Cowboys DT arrested: Intoxicated Manslaughter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due process?

the only flip side to that coin is once the blood draw is confirmed at .18, and the guy did in fact die.... the nfl probably has enough that they could get away with an indefinite suspension, but i think they will treat it like other cases and let it complete the process in court if possible. id guess that they all sat down and worked this out instead of having it be contentious publicly. im amazed he was in fact on the sideline hamming it up though. just seemed out of sorts given the situation.

Edited by NoSaint

the only flip side to that coin is once the blood draw is confirmed at .18, and the guy did in fact die.... the nfl probably has enough that they could get away with an indefinite suspension, but i think they will treat it like other cases and let it complete the process in court if possible. id guess that they all sat down and worked this out instead of having it be contentious publicly. im amazed he was in fact on the sideline hamming it up though. just seemed out of sorts given the situation.

Yeah the legal machinations will take their own speed. More or less justice will prevail.

But your comment about "hamming it up on the sidelines." What do you mean by that? Was he yucking it up?

Yeah the legal machinations will take their own speed. More or less justice will prevail.

But your comment about "hamming it up on the sidelines." What do you mean by that? Was he yucking it up?

You would've thought he was just a guy that didnt dress, but was still out there having fun supporting his team. Nothing you'd ever knock a player for doing normally but it did feel uncomfortable based on the situation. I'm trying to be understanding of the fact that he can't just end his life but being on the sideline having fun seems like an image everyone would want to avoid for obvious reasons. Also not how I'd imagine myself to be feeling but who the heck knows how you react. Probably good for his own mental state... Weird moment.

Edited by NoSaint

If Brown's Mom forgives him and asked the team to support Brent as she apparently did, I don't have a problem with him being on the sidelines.

However his behavior on the sidelines would be important to me. I certainly would expect to see a sober and serious person out there.

It probably sounds stupid for me to say this but whether or not he's feeling guilt and contrition, I'd like to see him at least display the appearance of these feelings.

Hopefully he conducted himself appropriately.

If Brown's Mom forgives him and asked the team to support Brent as she apparently did, I don't have a problem with him being on the sidelines.

However his behavior on the sidelines would be important to me. I certainly would expect to see a sober and serious person out there.

It probably sounds stupid for me to say this but whether or not he's feeling guilt and contrition, I'd like to see him at least display the appearance of these feelings.

Hopefully he conducted himself appropriately.

And I can't say what his whole day was like, so ultimately I'm trying not to beat him up too bad.

Honestly I'm amazed his lawyer didnt tell him to stay distant. Or atleast out of public eye.

He shouldn't have been near a camera and he shouldn't have laughed all day.

Well once he was given sideline access the cameras were gonna find him.

As for the smiling/laughing part, I agree.

In fact I generally wouldn't want him really being emotive in any way although again, that's mostly to satisfy my own sense of appropriate behavior.

Well once he was given sideline access the cameras were gonna find him.

As for the smiling/laughing part, I agree.

In fact I generally wouldn't want him really being emotive in any way although again, that's mostly to satisfy my own sense of appropriate behavior.

That's where the even being present gets tricky... I like to think I'd be an absolute wreck out there....

At some point you have to foresee that him out there with close friends, a weird mix if it being home like to him but also what I imagine as very emotional too - there's almost no good appearance on camera. He supports his teammates for supporting him and he's an idiot that doesn't take it serious.

Especially coupled with the ugly reports of walking away from his friend last week, it's amazing anyone on his legal/pr team let him near the stadium even if it felt right for all the effected parties. in the long run, america wanted to see him crying behind the gatorade set up by himself, possibly getting hit by a cart. when thats the case, you can only lose by being on camera.

He should have been up in a box.

I voted for at best in the locker room. Away from cameras completely.

Edited by NoSaint

I know it's easy to criticize things after they happen but you don't see too much deep thinking when it comes to decision-making sometimes.

What if Brent's "advisors" (whoever they are) issued a statement that simply read:

Josh is genuinely touched by the generosity of spirit and forgiveness extended to him by relatives of the deceased, and by friends and teammates.

While it would be healing for him to be close to the team at this time, Josh feels like his presence around the team during public times would be a distraction as the team attempts to qualify for the playoffs and at the same time, come to terms with the death of their teammate.

I know it's easy to criticize things after they happen but you don't see too much deep thinking when it comes to decision-making sometimes.

What if Brent's "advisors" (whoever they are) issued a statement that simply read:

Josh is genuinely touched by the generosity of spirit and forgiveness extended to him by relatives of the deceased, and by friends and teammates.

While it would be healing for him to be close to the team at this time, Josh feels like his presence around the team during public times would be a distraction as the team attempts to qualify for the playoffs and at the same time, come to terms with the death of their teammate.

it just seems like such an easy answer. and it wouldve drawn no attention at all, as it would be completely expected.

Cowboys claim brent acted on his own under some persuasion from teammates. Coaches, and Jerry jones claim no knowledge before he showed up. As a player on NFIR he's simply granted full access to the facility and decided to come.

Don't know what I think about that on several fronts.

Josh Brent no longer allowed on Cowboys sideline.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/18/josh-brent-no-longer-allowed-on-cowboys-sideline/

Rewinding back to our speculation upthread, apparently Brent was seen smiling with teammates.

Yup - like I said. He was enjoying himself, having fun with teammates. That photo pft used was standard issue for what I saw in glimpses. Solid smile, having a good time. Nothing by itself upsetting, but in context, a bad situation. Just to add context to the photo they used as its the closest to visual proof in the thread.

Cowboys' Brent indicted in crash killing teammate

DALLAS (AP) -- A grand jury in Texas has formally indicted Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent on one count of intoxication manslaughter.

Intoxication manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. Brent could be eligible for probation.

http://sports.yahoo....31658--nfl.html

• The car traveled more than 870 feet from the time it first hit the curb

• Brent refused a Breathalyzer test, but because of the fatality, police could draw his blood against his will. He was found to have a blood alcohol level of 0.189; the Texas legal limit is 0.08.

• Neither man in the car was wearing a seat belt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...