Fitz was outstanding.. for all you haters

8-8 Forever?

Look at Luck's numbers yesterday - he sucked - and he still got a win. The difference is coaching. Fitz pretty much has to play a perfect game for us to win. Look around the rest of the NFL and you'll find plenty of pedestrian QB performances that result in victories. I'm not arguing that we can't do better than Fitz, but he's good enough to win with if we had a solid head coach and a decent receiving corp. And for all those who try to make the argument that Chan "made" Fitz and that he could turn any QB into a serviceable player, please watch the Trent Edwards' quarterbacked games from 2010. We made something like 150+ yard improvement per game when Fitz took over. That's not Chan, that's Fitz.

If we had a solid head coach the first thing he'd do is get rid of Fitzpatrick.

Edited by gumby

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't the INT to seal the deal for STL in your fluffed up stat line? I do agree that Fitz is not our biggest problem. Chan is. Fitz is number 2. Pun intended.

He was hit as the ball came out, causing the errant throw; and the game was over long before the pick. The poor clock management, lack of TO's, and the sack made sure of that.

Look at Luck's numbers yesterday - he sucked - and he still got a win. The difference is coaching. Fitz pretty much has to play a perfect game for us to win. Look around the rest of the NFL and you'll find plenty of pedestrian QB performances that result in victories. I'm not arguing that we can't do better than Fitz, but he's good enough to win with if we had a solid head coach and a decent receiving corp. And for all those who try to make the argument that Chan "made" Fitz and that he could turn any QB into a serviceable player, please watch the Trent Edwards' quarterbacked games from 2010. We made something like 150+ yard improvement per game when Fitz took over. That's not Chan, that's Fitz.

we don't even have to look at another game, look at Bradford's numbers from yesterday: worse than Fitz but somehow they get the win. Why? 1. Coaching; 2. WR making CIRCUS catches on the last drive; 3. Wilson dropping two INT's on the last drive.

He gets the win though. He didn't make it happen, his WR's made it happen. He had at least 2 piss-poor throws that drive that his WR's pulled out of their ass. SJ drops a ball right at his hands.

If I am not mistaken, he had a key fumble in that game, but he didn't have a chance to try to end the game on an interception, the Offensive Genius Head Coach brought in Brad Smith to do it that game. Fitz could go to Arizona next year, about the only place in the league where he could go and it wouldn't be a downgrade.

He did have the game won, but it wasn't in the 4th quarter... you are right. OK, so make that ONE drive (against the Patriots last year).

The only other game we won in the 4th with Fitz was agauinst the Browns in 2010. Take a look at these drives!!!!!!! Is this the same Chan Gailey?!?!!??!!?

1st & 10 at Cle23 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Cle22 for 1 yard

2nd & 9 at Cle22 Ryan Fitzpatrick pass to the right to Corey McIntyre to Cle8 for 14 yards

1st & 8 at Cle8 Fred Jackson Off Left End to Cle8 for no gain

2nd & 8 at Cle8 Ryan Fitzpatrick up the Middle to Cle2 for 6 yards

3rd & 2 at Cle2 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Cle1 for 1 yard

4th & 1 at Cle1 Rian Lindell 19 yard field goal is GOOD. Holder-Brian Moorman

1st & 10 at Buf42 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Buf46 for 4

2nd & 6 at Buf46 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Buf49 for 3 yards

3rd & 3 at Buf49 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Cle32 for 19 yards

2nd & 7 at Cle29 Cleveland Browns timeout.

2nd & 7 at Cle29 Fred Jackson Off Left Tackle to Cle20 for 9 yards

1st & 10 at Cle20 Cleveland Browns timeout.

1st & 10 at Cle20 Fred Jackson Off Left Guard to Cle20 for no gain

2nd & 10 at Cle20 Cleveland Browns timeout.

2nd & 10 at Cle20 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Cle18 for 2 yards

3rd & 8 at Cle18 Buffalo Bills timeout.

3rd & 8 at Cle18 Fred Jackson up the Middle to Cle11 for 7 yards

4th & 1 at Cle11 Buffalo Bills timeout.

4th & 1 at Cle11 Fred Jackson Off Right Guard to Cle7 for 4 yards

4th & 1 at Cle11 Buffalo Bills timeout.

4th & 1 at Cle11 Fred Jackson Off Right Guard to Cle7 for 4 yards

Read More: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz2EfniKspV

Edited by BmoreBills

25 of 32, 250+, 1 score in mid December. and got the crap kicked out of him. This guy is not our biggest problem. Do I want a 6'4" Superman QB? sure , that would be nice. But Fitz is no slouch.

First, I was totally convinced this was just a troll post because no one would be that stupid to call Fitz "outstanding" yesterday, especially with all the near INT's, horrible 3rd down production, and the game ending INT. Then I remembered people like Promo and Bobonators and realize some people have no idea what they are looking at when they watch the QB play, so just maybe you actually believe this gibberish you wrote. So let me dissect it and put an end to this nonsense.

First off, only fools look at game totals and jump to conclusions without actually taking the REAL play on the field into account. For instance, his completion % looks good because 90% of the passes we throw are less than 10 yards or screens. So who cares, those passes do not equate to first downs because we only converted 3 third downs all games. And guess what, you need to convert 3rd downs to win games.

Secondly, Fitz was not very accurate yesterday. He threw multiple passes right into the hands of the defenders that were dropped, threw a game ending INT, missed open recievers on 3rd downs to extend drives, threw passes too frequently to places that made it impossible for the reciever to extend the play, etc. And let me let you in on a little something...if on 3rd and long you are going to throw a pass SHORT of the first down marker, it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that the ball is placed in a location that allows the receiver the possibility of extending the play to get the first down. Fitz is atrocious at this and always has been.

Thridly, I dont want to hear about the D anymore. The D has been playing pretty good, and definitely good enough for us to win games these last 5 weeks. The D wasn't the problem, they only gave up 15 points, and thats despite the fact that Fitz couldnt lead this offense to sustain drives all game and gave the D a lot of work on that field.

Fourth, any one stupid enough to call a performance outstanding that also literally LOST us this game is just a troll...so i am back at assuming you are a troll but took the time to discuss this stuff as without even looking past your post in this thread I would bet good money people like Promo and Bobonators are in here arguing on your behalf. So this is for them or anyone else foolish enough to believe this gibberish.

Finally, the most important stat of them all: 5-0 when we have a 50/50 split in pass to run, or run more than we pass. 0-8 now when we throw more than we run. And guess what, 6 of those losses had no reason for us to be passing more than running, and many of them we could have and should have won but didnt because Chan went away from a run game that was working to a pass game that was not. Not to mention I think 4 of them Fitz threw a game ending INT when we had a chance to win or tie at the end of the game. This has been 100% accurate...5-0 and 0-8...how freaking obvious does this have to be, I swear.

Both Chan and Fitz need to go. If Chan stays, then Fitz REALLY needs to go because Chan leans on him too much when he isnt good enough to lean on.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Yeah, I think we've finally reached the promised land when we can outplay the other team for the entirety of games and still put up only 12 points of offense. He can put up some respectable numbers but he can't find the end zone when he needs to, and his coach is not helping matters any. Look at it this way instead: When the run game isn't producing (or being allowed to by the coach, your pick), your QB has to put up more than 1 TD and 250 yards plus an INT.

Sorry. The fact that he's the best the Bills have had in years does not ipso facto make him good. The sooner the front office realizes this, the better.

Finally, the most important stat of them all: 5-0 when we have a 50/50 split in pass to run, or run more than we pass. 0-8 now when we throw more than we run. And guess what, 6 of those losses had no reason for us to be passing more than running, and many of them we could have and should have won but didnt because Chan went away from a run game that was working to a pass game that was not. Not to mention I think 4 of them Fitz threw a game ending INT when we had a chance to win or tie at the end of the game.

This stat always needs more context - because I think you can group the games into at least two separate categories.

1) games that got out of hand, where you simply HAVE to pass more than run to have any hope of catching up, and

2) games where there was a stubborn insistence on passing despite holding a fragile lead, a clock to manage and futility in critical situations

I generally think your premise is correct, though.

He was hit as the ball came out, causing the errant throw; and the game was over long before the pick. The poor clock management, lack of TO's, and the sack made sure of that.

No offense, but one of the silliest excuses I have seen on here and that is saying a lot. First off, he was barely touched and even the announcers said it had no impact really on the throw because the ball had already come out basically. Secondly, there was plenty of time, we only needed a FG.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: THERE WAS PLENTY OF TIME FOR A QB TO GET HIS TEAM INTO FG POSITION...whether you want to talk about the time left at the INT, the time on the clock when the drive started, etc. At all points, there was PLENTY of time for a real QB, even a rookie QB like some of the rookies this year, to get there. So sick of the excuses. This guy folds under pressure and thats about the only thing he does consistently.

Yeah, I think we've finally reached the promised land when we can outplay the other team for the entirety of games and still put up only 12 points of offense. He can put up some respectable numbers but he can't find the end zone when he needs to, and his coach is not helping matters any. Look at it this way instead: When the run game isn't producing (or being allowed to by the coach, your pick), your QB has to put up more than 1 TD and 250 yards plus an INT.

Sorry. The fact that he's the best the Bills have had in years does not ipso facto make him good. The sooner the front office realizes this, the better.

This stat always needs more context - because I think you can group the games into at least two separate categories.

1) games that got out of hand, where you simply HAVE to pass more than run to have any hope of catching up, and

2) games where there was a stubborn insistence on passing despite holding a fragile lead, a clock to manage and futility in critical situations

I generally think your premise is correct, though.

I already did that break down, its on page 2 of the thread about how we are 9th in total runs. There were only 2 games that got out of hand, Jets and SF that required us to pass the whole time. Only 2. Even the first NE game didnt get out of hand until the end of the 3rd, and when we were running earlier in the game we were winning and when we came out in the 2nd half we decided to pass (despite all of Fitz's turnovers) and go away from the run...all of a sudden more turnovers and constant 3 and outs and NE went up big.

So I understand context, which is actually always my points as its foolish to look at totals. However, I already broke the context of those games down and didn't want to post it again here and just summarized. In 6 of our 8 losses there was literally no reason what so ever to abandon the run, in fact, in several of those games Spiller was averaging an insane YPC and our most effective player and yet we abandoned it...not to mention FJ was often doing good too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Today I learned that it's easy for quarterbacks to lead their teams to come-from-behind victories in the fourth quarter, from their own 20, with two timeouts, and less than 50 seconds on the game clock.

Oh... wait...

No I didn't.

I learned that the guy who said it was easy has no idea what he's talking about.

I don't think that Fitz or Gailey would actually say an excuse like that out loud so others could hear it. Silly? That throw was vintage Fitz, over and over, when the Chip's are on the table, he throws dumb interceptions. Never fails. Edited by BuffBill

I don't think that Fitz or Gailey would actually say an excuse like that out loud so others could hear it. Silly? That throw was vintage Fitz, over and over, when the Chip's are on the table, he throws dumb interceptions. Never fails.

I see... so you think he lost the game because he threw an interception from his own 30, with 20ish seconds left on the clock, and no timeouts?

25 of 32, 250+, 1 score in mid December. and got the crap kicked out of him. This guy is not our biggest problem. Do I want a 6'4" Superman QB? sure , that would be nice. But Fitz is no slouch.

Yet when it counted most...he throws an INT? Yeah, this GUY is great...no slouch!

I see... so you think he lost the game because he threw an interception from his own 30, with 20ish seconds left on the clock, and no timeouts?

Never said he lost it all by himself, but he sure the heck did his share, and usually his share of losses is more then it was yesterday. But like I said, never fails, but the ball in his hands in crunch time and here comed the pick, at least 75% of the time, if not more.

Here's the break down of the last drive:

Buffalo takes over at their own 23 with :48 left to play

1st and 10 at BUF 23 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass deep right to S.Chandler to BUF 42 for 19 yards (D.Stewart). Caught at BUF 41, slanting from middle.

Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:34.

1st and 10 at BUF 42 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep left to T.Graham (J.Jenkins). Receiver and coverage at SL 20.

2nd and 10 at BUF 42 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick sacked at BUF 33 for -9 yards (R.Quinn).

Timeout #3 by BUF at 00:21.

3rd and 19 at BUF 33 (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right intended for T.Graham INTERCEPTED by J.Dunbar [W.Hayes] at BUF 48. J.Dunbar to BUF 27 for 21 yards (S.Chandler).

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Or maybe just maybe it was his 3rd down production all game that failed to extend drives because of bad passes that had us sitting with only 12 points in the first place.

Seriously, the D gave up just 15 points ALL GAME! All I heard from you Fitz apologists all year was how "if he only had a D"...well guess what, the D has played pretty good despite the offense not playing consistently well since the bye week. Yet we still lose games. Fitz has been a major part of those losses, including today.

If the D holds the opponent to 15 you should win the game. The offense was ineffective, and considering our play calls were basically 2 to 1 in favor of the pass, who's fault is it on the offense? Its not CJ's fault, he didnt even get the ball. Chan leaned on Fitz ALL GAME...and all game Fitz produced very little and was lucky he didnt have 3 more INT's that game besides the one he already had.

Edited by Alphadawg7

He was above average...Outstanding is not given to a QB that puts up 12 points at HOME against a 5-6-1 team. Never.

About 1 minute BEFORE the game ending pick, I actually stated on the "Shout Box", something along the lines of about time

for Fitz to throw the pick.

There were like 25 people logged on, so someone had to have seen it.

Just saying.

Steve Stojan - " like clockwork".

I said that in the 2nd quarter when a poster called pepsi was whining that we are so negative on here! I also stated that SJohnson cant make the important catch.

If I try to sell this amazing vision people wont buy it cuz they have already seen rocky 1 through 6!