Defensive stats (for losers) are improving

Rubes

Yes, stats are for losers. I'm a loser. Now that that's out of the way...

Bills are now the #24 overall defense for yards/game at 368.5.

Bills are now the #14 passing defense at 229.3.

Bills are now #9 defense for sacks with 32.

The Bills are still the #30 rushing defense at 139.2.

The Bills are still the #29 scoring defense at 28.1.

It helps to play the crappier teams. But then again, we played tough teams earlier on, so it's just balancing out.

So...cause for optimism for next year? Do we trash it all and get rid of Wanny? Or do we preach patience while these guys get the hang of the system?

Edited by Rubes

This is the way I look at it. This is his first year as defensive coach. Usually it takes 2 years before any type of coach is fired. If chan gailey gets canned, well then who knows what will happen to him. But if Gailey stays, I say keep him one more year. Give him some strong LB's and better depth in DBs and then I will talk trash.

Draft or sign in FA no less than three LB's and start the best three no matter how much they make or how experienced they are...Resign Byrd and McKelvin then let Mckelvin, Brooks, and Williams figure out who is the #2,3,4 DB behind Gilmore. Searcy and Williams continue to split time though I suspect/hope Searcy starts next year.

Yes, stats are for losers. I'm a loser. Now that that's out of the way...

Bills are now the #24 overall defense for yards/game at 368.5.

Bills are now the #14 passing defense at 229.3.

It helps to play the crappier teams. But then again, we played tough teams earlier on, so it's just balancing out.

So...cause for optimism for next year? Do we trash it all and get rid of Wanny? Or do we preach patience while these guys get the hang of the system?

Wanny couldn't stop the Run against Patriots, Titans, Houston etc. Until we prove that we can stop good teams, Wanny does not get a pass. Having said that, I do see the commitment to stopping the run the past few weeks. However, we are still short of a good MLB who can stop the running game.

The defensive stats are improving because the competition level is lower. I didn't see anything noticeably different yesterday. Henne was comfortable in the pocket the entire game and the sacks were of the coverage variety. Brady would have lit us up.

I turned over to the Pats' game late to see Miami driving inside the 10. On third down, Belichick delay blitzed Spikes untouched over the left guard for a big loss and forced FG. Brady then kept the offense on the field for pretty much the rest of the game and cinched it with a FG to put them up 2 scores. A successful blitz in a critical situation? What's that like?

<_<

I read that Mario was tied at 8th indicidually. I sack more and he's be 4th! :thumbsup:

The defensive stats are improving because the competition level is lower.

You call the D's performance against NE as lower?

You call the D's performance against Luck lower when he has his team at 8-4?

Come on AD, you can do better than that.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Hmm...those numbers are just good enough to save Wanny's job in Buffalo.

Unless, a new HC is brought in, we are going to be starting threads like these for years more to come.

Wanny couldn't stop the Run against Patriots, Titans, Houston etc. Until we prove that we can stop good teams, Wanny does not get a pass. Having said that, I do see the commitment to stopping the run the past few weeks. However, we are still short of a good MLB who can stop the running game.

Curious. I didn't see Wanny on the field those games missing tackles. Coaching only goes so far. The players need to execute on the field.

Although I agree @ a good MLB, but wasn't Darius drafted to help stop up the run game? He's been pretty pedistrian this year & that hasn't helped.

Well you can't actually expect to build when you keep changing coaches every 3 years.

I gotta agree. Part of me wants these guys gone but at the same time I think a real QB back there and maybe a competant LB and next year we can compete with these coaches.

Mario being healthy is certainly a drastic improvement. But I don't' think you can win in the NFL when you rarely bring any more than the front 4 in pressure. You need a really good front 4. We still need that "other" DE opposite Williams, and K. Williams is getting up there in age, so drafting another DT wouldn't be terrible either IMO.

Mario being healthy is certainly a drastic improvement. But I don't' think you can win in the NFL when you rarely bring any more than the front 4 in pressure. You need a really good front 4. We still need that "other" DE opposite Williams, and K. Williams is getting up there in age, so drafting another DT wouldn't be terrible either IMO.

Williams is 29 years old and for a d-lineman that isn't that bad. As for the "other" DE - Moore has been very impressive by my eye. In fact a lot of these improvements happened when Bradham and Moore began starting and Searcy started subbing for the senator more often.

Lastly the rankings are a bit skewed in the middle parts of the season as teams that haven't had their byes yet are higher in the rankings for yards allowed etc. due to the lack of games played. Op your point stands though this D is definitely improving.

Williams is 29 years old and for a d-lineman that isn't that bad. As for the "other" DE - Moore has been very impressive by my eye. In fact a lot of these improvements happened when Bradham and Moore began starting and Searcy started subbing for the senator more often.

Lastly the rankings are a bit skewed in the middle parts of the season as teams that haven't had their byes yet are higher in the rankings for yards allowed etc. due to the lack of games played. Op your point stands though this D is definitely improving.

Even better, Mario is only 27. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7750 I still laugh at the people who wanted him cut after 4 games. You rarely find elite pass rushers and you overpay for them. It might be the 2nd most important position in the NFL. Also, I would imagine Anderson would benefit from playing with Mario.

The problem with fans, and I include myself, is we want instant gratification. Things take time to gel. The Lakers loaded up this offseason and are 9-8. FAs take time to mess with their teammates, especially in football and that's why you rarely see trades in season. But this is a defense filled with guys who coudl be considered in the top 5 of their position: Mario, Kyle Williams, Bryd and 2 other guys who have the potential to be - Dareus and Gilmore. When's the last time we could say that?

You call the D's performance against NE as lower?

37 points on 7 scoring drives? Yeah, that's awesome. <_<

You call the D's performance against Luck lower when he has his team at 8-4?

What games do you watch? This team can't get a stop when it has to have one. Couldn't keep the Colts out of the end zone at the end of the first half (though I'll grant that the NFL boned us because Byrd forced Wayne to fumble). 2nd and nine on the last drive they give up 14 yard pass to Wayne. 3rd and 10 on last drive, give up pass interference penalty and automatic first down.

Luck is going to be a great QB but his stats right now are worse than average (fewer TDs, more picks, lower QB rating than Fitz!). The reason he wins is because he regularly makes the plays in the clutch the BILLS haven't made in over a decade.

Come on AD, you can do better than that.

Gimme a break.

We got gashed on the ground when we were in our Nickel with Barnett and Scott as LBs. When we stay in our base, and have Shep in the game, we consistently stop the run at or behind the LOS.

It is Wanny's fault for not getting out of that Nickel, and Brady even commented on it after the first game. And we need to get a better Nickel LB than a converted Safety. Im disappointed in Scott's play for the most part, although he has made some ok plays in coverage, he is a huge liability when Offenses run out of a 3 WR set.

Edited by DrDareustein

Even better, Mario is only 27. http://sports.yahoo....fl/players/7750 I still laugh at the people who wanted him cut after 4 games. You rarely find elite pass rushers and you overpay for them. It might be the 2nd most important position in the NFL. Also, I would imagine Anderson would benefit from playing with Mario.

The problem with fans, and I include myself, is we want instant gratification. Things take time to gel. The Lakers loaded up this offseason and are 9-8. FAs take time to mess with their teammates, especially in football and that's why you rarely see trades in season. But this is a defense filled with guys who coudl be considered in the top 5 of their position: Mario, Kyle Williams, Bryd and 2 other guys who have the potential to be - Dareus and Gilmore. When's the last time we could say that?

Define instant gratification....

And the Defense isn't "filled" with top 5 guys. Mario (maybe), Williams and Byrd. Gilmore is decent (too many penalties). Dareus isn't even close to top 5--he's getting further away as the season progresses.