share of the blame. Up to and including taking the 3 points away and punting. Did you see Lindell's reaction? The terrible line play gets the next blame. So I guess Fitz ends up in third for me.

And I have no problem with that. Chan was horrible yesterday. He's horrible week in and week out. However, quite frankly, the QB is always going to be the lightning rod. I hate Fitz as a player, most here know that, but I am also football savvy enough to agree that he was not the biggest problam yesterday. That was on Chan. My problems are that Fitz has limitations defenses prey upon and they take away the few things he does well. Also, he was in a situation, albeit a difficult one, to get us in position to try and tie the game. On a scale of 1 - 100 in terms of confidence in him achieving that, I was honestly about a -32. That is abysmal. Fitz is a microcosm of our entire organization and, rightly or wrongly, will always take the brunt of the criticism.

Well, obviously Harbaugh is a better coach than Gailey. I agree with you there. You're not going to get me to defend Gailey.

But Flacco has a winning record any way you slice it (I think most wins by a QB the last 3 years). And Fitz has a losing record any way you slice it. Flacco can throw deep. Throw the 20 yard out. And he can put the ball is the proper place. Fitz just chucks it most of the time regardless of placement. Especially over 15 yards.