Chan NOT the man for the job going forward.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be open to Haslett, but not my first choice.

Ryan from Dallas is more attractive candidate to me. But also, I would like someone like Brian Billick who has some proven credibility. This is a guy who took a mediocre QB to a SB win featuring a dominant running game and great D. Well, we have 2 of those things, and with more experience our D could be much improved next year like it has been since the Bye week.

I would be open to Haslett, but not my first choice.

Ryan from Dallas is more attractive candidate to me. But also, I would like someone like Brian Billick who has some proven credibility. This is a guy who took a mediocre QB to a SB win featuring a dominant running game and great D. Well, we have 2 of those things, and with more experience our D could be much improved next year like it has been since the Bye week.

I understand and agree with you but I am looking at the realistic chance that he might be favored by Wilson slightly more since he has ties to the Bills.

CBF

I understand and agree with you but I am looking at the realistic chance that he might be favored by Wilson slightly more since he has ties to the Bills.

CBF

Yeah, unfortunately you are right and that's the kind of thing this team would look at more than someone being the right fit. And like I said, I would welcome Haslett at this point, I just prefer someone else and think this team is built like a team Billick could do so much more with. He won a SB with a similar roster in Balt. Only one legit receiving option (Sharpe), a mediocre QB (anyone who can execute the way he was asked and help his team win a SB is at least mediocre even though many label Dilfer terrible), stud at RB (Lewis) and a dominant D. Well, we have a better RB IMO, a solid TE, a better WR core, and an up and coming D. Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

And lets not forget, before Balt he was considered one of the better offensive minds in the NFL. He lost some of that luster, but that was because he was saddled with such a sad sack of QB's, the one area Balt never got right until they drafted Flacco. They spent those years focusing on D and he never had the weapons to show case his offense again. But unlike Chan, he adjusted and won a SB because of it.

No way they win that SB if he tries the same air attack he had been known for in Minny. But thats what good coaches do...adjust to the talent of the team...something Chan refuses to do and refused to do in KC which also got him fired.

The thing that gives me pause about Brian Billick is that despite being a coach with a Super Bowl victory and a .556 winning percentage and despite being regarded as a sharp NFL mind, no NFL team has hired him away from being an analyst to be a coach in four years.

He, along with Bill Cowher are approaching the "Gibbs Line" where you've been away from the game too long that it's passed you by.

The thing that gives me pause about Brian Billick is that despite being a coach with a Super Bowl victory and a .556 winning percentage and despite being regarded as a sharp NFL mind, no NFL team has hired him away from being an analyst to be a coach in four years.

He, along with Bill Cowher are approaching the "Gibbs Line" where you've been away from the game too long that it's passed you by.

Agreed! Id actually rather have Haslett than Billick.

Billick's success was due to Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan. I also think the game has passed him by since he has been out of the league.

NOW, if he would take a job as OC under Haslett, I could get down with that.

Edited by DrDareustein

Billick's success was due to Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan. I also think the game has passed him by since he has been out of the league.

I'd want neither but I guess I'd prefer Billick. He has a lot to proven but he did such an awful job picking QBs in B'more. But no retreads. Gimme a fresh young and upcomer (that sounds dirty). I think a guy in the late 30s and 40s is the way to go. I'd go all in on David Shaw and promise to get him the QB he wants. As bad as Bills fans want to make it out, this team is very close to being playoff caliber. It jsut needs some tweeks.

There was a reason why Billick was fired in Baltimore as he had lost the team, and the world saw that. He also put all his chips in for Kyle Boller, and that was a huge mistake. For a guy who was supposedly a brilliant offensive mind he didn't know a good QB from a bad one...kinda like Chan. :lol:

Jim Haslett is a decent DC but not a great DC, and he was a Jauron like HC at New Orleans (6 years) 45-51 and interim HC at St Louis where he went 12-2. Personally I'd rather see Denver DC Jack Del Rio get hired over those two.

OTOH you have people like SF DC Vic Fangio who has been the DC with the Panthers, Colts, Texans and now the 49ers. That 49er defense in currently ranked #2 in the NFL . This man might actually know how to best utilize that 100 Million dollar DE, along with all those top draft picks.

U of Oregon HC Chip Kelly would make a great offensive choice. But I think he will be in Philly next year as HC of the Eagles.

Also, Mike McCoy the OC of the Denver Bronco's would be a terrific choice IMHO, this man was able to get Tim Tebow to play like a super star! Shoot, Tebow even won a playoff game against the Steelers. Now McCoy has QB Peyton Manning and rebuilt the offense to suit him

Edited by FeartheLosing

I really don't want any part of Jim Haslett. His record as an NFL coach is 47-61. http://www.pro-footb...hes/HaslJi0.htm

Granted that is better than 15-30, but not much.

Brain Billick's record is 80-61 and 1-0 in Super Bowls.

I agree.

I would have no problems with a former HC who has an overall career winning record

CBF

I'd want neither but I guess I'd prefer Billick. He has a lot to proven but he did such an awful job picking QBs in B'more. But no retreads. Gimme a fresh young and upcomer (that sounds dirty). I think a guy in the late 30s and 40s is the way to go. I'd go all in on David Shaw and promise to get him the QB he wants. As bad as Bills fans want to make it out, this team is very close to being playoff caliber. It jsut needs some tweeks.

Agreed there. I think there is a lot more talent on this team than there was in 2009. New QB, some LB help, and a coach that INSISTS on winning, and we're right there.

Lets keep in mind that Newsome picked the QB's as GM in Baltimore, not Billick. Billick had to roll with Boller like most clubs do when the team invest an early pick on a kid with a lot of physical gifts. Its not like he had his pick of Aaron Rodgers or Boller to start and then shipped out Rodgers to keep Boller.

And in Baltimore, the players were all picked by Newsome. Billick recognized the short comings at QB and found ways to win inspite of the lack of talent at QB. Newsome put so much draft attention on defense that the offense for years lacked playmakers. I mean they never even had a real WR in his prime until they finally traded for Boldin and that was after Billick was gone. Once Sharpe and Lewis retired, there was little to no talent on that offense, and that was all Newsome.

So, I think Billick gets a bad rap for the offensive woes in Balt because it wasn't like they were missing one piece, the whole offense was devoid of talent thanks to defensive heavy drafts. If Billick was in a Mike Holmgren sitaution (like he had in Seattle) where he had a ton of player personnel decisions as both GM and HC it would be different. But all he could do is work with the people there, and that front office went hard with Boller tryin to make it work because they had a lot invested in him and no other real options. Remember, that was still a dominant defensive team, so they tried hard to make what they had work before starting over when they finally drafted Flacco after Billick was let go.

And Billick was offered some jobs, he just turned them down and it wasn't until last year did he really throw it out there he was ready to get back into the game. Dont get me wrong, a young up and comer is a great way to go to and I would actually like to see us go after Ryan from Dallas as I think he has the potential to be a good HC. Love or hate the Ryans, dad included, but they can coach.

Lets keep in mind that Newsome picked the QB's as GM in Baltimore, not Billick. Billick had to roll with Boller like most clubs do when the team invest an early pick on a kid with a lot of physical gifts. Its not like he had his pick of Aaron Rodgers or Boller to start and then shipped out Rodgers to keep Boller.

And in Baltimore, the players were all picked by Newsome. Billick recognized the short comings at QB and found ways to win inspite of the lack of talent at QB. Newsome put so much draft attention on defense that the offense for years lacked playmakers. I mean they never even had a real WR in his prime until they finally traded for Boldin and that was after Billick was gone. Once Sharpe and Lewis retired, there was little to no talent on that offense, and that was all Newsome.

So, I think Billick gets a bad rap for the offensive woes in Balt because it wasn't like they were missing one piece, the whole offense was devoid of talent thanks to defensive heavy drafts. If Billick was in a Mike Holmgren sitaution (like he had in Seattle) where he had a ton of player personnel decisions as both GM and HC it would be different. But all he could do is work with the people there, and that front office went hard with Boller tryin to make it work because they had a lot invested in him and no other real options. Remember, that was still a dominant defensive team, so they tried hard to make what they had work before starting over when they finally drafted Flacco after Billick was let go.

And Billick was offered some jobs, he just turned them down and it wasn't until last year did he really throw it out there he was ready to get back into the game. Dont get me wrong, a young up and comer is a great way to go to and I would actually like to see us go after Ryan from Dallas as I think he has the potential to be a good HC. Love or hate the Ryans, dad included, but they can coach.

Billick and a first round qb would be pretty solid. This would be fun. If billicks really lookin for a job get er done

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Jim Kelly went to Miami and ran this offense. FitzNoodleArm went to Harvard. At this point I'd rather have no HC and see what Fitz can come up with. Say what you will about the guy, but he's smart, knows the QB (him) sucks and would likely pound the ball with Freddy and CJ. Well, now CJ.

Here is the actual quote: "He had two good runs in that first drive, he gets winded and he comes out." It's not at all clear that it was Chan's decision to pull the guy out of the game. What he actually said implies the opposite. Perhaps Chan is annoyed that the guy won't voluntarily stay on the field and has decided to give guys that are more interested the work?

There's something not publicly being said about the Spiller situation and Gailey could not be handling it in a worse way. Honest public criticism would be better than making bs excuses and insulting the intelligence of all the fans and media. If there's a problem with Spiller just say so but spare us some bs excuse about his conditioning.

Do you think anyone would be offended if Gailey simply said, "CJ has to show us that he has the mental toughness to be a great back. CJ has to show us the desire to always be on the field before we can give him any more touches." Or, "CJ hasn't worked hard enough on his pass protection. He's getting better but he knows he still has to get better in that area."

I think Chan signaled the delay to Chandler and Chandler and the rest of the offense said screw you Chan forcing Chan to call the time out.

'

That's a very interesting theory.

If Chan is a real man, he would resign as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills TODAY

It would be the honorable thing to do but it would be career suicide (even though his career is dying anyways).

However more than anything, almost no rational person would resign because it would prevent him from collecting the remaining millions of dollars on his contract. If he's fired, he still gets that money. If he resigns, he doesn't.

Just throwing a name out there for possible HC....Hasslett?

CBF

You mean Jim Haslett?

I dont dislike that suggestion.

I've met Haslett a few times. He's an ignorant a-hole redneck.

I don't want anymore stupid people coaching the Bills.

There's something not publicly being said about the Spiller situation and Gailey could not be handling it in a worse way. Honest public criticism would be better than making bs excuses and insulting the intelligence of all the fans and media. If there's a problem with Spiller just say so but spare us some bs excuse about his conditioning.

Do you think anyone would be offended if Gailey simply said, "CJ has to show us that he has the mental toughness to be a great back. CJ has to show us the desire to always be on the field before we can give him any more touches." Or, "CJ hasn't worked hard enough on his pass protection. He's getting better but he knows he still has to get better in that area."

Well, if there is a communication problem, and I have never said it was anything more than speculation on a message board, hopefully they get it straightened out. I don't think there is anything wrong with a coach that wants his star player to refuse to leave the field.

Well, if there is a communication problem, and I have never said it was anything more than speculation on a message board, hopefully they get it straightened out. I don't think there is anything wrong with a coach that wants his star player to refuse to leave the field.

Nor do I.

I personally believe that there's something not being said, simmering beyond public view.

And as I said, people generally respect the authority of a football coach and I think very few fans here would have a problem if Gailey was honest about the problem he has with CJ.

I'm speculating of course but I think it has to do with Gailey's view of CJ's mental toughness and/or his pass blocking.

And again I think Gailey is mishandling CJ in every way possible and I'm not simply speaking about playing time.

Let's be realistic. We all know why most top-tier coaches won't come here. Now add in that RW is not going to hire anyone under 60, or anyone who would ever publicly question management, or even privately refuse to toe the line. Which is going to knock out just about any HC who would want to come here.

Wouldn't it be more effective to keep Chan as HC but force him to actually be HC and not a glorified OC? Hire an up and coming OC to take that side of the game from Gailey (not the offensive genious we were led to believe, and clearly not capable of holding both jobs). If Chan doesn't improve his gametime decision-making with a good OC behind him by the end of the year, fire Chan and elevate the new OC to HC, at least he'll know the playbook by then.

Let's be realistic. We all know why most top-tier coaches won't come here. Now add in that RW is not going to hire anyone under 60

Can you perhaps give the name of a coach that Ralph has hired that was over 60? Coach Gailey was not over 60 when hired nor were Dick, Gregg, or Mularkey. I suspect Wade Phillips and Marv weren't over 60 when hired either.

Do a little homework and come up with that name, please.