Cowboys DT arrested: Intoxicated Manslaughter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about the cab/limo driver.

It goes without saying that if an NFL player is out in a bar late at night, that word will spread because lots of people (bartender, bouncer, patrons) will see him.

The last person the player would worry about publicizing his nightlife is the cab/limo driver. That's just one person who's working under a contract of confidentiality.

You've obviously never seen Taxicab Confession or Cash Cab. I've had some adventures in cabs but it is always worth the peace of mind to know you are putting your life or the life of others in danger. Trust me, I've driven when I shouldn't have. But after getting lucky, it's just not worth it. And I'm really sad for the loss of pretty much anyone but I'm just glad they didn't take out some else.

You've obviously never seen Taxicab Confession or Cash Cab. I've had some adventures in cabs but it is always worth the peace of mind to know you are putting your life or the life of others in danger. Trust me, I've driven when I shouldn't have. But after getting lucky, it's just not worth it. And I'm really sad for the loss of pretty much anyone but I'm just glad they didn't take out some else.

I'm talking mostly about numbers (# of people in a bar) vs one cab/limo driver.

Then I'm putting a bit of weight to the fact that some of these guys will actually honor the contract which calls for their confidentiality.

The point is that word will get out via numerous people and the cabbie would be the least of the player's worries.

I'm talking mostly about numbers (# of people in a bar) vs one cab/limo driver.

Then I'm putting a bit of weight to the fact that some of these guys will actually honor the contract which calls for their confidentiality.

The point is that word will get out via numerous people and the cabbie would be the least of the player's worries.

I know some places even have a service where they drive your car home. Honestly, there's really no excuse not to play it safe.

Memorial service today here in DFW

Cowboys have invited Brent to the service.

I mean they should. He didn't intentionally kill his friend. It was just a horrible lapse in judgement (that far too many people do, not just athletes) that changed 2 lives forever. He will pay for this until he dies.

I mean they should. He didn't intentionally kill his friend. It was just a horrible lapse in judgement (that far too many people do, not just athletes) that changed 2 lives forever. He will pay for this until he dies.

ultimately, while i get where your coming from, id guess standard protocol is that he doesnt get invited. obviously every situation is different, but.... as a standard i wouldnt expect the driver to be present at many of these.

ultimately, while i get where your coming from, id guess standard protocol is that he doesnt get invited. obviously every situation is different, but.... as a standard i wouldnt expect the driver to be present at many of these.

But I think it's different when the driver is the best friend. I think Dany Heatley went to his friend's funeral. But I guess it's a personal choice for each family.

This is interesting and relevant:

A person who happened by the accident during the aftermath said that the driver (and survivor) Brent, had to be coerced into pulling his late buddy Brown, out of the burning car.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eyewitness-describes-scene-crash-claimed-life-cowboys-linebacker-170937707--nfl.html

"I didn't know who he was," McWilliams added. "But I want people to understand that Josh Brent is not a hero. I keep hearing reports of how he was there to pull his friend from the fire, but he had to be coerced and pushed and begged and pleaded to get his friend out of the fire. And when he pulled him out, he just left him in the street. He didn't tell him 'Hang in there, help is on the way'. Nothing. He just left him there and I want the magnitude of that to be understood."

This is interesting and relevant:

A person who happened by the accident during the aftermath said that the driver (and survivor) Brent, had to be coerced into pulling his late buddy Brown, out of the burning car.

http://sports.yahoo....37707--nfl.html

"I didn't know who he was," McWilliams added. "But I want people to understand that Josh Brent is not a hero. I keep hearing reports of how he was there to pull his friend from the fire, but he had to be coerced and pushed and begged and pleaded to get his friend out of the fire. And when he pulled him out, he just left him in the street. He didn't tell him 'Hang in there, help is on the way'. Nothing. He just left him there and I want the magnitude of that to be understood."

This is one of the worst things I have ever read in my life. I couldnt leave somebody I didnt like in a car like that, or leave a dying man alone. Theres not a word I can say on this website, or in real life that describes how I feel about this dude. Doing that to your "friend". Psssssh what would this guy do to his enemy

This is one of the worst things I have ever read in my life. I couldnt leave somebody I didnt like in a car like that, or leave a dying man alone. Theres not a word I can say on this website, or in real life that describes how I feel about this dude. Doing that to your "friend". Psssssh what would this guy do to his enemy

I'd like to cut him some slack but I too, cannot.

Of course it's hard to put myself in his place but I just can't see my mind being clear enough to leave a burning vehicle and not help my friend out of the car too.

It seems to me that if a person has a good sound mind that he would just instinctively do the right thing in that situation, even if he were a bit dazed and confused.

Save yourself and save your friend. Seems kind of easy.

Of course it's hard to put myself in his place but I just can't see my mind being clear enough to leave a burning vehicle and not help my friend out of the car too.

It seems to me that if a person has a good sound mind that he would just instinctively do the right thing in that situation, even if he were a bit dazed and confused.

Agreed.

The only thing that makes me hesitate at all is that I know sometimes in fear/panic/shock.... Some people just totally freeze and lock up. No one ever thinks they are that person, but many are.

I'd like to believe that he didn't let him die for anything short of that

I have to think he was in shock and scared. Doesnt make it right however

I don't know if you guys read the linked article.

If not I should also add that the woman who came upon the scene said that the deceased was calling out for help and that the survivor was disregarding his calls.

Just weird considering these guys were bosom buddies from college and maintained their close friendship as NFL players.