Cowboys DT arrested: Intoxicated Manslaughter

I saw this and honestly, other than feeling bad for the deceased was totally underwhelmed. Over the years sports, and in particular the NFL, has become this larger than life entity that people obsess over and glamorize and I've gotten to the point where I ignore players and just watched the laundry running around and rooting for that. It's hard, and this might be cold, to relate to or feel anything for a culture of spoiled, over-privledged, arrogant children who think they're above the law and heroes, who've got the world by the nuts, act like idiots, probably couldn't pass a 10th grade math exam, got free rides to school great high school scholars struggle to get admitted to because they're so competitve and yet are millionaires. What's the longest streak there's been on profootballtalk between arrests in the NFL? Less than a 100 days if I recall. I've worked as a professional for 15 years and have never had a coworkers arrest, killed in a DWI, commit siucide, kill his girlfriend, act like an ahole on a place, etc. Seriously, what is wrong with this league and these players? I'm not stereotyping them all, but rather asking a legit question. Where else do you see an arrest rate that high for a profession where the average salary is over $1M. So when you don't see one, the question is legit. Further, what other SPORT has such an issue. None. It's not a racial issue, other leagues like the NBA are predominantly blank with not nearly the issues. So what the f is wrong with this league, seriously. Two murders in one week.

Last week a guy kills his girlfriend and himself and not only is that horrific, the loser was passed out in his car at 3 a.m. that day in front of another girlfriend's house... while his mother is home watching his 3-month old child. Then he apparently comes home and goes bonkers on HER for being out late, while he's shacked up at some other chick's place. What world was that guy living in? Apparently one where you get found passed out behind the wheel at 3 am in a running $200,000 car by three cops who conviently look the other way that you're under the influence. They throw him in jail like they would to you and I, his girlfriend is still alive.

I guess my point, the culture of the NFL continues to accept these morons, their attitudes, their transgressions all in the name of money. Somehow I'm supposed to feel bad when this happens or reflect on it with some sort of empathy? Nope.

And go figure, this guy was on the Cowboys with a DUI in college. Win at all costs. So unlike Jerry "Plastic Face' Jones to hire degenerates all in the name of greed and money. Maybe Goodell, Jones and Kraft should worry about cleaning up this mess... the arrests, the player health, the quality of the sport, and less so on world domination. Morons.

Say what you really mean.. The truth is between the lines. But no its no racism in this at all..

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, I have the charge wrong. He's been charged with Intoxication Manslaughter. I'm not too sure what the difference is but I was incorrect with the title of this thread. At some point this "invincible" mentality has to be eliminated from these players' heads. I wonder if a form of the Rookie Symposium needs to be hosted annually for the teams to remind the players about the pitfalls in life.

I'll probably get killed for this post, but here goes.

I haven't driven after drinking in about 8 years. Still think about how lucky I am to not have done anything that I would have to live with the rest of my life - and in turn ruining another family's lives. That's said, when I did think I was "invincible" (see: I was a !@#$ing idiot) I never, ever went over the speed limit. I knew I had been drinking, so, as much as I could I would obey the law to the best of my idiotic ability.

I just cannot understand why anyone would ever drink and drive and then travel, as is being reported here, "at a high rate of speed."

That's all I got on this one. Tragedy that happens all too often. I guess this could turn political in that the actual fine/punishment for a "first" DUI is absurdly light, but I'll leave that to the PPP folks.

Thoughts out to the deceased.

No "killing" here, I completely understand what your trying to say. When I was far younger(and dumber), I would go out drinking with friends and then drive home, I never sped though, if anything I drove slower then normal cause I knew I was buzzed or drunk and I was scared I'd be caught. Just the same I had friends who after drinking at the same joints I did, go out and wreck or get arrested for driving 80, 90, 100 mph through town or on the highway. Didn't get it then, don't get it now. I guess booze affects us all differently.

Will Bob Costas interrupt our regularly scheduled SNF with a rant about how if this fine upstanding young man did not have access to a car or alcohol this tragedy never would have happened?

Nope, too much sponsorship money by beer companies in the NFL pool. Plus, it's just not politically convenient.

I have multiple friends who have had DUI arrests - none when I was out with them mind you. They aren't rich they aren't spoiled athletes they are pretty typical working class folks. And I think and have always said to them it's dumb for them to run the risk of getting behind the wheel when they have been drinking. Two of those DUIs involve accidents. If they had a fancy sportscar who knows what would have happened.

Easy to throw stones at pro athletes but they are really mostly like most Americans just with more money to get In trouble with.

I have multiple friends who have had DUI arrests - none when I was out with them mind you. They aren't rich they aren't spoiled athletes they are pretty typical working class folks. And I think and have always said to them it's dumb for them to run the risk of getting behind the wheel when they have been drinking. Two of those DUIs involve accidents. If they had a fancy sportscar who knows what would have happened.

Easy to throw stones at pro athletes but they are really mostly like most Americans just with more money to get In trouble with.

No - your friends deserve just as many stones thrown at them. I just don't know who they are to direct said stones, where I am familiar with josh brent

Problem is a lot of people get into the "I've made that mistake" or "I know people who have done that" and don't take it seriously. It's serious.

If the NFL tries too hard to clean up the league, the NFLPA will sue them.

I dont really put it on the NFL to stop this. They have already done enough by offering and sponsoring a shuttle service for its employees. I dont expect my work to protect me from all of my stupid decisions. I dont expect my company to pay for my taxi rides. But the NFL will.

This is more of a personal responsibility issue. These players need to understand that they are real people, just like the rest of us. Just because they were pampered and supported through their lives, and always told "You're the Man!", doesnt make them invincible or above the law.

I dont think the NFL can bring down any punishment on Brent that will be worse than what he is already facing.

The players need to wise up on their own or continue to end up in these horrible situations.

I dont really put it on the NFL to stop this. They have already done enough by offering and sponsoring a shuttle service for its employees. I dont expect my work to protect me from all of my stupid decisions. I dont expect my company to pay for my taxi rides. But the NFL will.

This is more of a personal responsibility issue. These players need to understand that they are real people, just like the rest of us. Just because they were pampered and supported through their lives, and always told "You're the Man!", doesnt make them invincible or above the law.

I dont think the NFL can bring down any punishment on Brent that will be worse than what he is already facing.

The players need to wise up on their own or continue to end up in these horrible situations.

I'm on the fence- no player expects to kill someone but I think most expect a bit of a free pass if they get pulled over for forgetting a signal when drunk. If that was a major suspension, they may think more than "what if I get in an accident," sadly

Agree you can't blame the nfl though.

Agree with you. I am just saying its not a "spoiled stupid nfl player " think. It's a stupid thing far too many Americans do.

Yea and no. It is society but these guys also have all the resources in the world which changes the dynamic

Edited by NoSaint

The NFLPA still offers confidential driving services to all NFL players on a 24 hour basis. The deal includes pre-arranged or short-notice services.

Because the service is administered by the NFLPA, the players' identities is pretty much assured.

The service costs $90 hour, billable to the player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/09/nflpa-provides-confidential-transportation-services-for-current-and-former-players/

If the NFL tries too hard to clean up the league, the NFLPA will sue them.

Agree about this. The NFLPA seems to think this a Commonwealth and only things the NFL can do are what is negotiated in contract and then in order to enforce it they need to get a judge to agree via multiple appeals.

The NFLPA still offers confidential driving services to all NFL players on a 24 hour basis. The deal includes pre-arranged or short-notice services.

Because the service is administered by the NFLPA, the players' identities is pretty much assured.

The service costs $90 hour, billable to the player.

http://profootballta...former-players/

Of course you are assuming that someone like cab driver, bouncer, waiter or bartender, who is making pennies for for every dollar a player makes, will not leak this to the press.

Edited by BillsWatch

Agree about this. The NFLPA seems to think this a Commonwealth and only things the NFL can do are what is negotiated in contract and then in order to enforce it they need to get a judge to agree via multiple appeals.

Of course you are assuming that someone like cab driver, bouncer, waiter or bartender, who is making pennies for for every dollar a player makes, will not leak this to the press.

I'd guess between 25 and 50% of players are out on any given Friday even during the season.

It's not press worthy. You don't see bar tenders, bouncers or fans "leaking" this so they should be fine calling cabs. Especially services like this with confidentiality agreements.

Edited by NoSaint

Every time I saw Jim Kelly out, he had a limo. Very smart move - and that goes back up to 25 years ago.......Why would they all not do this?

Kelly made as much in one series as these two players maKE in one season.

It will be interesting to see if this case goes similar to the Danny Heatly case DWI case.

Kelly made as much in one series as these two players maKE in one season.

It will be interesting to see if this case goes similar to the Danny Heatly case DWI case.

Josh Brent's salary this year is $490,000. I think he can afford a limo when he needs it.

I saw this and honestly, other than feeling bad for the deceased was totally underwhelmed. Over the years sports, and in particular the NFL, has become this larger than life entity that people obsess over and glamorize and I've gotten to the point where I ignore players and just watched the laundry running around and rooting for that. It's hard, and this might be cold, to relate to or feel anything for a culture of spoiled, over-privledged, arrogant children who think they're above the law and heroes, who've got the world by the nuts, act like idiots, probably couldn't pass a 10th grade math exam, got free rides to school great high school scholars struggle to get admitted to because they're so competitve and yet are millionaires. What's the longest streak there's been on profootballtalk between arrests in the NFL? Less than a 100 days if I recall. I've worked as a professional for 15 years and have never had a coworkers arrest, killed in a DWI, commit siucide, kill his girlfriend, act like an ahole on a place, etc. Seriously, what is wrong with this league and these players? I'm not stereotyping them all, but rather asking a legit question. Where else do you see an arrest rate that high for a profession where the average salary is over $1M. So when you don't see one, the question is legit. Further, what other SPORT has such an issue. None. It's not a racial issue, other leagues like the NBA are predominantly blank with not nearly the issues. So what the f is wrong with this league, seriously. Two murders in one week.

Last week a guy kills his girlfriend and himself and not only is that horrific, the loser was passed out in his car at 3 a.m. that day in front of another girlfriend's house... while his mother is home watching his 3-month old child. Then he apparently comes home and goes bonkers on HER for being out late, while he's shacked up at some other chick's place. What world was that guy living in? Apparently one where you get found passed out behind the wheel at 3 am in a running $200,000 car by three cops who conviently look the other way that you're under the influence. They throw him in jail like they would to you and I, his girlfriend is still alive.

I guess my point, the culture of the NFL continues to accept these morons, their attitudes, their transgressions all in the name of money. Somehow I'm supposed to feel bad when this happens or reflect on it with some sort of empathy? Nope.

And go figure, this guy was on the Cowboys with a DUI in college. Win at all costs. So unlike Jerry "Plastic Face' Jones to hire degenerates all in the name of greed and money. Maybe Goodell, Jones and Kraft should worry about cleaning up this mess... the arrests, the player health, the quality of the sport, and less so on world domination. Morons.

Well thank god no "regular" folks ever do this stuff. Oh wait. They do it all the time, every day. This never happens in pro sports but the rare time it does, all of these guys are suddenly thugs and idiots. I'd love to see the crime rate of athletes compared to regular citizens. This is so rare in sports yet happens everyday in regular life. But athletes are the most evil people in the world.

Josh Brent's salary this year is $490,000. I think he can afford a limo when he needs it.

And most people can afford a cab too, yet a ton of people drink and drive every single day. It's a very stupid decision that a ton of people make everyday.

I was talking about the cab/limo driver.

It goes without saying that if an NFL player is out in a bar late at night, that word will spread because lots of people (bartender, bouncer, patrons) will see him.

The last person the player would worry about publicizing his nightlife is the cab/limo driver. That's just one person who's working under a contract of confidentiality.