Miami mad about Pats playcall

NoSaint

On the back breaking drive to end the game last week Miami is complaining that 6 of the 13 run plays were the same and that it was disrespectful to call it over and over again..... I wouldnt call that disrespectful as much as terrible defense.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/miami-dolphins-defensive-tackles-aim-to-bounce-bac/nTPgC/

If you don't want someone to run the same play against you 6 times in a 16 play, 77 yard TD drive; then force them to call a different play.

This^

Its not disrespect. Stop the damn play. Our coach in high school once came out at halftime and said were going to hold the ball the entire 3rd quarter and we scored on the first play of the 4th. It was actually pretty impressive

This is the pros. With grown men. Professional grown men who are paid millions of dollars.

There is no disrespect here, just like there is no such thing as running up the score.

If they dont like it, stop them.

Edit: At least Randy Starks gets it

“It is disrespectful,” tackle Randy Starks agreed, “but you’ve got to stop it. We never stopped it, so I’d keep running the same play, too.”
Edited by DrDareustein

Whoa, wait, the Pats were dickish about something? I don't believe it.

That said, you don't like it, stop it. I feel the same way about "excessive celebrations." I don't like them, but that doesn't mean I think they should be banned. Like Daniel Tosh says, go ahead, dance in the end zone. Just don't B word when a free safety takes your head off on the next possession.

Edited by jimmyo

Whoa, wait, the Pats were dickish about something? I don't believe it.

That said, you don't like it, stop it. I feel the same way about "excessive celebrations." I don't like them, but that doesn't mean I think they should be banned. Like Daniel Tosh says, go ahead, dance in the end zone. Just don't B word when a free safety takes your head off on the next possession.

Repeating a effective running play is hardy the same as dancing in the end zone.

Lombardi's Packers would run the I sweep until you could stop them. Hate to draw comparison to the Cheatriots

Ehh, youre right, theyre unfortunately pretty similar. And the best part of the Packers was that after they broke the huddle, the OL would tell the defense which way they were running it!

If you don't want someone to run the same play against you 6 times in a 16 play, 77 yard TD drive; then force them to call a different play.

Yes. The fact that they are calling this disrespectful is hilarious. Stop the damn play.

Disrespectful would have been Brady up at the line saying...."Hey Sally....we're running the same play again because you're too much of a wuss to stop it.....set......hike."

I don't usually agree with the "if you don't like it stop them" argument, because the logic is self-defeating and circular, but I think it fits here. This isn't like the classless 07 Pats throwing bombs to the end zone up 30+ points with a minute to play. They were putting a close game away & there's nothing wrong with running it until you can stop it.

Isn't this like saying, "They found a way to win, and then they did it!" Those bastards. The gentlemanly thing to do would be to mix in a play that they knew wouldn't work. The decline of civilization is nearly complete. Thank the Mayan gods that our nightmare is nearly over.

Maybe it's not that Chan isn't a good coach. Maybe he is too much of a gentleman to continually run the ball when it is working. I feel better.

kj

Yes. The fact that they are calling this disrespectful is hilarious. Stop the damn play.

Disrespectful would have been Brady up at the line saying...."Hey Sally....we're running the same play again because you're too much of a wuss to stop it.....set......hike."

I vaguely remember reading in a book. That Kent Hull was saying something to that effect in the Miami wildcard game back in the day. Well actually his line wasn't that pg rated either. That was the game we kicked their butts in Myami.

Let's face it Miami players and staff have always been kind of slimy and fish like anyways.

This is the pros. With grown men. Professional grown men who are paid millions of dollars.

There is no disrespect here, just like there is no such thing as running up the score.

If they dont like it, stop them.

Edit: At least Randy Starks gets it

The bolded is where I disagree with you to a certain extent. As poster number 13 points out:

This isn't like the classless 07 Pats throwing bombs to the end zone up 30+ points with a minute to play. They were putting a close game away & there's nothing wrong with running it until you can stop it.

And therein lies the difference.

If a team is throwing the ball downfield, doing play action, running reverses, flea flickers, etc, then that's simply classless and running up the score.

However if they're actually running the football and using the same play often, then there's zero legitimacy to the complaint.

Most pro athletes' sense of entitlement is off the charts. Like Miami has some sort of right to not be embarassed by its inability to stop the same repeated play. You see the same ego in pro athletes' explanations for why they lose - - it's always "we didn't execute" or "we made mental mistakes" or ANYTHING but "they are better athletes than us" or "a better team than us."

And it aint just football. Pro baseball players routinely get offended if the other team is winning by a few runs and tries to steal a base, even if the margin is one that wouldn't require a miracle to overcome.

I guess we need to hand out more participation trophies in the NFL, just like in Lake Wobegon, where every child is above average.

I vaguely remember reading in a book. That Kent Hull was saying something to that effect in the Miami wildcard game back in the day. Well actually his line wasn't that pg rated either. That was the game we kicked their butts in Myami.

Let's face it Miami players and staff have always been kind of slimy and fish like anyways.

That's fine. If Hull did that he could have been called disrespectful or classless based on that day's behavior. My point is that the Fins have nothing to complain about here. How do you 'disrespect' someone by running the football....without trash talking (none reported) in a 7 point game?

It's weird that this conversation is centered around the Miami-New England game.

That was a relatively close game so actually any play call would have been justifiable.

If the game had been a blowout, then one could ask the questions, "what's the most a-hole-ish play that we could call here?" and "what's the least a-hole-ish play that we could call here?"

I would think any running play would rank as close to the least a-hole-ish type of play a play caller could call.